Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Re: Ask!

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Merloficus wrote: I had a question for Nicol Armarfi: Not sure if you've ever spoken about this, want to keep it a secret or if it's simply visible for everyone to see and i somehow missed it :lol:
But, does your name have any reference to a certain character from the anime Gundam Seed?
lol, yeah. I caught most of the show while it was airing on TV but I can hardly remember it. I've been using this as my name online since I was 12 so it just stuck, though. I'll probably watch it again sometime anyway. Also you might be interested in this: :)
Merloficus

Post by Merloficus »

lol, yeah. I caught most of the show while it was airing on TV but I can hardly remember it. I've been using this as my name online since I was 12 so it just stuck, though. I'll probably watch it again sometime anyway. Also you might be interested in this: :)
Thanks for the link! It's beautful, and now has a fond spot in my playlist. The way the original and your own inspiration blend together to form a whole, it took me a while to notice it wasn't the original; that and the duration :wink: But darn you! That's such a sad song if you know the story behind it! :lol:
It's nice to hear some other things from you besides the KS compositions, and this probably isn't news to you; but, to put it blunt: Dude, you have some serious talent :lol:
However, at the moment you'll always be known to me through KS, no offense. The combination of the art/story and the music was just so strong and so well done. But your standalone compositions are delightful to listen to as well. Things my friends still can't understand, i'm in my mid 20's and i prefer classical instruments over modern music(the violin as my #1:)
Maybe i'll be able to come listen to you in Vienna or sort one day, you never know :wink:

Wish you the best with your career, and hope you'll always have fun doing what it is you do!

Regards,
Merloficus
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

I was wondering, were the animated cutscenes created first and the music subequently composed to match the visuals, or was it the other way around?
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Reksho wrote:I was wondering, were the animated cutscenes created first and the music subequently composed to match the visuals, or was it the other way around?
Animation first.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
StudyOfWumbology

Post by StudyOfWumbology »

How do you pronounce Misha?
Things happen. For the best or for the worst we do not know.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Like this. Pick "Japanese", and don't miss out on the rest of the links either.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Trivun

Post by Trivun »

Aura wrote:
Trivun wrote:Looking at this answer has actually got me slightly worried now :P. The thing is, I have a fanfic I've been writing for about a year now, it's pretty well established and has a good sizeable following on this site and on Fanfiction.net, but now I'm slightly worried it might be breaching the rules? It's basically a retelling of Hanako's arc from her own point of view, so most of the story is my own work based on my interpretation of the character, however, the actual dialogue for a lot of it is directly taken from the VN itself (aside from a few chapters that are my own creation completely, characters aside). What would the situation be with this? (for reference, on this site it's in the Fanfiction forum, named 'Hanako's Story', if you want to look and see if it meets the rules yourself). I mean, if you want me to stop and remove it then I'm willing to do that, though I'd admittedly be rather annoyed since I've been working on it for a year now, 16 chapters and about two thirds thereabouts of the way through, and on the three websites it's on it's ammassed a decent following of people wanting me to continue, but I'm happy to defer to your judgement (hence me asking the question now :P).
Yeah you are breaking the license but in this specific case it doesn't bother me enough that I'd tell you to take it down or anything.
Thank you, that makes me feel a bit better now. If I'd known about the rules beforehand then I wouldn't have written the story in the first place, but I just reckon that it'd be a bit bad to leave it hanging and unable to continue when I'm 16 chapters in already... To be fair though, it's only dialogue I use anyway, everything else is my own writing and just based on the game, with Hanako's thoughts and stuff all my own ideas and prose based on how I think she'd be feeling at different points.

Xbox Live: Trivun117
Steam: Trivun
Some Old Guy

Post by Some Old Guy »

I'm not too sure if this is the place to ask this (or if even if it's been asked already; sorry, I tried to read most of this thread, and failed spectacularly), but what books did the devs read during KS? Or maybe a personal fave? I grabbed some of Murakami's books due to crud name dropping him a few times, and really liked them (Norwegian Wood blew my mind, and I'm just about to finish A Wild Sheep Chase).

:oops: *Sighs* And yeah, KS got me reading again.

