Language related question

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Language related question

Post by Guest »

Is "I see" in Japanese in sense "I got it"/"I understand it"/"It's clear to me" has anything to do with "see" verb like in "I'm not blind, so I can see"? I am referring to first conversation with Lilly where Hisao was nervous because he said "I see" to her "I'm in class 3-2". In my native language verbs related to looking/seeing something can hardly be used in such situation. So I am curious about Japanese now.

PS. For safety I decided that he used English phrase in the middle of Japanese conversation.
Paragon

Re: Language related question

Post by Paragon »

I have heard the term なるほど/naruhodo as a pun similar to how Hisao used "I see" in that sense. But as far as I know, that sense of it is much less common than in English.
Stupid internet! Why can't you understand how I feel...?
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

KS makes many uses of English idioms and terms like this one ("seeing" being understanding, but also sight). A similar pun/double meaning could probably be worked out in Japanese with a few liberties to the actual line. An analogy could be drawn to fansubs using literal or localised translation styles.

The reason for this is that we made this game primarily for English-speakers, so readability took precendence over Japanese language concerns.
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Guest wrote:PS. For safety I decided that he used English phrase in the middle of Japanese conversation.
This strikes me as a bad idea.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Actually all the characters in KS speak English all the time. As should be apparent from reading the game.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Validus Razgriz

Post by Validus Razgriz »

Aura wrote:Actually all the characters in KS speak English all the time. As should be apparent from reading the game.
That's impossible. Their English is too good.
aChar_letter.png
aChar_letter.png (262.38 KiB) Viewed 6369 times
"We all suffer from the preoccupation that there exists... in the loved one, perfection."
Major Major

Post by Major Major »

As Aura said, the game is in English, therefor it doesn't matter. Also, the mods don't strike me as the kinds of people siting around wishing that they were Japanese, and aren't obsessed with pretending to be.
"The more pure and innocent a thing is; the more entertaining it is to corrupt it."
Envy

Post by Envy »

Didn't I say some people would be only be happy if KS read like it was translated from Japanese?
JamiroquaiAlien

Post by JamiroquaiAlien »

Envy wrote:Didn't I say some people would be only be happy if KS read like it was translated from Japanese?
These people are assholes. The language is fine the way it is.
Guest28

Post by Guest28 »

^ it's much better than fine

and anyway, the japanese don't write things hoping they'll translate into english easily....
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

Aura wrote:Actually all the characters in KS speak English all the time. As should be apparent from reading the game.
I'll believe it when I see Rin make a reference to Full Metal Jacket or something similar.

"You got girlfriend Vietnam? Me love you long time."
Paragon

Post by Paragon »

Well, there was that reference to Highlander. . .
Stupid internet! Why can't you understand how I feel...?
Caesius

Post by Caesius »

I am not familiar with your geeky crap. :|

But I'll take your word for it.
abscess

Post by abscess »

ParagonDoD wrote:Well, there was that reference to Highlander. . .
Really? I didn't get that one. Where is it?
About the translations, I think it would be good if such references were to be localized, at least the ones that are not about well known stuff. Like say, the nurse doing a Dr. Frankenfurter cosplay, would the japanese audience get it or just go "whaaa...?"
Siiiiigh....

Post by Guest »

Japanese school uses English as speaking language and Japanese as language for writing(see festival - stall signs are not in English). Hmm. Something does not make sense here.