Rins "problem"

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

hypeflash

Rins "problem"

Post by hypeflash »

I was just wondering, after playing rin's storyline, I'm still a bit confused and eluded to exactly what her problem was and what was troubling her. Was it the fact that she couldn't express herself with words, and didn't know how to put what she was thinking and feeling into the right words and sentences or explain it correctly, making herself feel misunderstood, trapped in her mind, almost? So she tried to make art her medium to try and express herself to people that way, but that not working either, because as is said in the game, art is meant to be interpreted, not understood, so there was no way anyone could understand what she was truly trying to say in her artworks, and that she didnt know what was wrong with her? Was she also scared of the future, and change as well? One more thing, I'm still confused as to what she meant by "destroying herself", was that just to release all the emotions that were building up inside?

Anyone's thoughts and clarifications would be appreciated, as I'm still a little hazy on rin, she's a very complex character ^_^
Last edited by hypeflash on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
pandaphil

Re: Rins "problem"

Post by pandaphil »

She is, and I don't exactly get her either. I think you nailed it though. Shes frustrated because she doesn't know how to translate her thoughts and feelings into words and its driving her crazy.

Hopefully someone with a better grasp of her character will chime in.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

You pretty much got it.

I would contribute more to this thread since I understand Rin bit more, but my head is killing me so hard right now, that it's difficult to form a coherent thought.
Last edited by KeiichiO on Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Rin's problem on the surface was communication. Her thoughts did not translate effectively so people didn't understand her and constantly made her believe it was a fault of her own, which led to her futile attempts to forcibly change herself into someone who would fit better with their expectations. Her real problem was thinking their understanding was so necessary that she should drastically alter herself to accommodate it.

Alternatively, Rin's problem may be in her pants.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Xanatos wrote:Alternatively, Rin's problem may be in her pants.
It's not her fault she was born with a taco rather than a wiener >.>
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

KeiichiO wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Alternatively, Rin's problem may be in her pants.
It's not her fault she was born with a taco rather than a wiener >.>
I love you guys. :lol:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Loonie

Post by Loonie »

On top of what you've already listed or what others will also list...

...her 'problem' at its core was that she didn't believe in her own imperfect emotions as being truthful. Instead the only truth she found was in her perfect thoughts. To her the world of ideas was more real than the real world. Because ideas don't have to change, they're eternal, you always know what they will be, they're safe.

But life doesn't work that way. People don't work that way. Which is why she could never understand them (or herself either for that matter). And either she runs further away from that fact into the ideal 'perfect' world of art...or she learns to embrace the 'imperfection' of emotions within a moment.

Now resume sillyness. :P
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

The wonders of the artist's mind.

There is a compromise needed somewhere. Rin should know that she can try to lower expectations and understand others, but she should not bend over to do it.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

YZQ wrote:she should not bend over to do it.
I don't know about that. It would make an interesting bad end. :P
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
BananaPudding

Post by BananaPudding »

Xanatos wrote:Rin's problem on the surface was communication. Her thoughts did not translate effectively so people didn't understand her and constantly made her believe it was a fault of her own, which led to her futile attempts to forcibly change herself into someone who would fit better with their expectations. Her real problem was thinking their understanding was so necessary that she should drastically alter herself to accommodate it.

Alternatively, Rin's problem may be in her pants.
This is one of the best put explanations that I have ever seen, bravo Xanatos
Completion order: Emi->Lily->Shizune->Hanako->Rin
Feels order: Emi->lily/Hanako->Rin->Shizune
Fubard

Post by Fubard »

This one messed with me too. I found it the most interesting path since Rin really keeps you guessing the whole time.

I think the overall theme turned out to be self-acceptance. At a couple of points during the path, Rin talks about how she thinks she has to change. There's a general sense throughout that she's not happy being the way she is. That reaches its peak with her whole self-destruction thing. I guess her aim was to destroy her former self, and use that to further the creative process, ultimately creating art that speaks to people better than she can verbally. There are mentions of butterflies all through the path, which symbolize the metamorphosis she's aiming for (I totally missed that aspect while reading through - only understood while reading that really long "Rin's Path discussion" thread afterwards) but that whole concept dies pretty hard at the art exhibition, where people wind up just as baffled by her art as they are when talking to her. I haven't had the heart to play through her bad ending yet, but I gather that's where it comes from - Hisao piles on with the rest of them demanding she explain it all, and unpleasantness ensues.

My favorite part of her good ending is when she's spreading her "arms" out on top of the hill like she's hugging the sky. At a few different points during her path, Rin likens her soul to the sky (another metaphor I missed on my read-through!) so that image is kind of like Rin finally getting over the idea that she has to change herself to fit others' expectations - she decides she likes herself the way she is, and gives her own soul a big hug. I think it's at or around the same moment she says something like "I think it's ok to be me", which is like the resolution to that whole arc.

It's much the same for Hisao - he finds peace with their relationship by letting go of the idea that either she has to change the way she is or he has to achieve some sort of perfect understanding of the way she is. Once he just chills out and enjoys the quirky enigma that is Rin, things go much better for both of them.
ReCodes

Post by ReCodes »

@Kei
i'll be honest to you
the Rin drawing i was talking about
i'm seriously stuck on idea xD
drew like 3-4 of them but all went to my garbage bin
~WAHAHAHA...~
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7531 <- my fan art gallery

I'm dead...for now...will be back sometimes later...
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

ReCodes wrote:@Kei
i'll be honest to you
the Rin drawing i was talking about
i'm seriously stuck on idea xD
drew like 3-4 of them but all went to my garbage bin
Well, get it together mon!

[/joke]

Also, just a heads-up- this isn't the best place to be talking about such things. PMs, or your own artwork would be much more viable. Not trying to sound like a moderator here, just trying to help out :)
ReCodes

Post by ReCodes »

you're right
play Rin's path is definitely the most surprise path to me since she changes so fast
i think her "problem" is that she thinks she's not living as she want to
just own thought, i'm waiting for a wall of opinions xD
~WAHAHAHA...~
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7531 <- my fan art gallery

I'm dead...for now...will be back sometimes later...
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

Rin is the kind of girl that you have to steal the words out of her mouth. It's not very difficult to understand her, really. I myself can speak in complex impossible-to-deciper riddles if I want to. I usually do it as a sign of frustration. I use it as my very nice way of telling people to screw off. If someone aggravates me, I'll just say something they have no idea of, and disappear in the confusion... which usually pisses them off, but hey.

It's funny how I'm a lot like Rin and can relate to her, but she's the girl I found least romantically attractive. It's bad enough half the women you meet expect you to read their minds. :lol: