Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Talifan9

Re: Katawa Shoujo Folding@Home Team

Post by Talifan9 »

griffon8 wrote:Yes!!! I'm back!

11,852 points for one work unit. It was tough waiting through 10 more work units before I got the bonus points. Mostly because I wasn't certain it would work.

To answer your question Talifan9, looks like just cpu. The FAHControl sees the gpu, but doesn't give me any indication that it's using it. Does F@H not like NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB?
As far as I know it should work...I am folding gpu only (680 soon to be SLI). Would just make sure you have the latest cert. drivers.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Well I finally got passed. Congratulations, Talifan9.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Talifan9

Post by Talifan9 »

big drop in my computer for some reason. not quite sure why.
Vigilante

Post by Vigilante »

Quite cool.
Feels like my laptop is actually doing something, which makes me procrastinate less.
If you haven't yet, start as well.
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

Alright. A while ago I signed up for and then was required to stop on the F@H team - I was a little obsessive about keeping my computer on all the time and stuff, and eventually I had to answer some questions and people weren't fod of the whole thing.

I was having a conversation with my mother and grandmother this morning. My great-grandmother has had rather severe Alzheimers for a while now. It's a painful thing, and I decided to get back on the F@H horse. This is a really old, crappy computer. It crashes sometimes. But I'll be content with whatever work it can get done with whatever uptime I can squeeze out. And hopefully, one of these days when I can replace it, I'll be able to make a moresizable contribution.

Because every bit helps, right?

Edit:
By the way, F@H seems content to use only one of my two CPU cores (I know this because one of my CPUs is getting floored and the other one is picking up all the workload from the other processes). But System Idle Process is still using about 40% of my CPU abilities, and I would like to know how to configure F@H to use this extra power.

I'd configure it to use my GPU, too, but I guarantee that my GPU is below it's standards.
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
Vigilante

Post by Vigilante »

FoxtrotZero wrote:Alright. A while ago I signed up for and then was required to stop on the F@H team - I was a little obsessive about keeping my computer on all the time and stuff, and eventually I had to answer some questions and people weren't fod of the whole thing.

I was having a conversation with my mother and grandmother this morning. My great-grandmother has had rather severe Alzheimers for a while now. It's a painful thing, and I decided to get back on the F@H horse. This is a really old, crappy computer. It crashes sometimes. But I'll be content with whatever work it can get done with whatever uptime I can squeeze out. And hopefully, one of these days when I can replace it, I'll be able to make a moresizable contribution.

Because every bit helps, right?

Edit:
By the way, F@H seems content to use only one of my two CPU cores (I know this because one of my CPUs is getting floored and the other one is picking up all the workload from the other processes). But System Idle Process is still using about 40% of my CPU abilities, and I would like to know how to configure F@H to use this extra power.

I'd configure it to use my GPU, too, but I guarantee that my GPU is below it's standards.
I for one have it on only for a few hours a day really.
When you click on the Folding icon (bottom right, most likely), there's: light, medium, etc. power use. You probably saw that but oh well.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

What happened? Suddenly I'm the #1 producer on the team?

I'd feel better about it if it was because my computer was doing more and not because everyone who was ahead of me seems to have dropped out.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Griffon8's Writing
Talifan9

Post by Talifan9 »

griffon8 wrote:What happened? Suddenly I'm the #1 producer on the team?

I'd feel better about it if it was because my computer was doing more and not because everyone who was ahead of me seems to have dropped out.
After my computer conked out, I got help from team 212997. They also showed me a few things to help the folding process. For instance, are you running client-type=beta? If you aren't, you could be getting 3 times more PPD. They are a little more wobbly in how the predict the numbers, ranging from high to low, but in the end it does get three times more work done.

Configure>Slots>Edit>Extra Slot Options (Add)
Name: Client-type
Value: Beta
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Hmmm... Maybe I should try updating the client. My output has been abysmal those past months...

Can you provide a link for that Beta client you mentioned? The only "Beta" client I can find on the official page is for Mac OS.
The current windows client seems to be Version 7.3.6.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Talifan9

Post by Talifan9 »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Hmmm... Maybe I should try updating the client. My output has been abysmal those past months...

Can you provide a link for that Beta client you mentioned? The only "Beta" client I can find on the official page is for Mac OS.
The current windows client seems to be Version 7.3.6.
It's not the client download, its actually a setting within the client itself. It gets you the beta work units. The information I had in the previous post was the directions on how to get to the option menu to activate it within the FAHControl screen.

And here is what I mean by it swaying points: the above was all taken within 3 minutes of each other, this was after letting it run 5 minutes by itself. note the PPD difference :D

Talifan9

Post by Talifan9 »

Wow, things really did kinda die there.
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

Alright, I'm back!

I've been running F@H for a little over a day now on my FX-6300 and I'm getting almost 4K PPD, but I know I can do a lot more with a graphics card. Alas, it doesn't seem to detect mine, a Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 1GB. I know a guy with the same card, however, and he says his runs, so I'm not sure why mine doesn't. Any ideas?

That said, talifan, does the beta trick only work on GPUs? I tried it with my CPU and it told me it wasn't available.
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
Talifan9

Post by Talifan9 »

FoxtrotZero wrote:Alright, I'm back!

I've been running F@H for a little over a day now on my FX-6300 and I'm getting almost 4K PPD, but I know I can do a lot more with a graphics card. Alas, it doesn't seem to detect mine, a Sapphire Radeon HD 7790 1GB. I know a guy with the same card, however, and he says his runs, so I'm not sure why mine doesn't. Any ideas?

That said, talifan, does the beta trick only work on GPUs? I tried it with my CPU and it told me it wasn't available.
It does. The eh..."bonus" for CPUs requires 8 cores or more, otherwise it doesn't really help. That is using the code "bigadv" instead of beta
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Talifan9 wrote:
FoxtrotZero wrote:That said, talifan, does the beta trick only work on GPUs? I tried it with my CPU and it told me it wasn't available.
It does. The eh..."bonus" for CPUs requires 8 cores or more, otherwise it doesn't really help. That is using the code "bigadv" instead of beta
Oh, that's why I had it go completely wrong for me. I'll try that…

When F@H is back. My computer has made 7 attempts to get its next work unit without success. F@H seems to be down; all reports show no points earned by anyone for the 9am Pacific Daylight Time update.

Griffon8's Writing
Talifan9

Post by Talifan9 »

griffon8 wrote:
Talifan9 wrote:
FoxtrotZero wrote:That said, talifan, does the beta trick only work on GPUs? I tried it with my CPU and it told me it wasn't available.
Oh, that's why I had it go completely wrong for me. I'll try that…

When F@H is back. My computer has made 7 attempts to get its next work unit without success. F@H seems to be down; all reports show no points earned by anyone for the 9am Pacific Daylight Time update.
Yeah, scheduled server maintenance. It's back now. Wouldn't advise using bidadv unless you are running linux on a monster cpu (like an overclocked hexacore or a server mount with multiple cpu's)