Your first ending?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Hisao&Hanako<3

Re: Your first ending?

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

Excuse me while I go back to my game, while trying not to laugh hard.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

About the only thing Hollywoods guilty of is making people stupider with their (mostly) dumbass movies and tv shows.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:About the only thing Hollywoods guilty of is making people stupider with their (mostly) dumbass movies and tv shows.
Oh, they can't make people stupider. To see the really awful stuff, you gotta be stupid already. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Sabin wrote:I'm curious as to what exactly you mean by brainwashing beyond the usual reinforcement of cultural norms, entertainment tropes, and the usual tricks for parting people from their money. I doubt that Hollywood is up to anything nefarious, but then again, I don't doubt the power of propaganda, either.

As for the topic at hand, my first route was Rin's, and I got the good ending to it. After it, I felt rather exhausted mentally and emotionally.
The powers of propaganda has been asked by historians who studied populations under dictatorships: the Nazis, Stalin's USSR and others. The conclusions are varied.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Sabin

Post by Sabin »

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:Excuse me while I go back to my game, while trying not to laugh hard.
Or you can just mock us and feel superior. I guess that works too.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

The truth of the matter is, no matter what explanation I give, you won't believe it. If you even have to ask the question, it's obvious you don't understand. Possibly won't ever. And that's a scary possibility. Oh, there may come a day when you will understand, but it just might be too late by then.

So, yeah. My first ending was Hanako's neutral. My emotions were so worked up by then that I wasn't thinking straight. Then again, Hisao having his own personal feelings of disagreement with Lilly didn't help my intuition much either.

Heck, the first play through I was actually doing ended up being Emi cause I chose to "go for it" but as soon as I realized I wasn't on Hanako's path in Act 1 I went right back and changed my answer. Her mysterious nature pretty much had me from the moment I first saw her.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

First of all, US productions are not popular in all parts of the world. Next, the world does not have the US as its only centre (much as Americans will like to think otherwise). The US is a major centre. But, should it collapse, the rest will just have to suck it up and move on.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
sennit

Post by sennit »

I'm not sure how lame this is, but I don't know if I can disconnect myself enough from the story to get the bad endings for my favorite girls -_- Sounds too heartbreaking.
thecakewuzalie

Post by thecakewuzalie »

sennit wrote:I'm not sure how lame this is, but I don't know if I can disconnect myself enough from the story to get the bad endings for my favorite girls -_- Sounds too heartbreaking.

yeah....screw bad endings T.T
"The manner in which a warrior deals with defeat is a truer mark of his mettle than his comportment in victory " ~Guilliman
sennit wrote:Yeah it was more of an absurd speculation after the fact. No more.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

thecakewuzalie wrote:
sennit wrote:I'm not sure how lame this is, but I don't know if I can disconnect myself enough from the story to get the bad endings for my favorite girls -_- Sounds too heartbreaking.

The bad endings are there to teach you a lesson. You made the wrong choices, and you are going to get burned for it. Though, I'm not too found of them either. When you spend SO much time with the character and make a single slip-up, all that work goes to waste, and you're left with an ending that doesn't satisfy, and even breaks your heart. I definitely try to avoid 'em, but if you want the whole KS experience, I'd go back and get them after you get the good ending. (If you got the good ending the first time around)

Also, hi The Spine! ^_^
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

I think I was quite fortunate with my time reading KS. The only girl I got a bad ending for while really trying was Rin. Didn't bother me that much as I wasn't really romantically attracted to her anyway. Hisao says something dumb, Rin tells him to leave, ok fine, go back and get a better one. Then I got neutral before finally getting good. Sheesh. I was glad I saved Lilly for last because of that.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

thecakewuzalie wrote:

Buncha babies. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

thecakewuzalie wrote:

Honestly, I know how you guys feel. I refused to look at Hanako's bad ending for the longest time. But I'd suggest looking it up on Youtube. At least that way if it gets to be too much you can turn it off. It isn't so much that you hurt her, than it is she gets fed up with your shit and tells you off. It's really not as upsetting if you've already gotten her good end. Its easy enough to just tell yourself that its just a dream, or an alternate reality.
Last edited by pandaphil on Sun May 05, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:an alternate reality.
It literally is one. :lol:
synaesthetic

Post by synaesthetic »

Just started going through this a few days ago. :)

Note that these impressions are coming from an almost-thirty woman playing the game. You have been warned! :D

I don't identify much with Hisao because he does and says things I wouldn't do, even if I imagine I were a boy. It's less like playing a game and more like reading a book that has several outcomes, which I guess is where the whole "visual novel" thing comes from. So... I didn't feel like I could project myself into the story very well. It made the experience less, I think.

Having the option for a female main character... yes, that would have been better.

Anyway, I digress.

First was Emi's good ending. This was without the flowchart to help me because hey, first playthroughs should always be blind! The science teacher's little talk about quarks was a really, really huge hint as to how to get there. The whole plot of this arc was pretty predictable--Emi kinda acts like "that one kid" in the Disney sports movies, the one kid who can't quit and ends up being hurt/kicked off the team and goes through huge depressions and yeah. Was a bit meh. Definitely not my favorite arc. But Emi's a fun character and cute as a button to boot. I have a weakness for twintails. They hit for massive damage.

Second was Hanako's good ending. I didn't use the flowchart with this one either because I read Hanako's character right off the bat after watching her interactions with Lilly. I knew that trying to treat her as normally as possible, instead of treating her like she was made of glass, would be the way to go. I really liked Hanako's arc a lot and I can see why this one is so very popular. The writers really did a good job trying to deconstruct the "painfully-shy girl" stereotype that permeates romance games. I'll freely admit I cried a little here and there.

Third was Rin's good ending and yeah, the chart came out here. It was annoyingly difficult to get without the chart, even though I tried. Ended up getting Hisao killed a few times before I said screw it and looked up a guide. Apparently my problem was during "Mind Your Step" and I kept trying to hide Hisao's arrhythmia because I (wrongly) thought admitting it was a Hanako/Lilly trigger. After checking the chart, I realized I probably would have ended up with Rin's good ending regardless because I (not Hisao, mind you) could recognize pretty easily (and early on) that Rin really, really did not want to go through with the art teacher's shenanigans.

As for my reactions... well, I saw a lot of myself in Rin, so... her route was pretty rough for me to go through, but I couldn't stop. Obviously I'm not bad with words (being a writer, this would definitely be a bad thing) but there are a lot of little things that just made me choke up. I may have cried a bit in Hanako's route, but I really cried a lot during Rin's. Much of the later part of the arc my vision was pretty blurry. This was also the point where I disagreed the most with Hisao's behavior. There were so, so many times I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle him for being an idiot. Virtually all of Rin's problems in the latter half were related to him pressuring her.

I played Lilly and Shizune's routes, but they didn't really interest me as much. I suspect this was due to playing them after Rin's arc, being the one I found most engaging, made the ones after it seem... less so.

At this point, having only seen good endings and getting Hisao killed...

Rin > Hanako > Emi > Lilly > *insert lots of empty space* > Shizune (ugh).

So yeah. That's this girl's take on Katawa Shoujo so far.

I really, really don't want to play any of the bad endings.

But most especially not Rin's. Really, really not hers.

:(