ASL

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

BlackWaltzTheThird

Re: ASL

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

Brogurt wrote:15/f/cali ;)
Welp, it had to happen sooner or later.

Also, you're totally not.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

[...]

And yes, I reckon the idea that deaf mind people learning sign language comes from people barging in because "sign language lulz". In the end it's another language.
It's fascinating due to it's unique characteristics (which are also the trickiest part of picking it up, so far), but it's still a language. It's annoying and disrupting when people throw around random words of a spoken language because they're the l33+ d00ds and want to seem cool, too.

For me personally, the motivation for languages has always been my general thirst for knowledge. ASL specifically I did pick up after playing KS gave me the mental shove necessary to get off my lazy butt.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Zailen wrote:Haha You'll get it Xan.
Well, I dunno if it's even possible. :lol: Far as I know, quite a bit of it does take two hands.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Zailen

Post by Zailen »

Indeed, but I'm not gonna tell you you -cant- either. Haha. at the very least, give it a shot!

And indeed. My wanting to learn has nothing to do with the lulz. I like to...Know how to do things. This shall be one of them. *nods*
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Xanatos wrote: Well, I dunno if it's even possible. :lol: Far as I know, quite a bit of it does take two hands.
At the risk of sounding perverse, your dominant hand does most of the work. The non-dominant has a role but not nearly as complex. I have read of people with mobility problems in one of the arms still being able to use ASL, providing the receptive party knows not everything will be textbook signs.

You can do some two-handed stuff one handed (the other hand holding a drink or food) and be understood.
MutilatedManequin

Post by MutilatedManequin »

I definitely want to learn ASL, partly because KS, partly because Spainish failed horribly (sry coach :P) and I may reconsider my career in culinary to become an interpreter. I think it will be easier than Japanese because eventually it will become muscle-memory

(3 alphabets lol) :lol:
There is a method to my madness, a random number of random steps done in no particular order to accomplish god knows what
Zailen

Post by Zailen »

Hey if you want to do it, do it! And yeah. In High School, I was REQUIRED to take Japanese. I lasted a quarter before I was booted the heeeeeck out of there! haha.
Sk3tch

Post by Sk3tch »

Quick question, just wanted a bit of clarification to make sure I'm not wrong.

ASL is English in Sign Language correct? No need to learn new grammar rules or anything, just a new vocabulary, yes?
Emi Couch to 5k : W4D1 Completed
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Sk3tch wrote:Quick question, just wanted a bit of clarification to make sure I'm not wrong.

ASL is English in Sign Language correct? No need to learn new grammar rules or anything, just a new vocabulary, yes?
American Sign Language so yes, basically.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Xanatos wrote:
Sk3tch wrote:Quick question, just wanted a bit of clarification to make sure I'm not wrong.

No. Completely wrong.

If you want sign language "in English", you want to learn Signed Exact English (SEE), or to a lesser extent Pidgin Signed English (PSE).

ASL has completely different grammar and syntax from spoken and written English. All the superfluous crap from English (stuff including but not limited to 'and' and 'is') is stripped away because you don't really need it to understand the other person's intent or meaning. There are signs for when they're really really needed but they are very seldom used.

The general syntax for an ASL sentence is TIME TOPIC ACTION, for example YESTERDAY COLLEGE GO-ME. Adjectives and adverbs are a combination of a descriptive sign and accompanying facial expression. Grammar is also often shown on the face, and when you use your facial grammar (otherwise known as a non-manual sign) can completely change the meaning of your statement.

SEE is used primarily to teach Deaf children to read and write English, ASL is far more efficient for everyday conversation.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

metalangel wrote:
Xanatos wrote:

No. Completely wrong.

If you want sign language "in English", you want to learn Signed Exact English (SEE), or to a lesser extent Pidgin Signed English (PSE).

ASL has completely different grammar and syntax from spoken and written English. All the superfluous crap from English (stuff including but not limited to 'and' and 'is') is stripped away because you don't really need it to understand the other person's intent or meaning. There are signs for when they're really really needed but they are very seldom used.

The general syntax for an ASL sentence is TIME TOPIC ACTION, for example YESTERDAY COLLEGE GO-ME. Adjectives and adverbs are a combination of a descriptive sign and accompanying facial expression. Grammar is also often shown on the face, and when you use your facial grammar (otherwise known as a non-manual sign) can completely change the meaning of your statement.

SEE is used primarily to teach Deaf children to read and write English, ASL is far more efficient for everyday conversation.

Well then, they named it wrong. So in ASL, it would be impossible to tell somebody a panda is black and white? That sucks. I like pandas. What's their problem with "and"? :lol:
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Sounds like Abathur from Hand of the Swarm. His speech patterns are short like ASL.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Xanatos wrote:Well then, they named it wrong. So in ASL, it would be impossible to tell somebody a panda is black and white? That sucks. I like pandas. What's their problem with "and"? :lol:
Now this makes me curious whether I'm understanding ASL right so far:
Can anyone who's on here who's is fluent tell me whether PANDA FUR BLACK WHITE PATTERN would be a correct way to sign this? I guess the FUR is actually superfluous, since you'd probably guess that I wasn't talking about the panda's teeth.

I know there is a sign for AND, and it's very very rarely used. This would probably not be one of those cases? Even though PANDA FUR BLACK AND WHITE would ofc be a viable way to sign it, it's too contact signing?
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

In Dutch sign language we would use a summation:
PANDA COLOR TWO: BLACK, WHITE
Or something similar to that.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Carighan wrote: Now this makes me curious whether I'm understanding ASL right so far:
Can anyone who's on here who's is fluent tell me whether PANDA FUR BLACK WHITE PATTERN would be a correct way to sign this? I guess the FUR is actually superfluous, since you'd probably guess that I wasn't talking about the panda's teeth.

I know there is a sign for AND, and it's very very rarely used. This would probably not be one of those cases? Even though PANDA FUR BLACK AND WHITE would ofc be a viable way to sign it, it's too contact signing?
If I was describing a panda, I'd probably show where the white and where the black fur was. It would be something along the lines of PANDA FUR COLOUR WHITE (indicates face and upper body) BLACK (indicates ears, around eyes, around legs).

AND is redundant in that situation. I've pretty much only ever used it in the "so what?" context in response to someone else, and that's in an very informal jokey way.