Act titles

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

delta
Feels Badman

Act titles

Post by delta »

So, we thought it might be fun to start the Acts with eyecatches featuring a title of sorts. And I guess it's fun anyway to name the Acts. Of course, this is best done after they've been written - but Act 1 is nearly done and it's known what happens anyway. So, any proposals for the title of Act 1? Or is naming it/them a harebrained idea to begin with?

Also, link of the day not worth starting its own thread for: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takotsubo_cardiomyopathy
Anonymous22
sounds kinda gay

Re: Act titles

Post by Anonymous22 »

Don't think it even needs a name.

Aria di Mezzo Carattere?
hurr durr
Losstarot
Editor

Post by Losstarot »

Aria di Mezzo Carattere

You're kidding me right?
"The eyes of ordinary people could not see it for the real moon was nothing but an invisible full moon to them."
frumplstlskn

Post by frumplstlskn »

Musical/opera terms are always classy and misused in animu and games.

Act 1- Interlude
or such
Envy

Post by Envy »

Act 1 - THE STARTENING

I`m shit at coming up with names, don`t ask me.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

I've always liked the idea of "chapter" screens, similar to Higurashi, where, after a chapter, you get a little splash screen, and then are given the opportiunity to save/view tips etc.

Also, each "arc" starts with a poem.

We could do something similar here. I'd like to have 2-3 "chapters" per Act, they're a great way t obreak up the game, and also allow for timeskips and the like (one of the main things they were used fro in Higu was when the game changed perspective between Rika/K1/Takano in the last coupel of arcs).
As part of that, when a new act starts, we could insert some kind of... thing... Be it a title, poem, or whatever.

I also think that any titles should be character-dependant. So, whilst it's appropriate to use musical terms for Lilly, it woudn't be the same for Emi. For act 1, I think the title should focus more on Hisao, or on everyone in general... maybe some latin/medcial word like "Abracocephalothorax" (geh, my spelling sucks).
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Crud has a point about a thing i didn't consider before. The amount of acts need not to be constant across all paths but instead we can use them for timeskips and such, in addition to the big events. We have used the term "act" so far to discuss about the flow of the story (and their temporary names also follow that principle), but in actuality we shoudn't be tied to that way of thinking.

As for the chapters, i would prefer to have only two levels of structure in the text, acts which are further separated into scenes (or chapters, whatever you name them), which can be accessed from the scene selection.

Act names are of course path dependant, just like scene names.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Otaku Dash

Post by Otaku Dash »

Mmm.. well kon my thoughts it depends where you would actually classify the start of the Act.

For example... lets say you put the "black screen" (aka black screen or specific background with the name of the act) after Hisao wakes up on the hospital and he is told his condition (but not that he's changing school). That way I thought of something like:

ACT 1 - "Cardiac Unrest" (a bit of pun in Cardiac arrest.. lame I know).

or

ACT 1 - "Handicaped Rebirth" (as in being handicaped Hisao kinda has a rebirth into a new school and friends)

or

ACT1 - "Rebirth from Ashes" (starting Anew)

If it was on the cold weather, when hisao is gonna hear from the girl he likes that she loves him and he falls to failure of his heart.. then:

ACT 1 - "Cold Awakening"

or

ACT 1 - "Crippling Feelings"
-------------------------------------------

I'll be thinking on some mroe if you post regarding the Act.. should it be a sumarization withough concerning spoilers or a general title?
"Pain is your friend... while you still feel it, you know you are alive"

"How can a nightbringer be the companion of an Angel? ... easy... by smiling"
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

"Expectancy" would have a nice triple meaning; Hisao's anticipation of a new school life after the long spring at the hospital, his suddenly shortened life expectancy and the preparation for the festival, which is what actually happens in the first act.

edit: actually, "Expectations" or "Looking Forward" would be better variations of the same theme
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Anonymous22
sounds kinda gay

Post by Anonymous22 »

If every act is going to be character dependent, the question should be whether the acts should be named at all. I don't see it as necessary, especially if it's just to measure the flow of the plot. But oh well.
hurr durr
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Act 1: Unforeseen Consequences.
TcDohl

Post by TcDohl »

TheHivemind wrote:Act 1: Unforeseen Consequences.
Improved:

Act 1: Parties Unknown
<@Delta_Kurshiva> I'm tiny~

[10:43] <@A22> Damn Dohl never changes, all he thinks about is ass
Penguinmayhem

Post by Penguinmayhem »

There's going to be a party?

Damn, now I can't get the image of a sad Hanako with a party hat out of my head. One of those really silly little conical ones with the elastic band and some tinselly shit on the top. And a curly whistle.

Happy Birthday to me,
Happy Birthday to me,
Happy Birthday to meeeeee~

;_;
Lulz

Post by Lulz »

I agree to Dohl's suggestion.

Parties Unknown must live on in some form.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
Ismuth

Post by Ismuth »

Thirded on Parties Unknown being the Act title.
It needs to be there, and that's the only place it can be without me hating it.
<deltanonymous> If you're not using xchat over SSH to a hacked server you're not 1337 enough to discuss about URC clients anyway.
<deltanonymous> Don't bother.