Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

marian11

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by marian11 »

Hmm what about Fate/Stay Night ? Any opinions on it ?
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

marian11 wrote:Hmm what about Fate/Stay Night ? Any opinions on it ?
It's really good, but it's a far cry from the more dating-sim-ish KS and YMK, which I am assuming is what you're looking for. But if you ever want a good fantasy VN which focuses a lot more on the world and the characters in it than their relationships, and has stupidly shoehorned H-scenes, then Fate/Stay Night is a great choice. :)
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Tsermo

Post by Tsermo »

Fzero100 wrote:
After I played Yume miru kusuri I played g-senjou no maou and I loved it. Although I wouldn't say they're similar, g-senjou is a great VN.
G-Senjou no Maou is quite possibly the worst VN I have ever read. The main character is a complete douchebag (Yes, he had a tragic childhood. I still dislike him.), up until the true route kicks in. All the other heroines except Haru are bland and uninteresting. Their routes were so, so bad. The true route was great, it kept me wanting more of it. But the other ones kind of dragged the game down for me. Keep in mind though, this is my opinion, and I haven't read that many VN's yet.

And yes, Maou is a friggin' badass.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Tsermo wrote:G-Senjou no Maou is quite possibly the worst VN I have ever read. The main character is a complete douchebag (Yes, he had a tragic childhood. I still dislike him.), up until the true route kicks in. All the other heroines except Haru are bland and uninteresting. Their routes were so, so bad. The true route was great, it kept me wanting more of it. But the other ones kind of dragged the game down for me. Keep in mind though, this is my opinion, and I haven't read that many VN's yet.

And yes, Maou is a friggin' badass.
Just want to point out that saying that G-Senjou is the worst VN you've read and then saying that you haven't read very many makes your words much less impactful. :P

As for the side routes in G-Senjou, they certainly weren't great, but I don't think they were supposed to be. The main route is the only one that people refer to when they talk about how great G-Senjou is, meanwhile the side routes are like something taken from a light eroge, where you solve some minor, overdramatized problem of the heroine's and get to screw her in return. They're essentially fanservice routes, and while they don't even hold a candle to the main route, fanservice routes can be much worse. *cough*Deardrops*cough*

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to like Kyousuke, he's pretty antiheroic.
Tsermo

Post by Tsermo »

Flutterz wrote:Just want to point out that saying that G-Senjou is the worst VN you've read and then saying that you haven't read very many makes your words much less impactful. :P

As for the side routes in G-Senjou, they certainly weren't great, but I don't think they were supposed to be. The main route is the only one that people refer to when they talk about how great G-Senjou is, meanwhile the side routes are like something taken from a light eroge, where you solve some minor, overdramatized problem of the heroine's and get to screw her in return. They're essentially fanservice routes, and while they don't even hold a candle to the main route, fanservice routes can be much worse. *cough*Deardrops*cough*

Oh, and I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to like Kyousuke, he's pretty antiheroic.
Yes, that's a fair point. I can see why some people like G-Senjou so much. It wasn't BAD, just... Meh.

Anyways, I'm interested in giving Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo a go. I read it's made by Akabeisoft2, the same guys who made G-Senjou. What do you fellas think? Is this VN better / worse than G-Senjou? Does it share any similarities with it?
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Sharin no Kuni tries way too hard to do two things:

One, to deny that the setting has TOTALLY NOTHING TO DO WITH JAPAN, NOSIRREE. It pushed this point blatantly enough and often enough that I got turned off. I have nothing against sending a message through your works - on the contrary, I'm in favor of that - but by damn, if you want to do it, grow the balls to do it.

For number two, I'm SENDING YOU TO TVTROPES, at your own risk of spoilerage. Yes, it's THAT BAD.

For the record, I read and liked G-Senjou much better.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

There's now an all-ages release of Kud Wafter for PC :D
http://visualnovelaer.fuwanovel.org/201 ... y-new-cgs/
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Awesome! :D Hopefully, I'll have finished the my current VNs when the English translation is released. :lol:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Tsermo

Post by Tsermo »

I guess I won't be playing SNK then. Atleast in a while.

I have another VN on my PC which I haven't read, F/SN. I'll play that one after I've replayed some others.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Tsermo wrote:I guess I won't be playing SNK then. Atleast in a while.

I have another VN on my PC which I haven't read, F/SN. I'll play that one after I've replayed some others.
Fate/Stay Night is awesome.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Draganada

Post by Draganada »

Has anyone else here played 'Hoshizora no Memoria'? That had some really likeable characters and the build up to the true route was brilliant.
Other than that, Rewrite definitely. I'm sure that's already been mentioned a lot on this thread.
Rika > Lilly > Hanako > Akira > Shizune/Misha > Emi/Rin

"And they seem to jam "z"s in everywhere so that they can get more Scrabble points."
Bliisk

Suggestions on other similar games?

Post by Bliisk »

I've completed and gotten the good endings for Emi, Rin, Shizune, and Hanako, over the course of the past week and seeing as tommorow ill end up finishing off the game (presuming I dont end up going for the 100%) are there any games that are similar that you recommend? I mean there must be other games similar to Katawa shoujo that are just as sad and heartwarming at times right?
Xanatos

Re: Suggestions on other similar games?

Post by Xanatos »

A) You have to 100%. It's only optional for Nazis.

B) There are a ton of such suggestions in this thread.

C) Welcome and hello! ^_^
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Bliisk

Re: Suggestions on other similar games?

Post by Bliisk »

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll check the thread out.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I was in London last week and because of no internet connection, I picked up Kanon again. I hope I won't get a bad end this time... :3
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)