Thanks, for reminding me about books, making a great game, and possibly answering this question.
"I smelled Los Angeles before I got to it. It smelled stale and old like a living-room that had been closed too long. But the coloured lights fooled you. The lights were wonderful. There ought to be a monument to the man who invented neon lights. Fifteen stories high, solid marble. There's a boy who really made something out of nothing." -Raymond Chandler
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Oh dear. :shock:

When left to run amok in a bookstore I usually end up buying ten or so books, and if left alone to enjoy a lazy day I average crunching through three paperbacks.

So you see how answering your question would be a mite complex, considering the time span involved. I can say that there was a lot of cross-infecting throughout the making of KS, so it's a pretty good assumption that if a book was mentioned in KS, or if an author was mentioned in the 2010 "crucible" blog post, some attention was directed to it.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Some Old Guy

Post by Some Old Guy »

Silentcook wrote:Oh dear. :shock:

When left to run amok in a bookstore I usually end up buying ten or so books, and if left alone to enjoy a lazy day I average crunching through three paperbacks.

So you see how answering your question would be a mite complex, considering the time span involved. I can say that there was a lot of cross-infecting throughout the making of KS, so it's a pretty good assumption that if a book was mentioned in KS, or if an author was mentioned in the 2010 "crucible" blog post, some attention was directed to it.
Whoa, lot's of stuff there. Thanks a lot! :)

Oi, I like Stephen King! :P
"I smelled Los Angeles before I got to it. It smelled stale and old like a living-room that had been closed too long. But the coloured lights fooled you. The lights were wonderful. There ought to be a monument to the man who invented neon lights. Fifteen stories high, solid marble. There's a boy who really made something out of nothing." -Raymond Chandler
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

Some Old Guy wrote:I'm not too sure if this is the place to ask this (or if even if it's been asked already; sorry, I tried to read most of this thread, and failed spectacularly), but what books did the devs read during KS? Or maybe a personal fave? I grabbed some of Murakami's books due to crud name dropping him a few times, and really liked them (Norwegian Wood blew my mind, and I'm just about to finish A Wild Sheep Chase).

Thanks, for reminding me about books, making a great game, and possibly answering this question.
The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, and The Prodigy by Hermann Hesse are two books that are personal favourites. I tend to read non-fiction far more than fiction though, extending to the books I read during KS's development. Guns, Germs and Steel, The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire, A History of Florence 1200-1575, April Blood, Brunelleschi's Dome, and The Tigress of Forli are some I got through.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

Some Old Guy wrote:I'm not too sure if this is the place to ask this (or if even if it's been asked already; sorry, I tried to read most of this thread, and failed spectacularly), but what books did the devs read during KS? Or maybe a personal fave? I grabbed some of Murakami's books due to crud name dropping him a few times, and really liked them (Norwegian Wood blew my mind, and I'm just about to finish A Wild Sheep Chase).

Oh damn this is an enormous question, but I'll hit the ones that shifted things around considerably:

Crying of Lot 49, V, Gravity's Rainbow, and Against the Day, all by Thomas Pynchon, got read at least twice during the course of development. I have very vivid memories of reading Against the Day and writing most of Emi's act four.

Danielewski's House of Leaves and Only Revolutions were also things I read during development, probably multiple times.

I read a bunch of other stuff, but those were the highlights.
Some Old Guy

Post by Some Old Guy »

Thanks! I grabbed a copy of V and The Tigress of Forli. Looking forward to them!

Also, I realized that I didn't specify any preferences, but I'll try anything. I don't mind taking chances so much, even if things don't pan out the best. You never know what you'll find. And sorry if this is a huge or vague question.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Suriko wrote:

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy, and The Prodigy by Hermann Hesse are two books that are personal favourites. I tend to read non-fiction far more than fiction though, extending to the books I read during KS's development. Guns, Germs and Steel, The Grand Strategy of the Byzantine Empire, A History of Florence 1200-1575, April Blood, Brunelleschi's Dome, and The Tigress of Forli are some I got through.
Sounds like Suriko might be well placed to answer my question: Does Hanako like reading non-fiction, especially history?
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

To the pathwriters of these girls:

What's Hanako/Lilly/Shizune/Rin's favorite season? :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)