So, is Hanako a Nerd?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

pandaphil

Re: So, is Hanako a Nerd?

Post by pandaphil »

Appreciate the input guys. I guess what it boils down to is that I'm trying to figure out what sort of help Hanako would accept as a sign of friendship, and what she'd see as smothering.
Last edited by pandaphil on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Clearing up expectations is a very important step in relationship building. Hisao did it with almost every girl.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

I'm thinking of the particular part in Adulthood when Hanako says something like, "Every birthday was the same, people acting like they cared for that one day." Something like that. It's when she talks about feeling useless that I feel the nail gun in my heart. I start thinking, maybe Hisao should have done something like ask her for help with one of his classes even if he really didn't need it. Maybe he could have asked her to look for certain books for him in the library or something. In any case, if she would have felt relied on by him for something, she wouldn't have been as depressed when the time came.

I'm not the kind of person to let my intentions be unclear, either. So from the beginning, Hanako would know I truly want to be her friend, and that I'm not just using her or would walk away once I got bored. I'm a computer person too, and her karaoke would impress me too, so we'd hit it off on that. I've always wanted to be a better chess player too, cause as things stand now, people less than half my age can beat me. I'm sure she'd love teaching me that as well and we'd have great times playing that, were I in Hisao's shoes. All in all, my thought process centers around getting help from Hanako for certain things and she wouldn't feel useless or unneeded then.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Hanako is one of those people who are easily swayed by how others treat her, and that has worked against her in many ways.

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

Dude, I'm the same way, when people act like they don't care, I'm visibly affected. However, my confidence has greatly grown in recent years, so if someone doesn't care I just shrug and move on to the next person. Can't make everyone like you, a sad fact...

Everyone should like Hanako though. She's so precious and absolutely adorable. I wonder how she'd take that particular word, "adorable." Hopefully she wouldn't see it as calling her childish. Childlike is more like it. Innocent to an extent, pure and having that flawless smile that you know is meaningful.

Good words to use around Hanako are "friendship" and "love." Bad words to use are "birthday" and "protect."

Man, what am I doing up now, time to get back to bed lol
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

YZQ wrote:I would think you'll have to do a "dual-life" for her. In person, she's the meek/extremely shy Hanako we all know. Online, she's another person altogether. She's the raid leader asking idiots not to stand in the fire. She's the mistress of the lore for the games she play.
She's not just asking idiots to not stand in the fire. She's SCREAMING AT THEM TO GET THE HELL OUT OR YOU WILL DIE, because even though it's just virtual fire, it still really hurts her to see anyone suffer even virtual burning. Trauma runs deep.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

It may be a crazy idea, but it occurs to me that after graduation, assuming Hisao isn't around, that Hanako would make a perfect live-in companion for Lilly. Lilly can probably support her friend, and Hanako could provide assistance with shopping, runnign errands, housekeeping, etc wherever they end up settling. At least it would help Hanako feel like shes helping Lilly in return while she got her own live in order.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Lilly can actually do most of these things herself...because she's been doing them in the past before she knew Hanako. It WOULD take her more effort, of course, so having someone around would lighten the load considerably, but there are many blind adults living on their own these days. Not to say Lilly wouldn't enjoy Hanako's presence, but beyond maybe the first couple of weeks, Hanako's presence wouldn't be vital for Lilly to function.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Guest Poster wrote:Lilly can actually do most of these things herself...because she's been doing them in the past before she knew Hanako. It WOULD take her more effort, of course, so having someone around would lighten the load considerably, but there are many blind adults living on their own these days. Not to say Lilly wouldn't enjoy Hanako's presence, but beyond maybe the first couple of weeks, Hanako's presence wouldn't be vital for Lilly to function.
Not that Lilly would be helpless. I just see it as a convenient way for Lilly to help out her best friend. Giving her a place to live after high school, and allowing her time to decide what she wants to do with her life without damaging Hanako's self esteem any further by making her feel like a moocher.

Plus I think most people going off to college would be glad to have their best friend along.
Last edited by pandaphil on Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Selim Bradley

Post by Selim Bradley »

pandaphil wrote:It may be a crazy idea, but it occurs to me that after graduation, assuming Hisao isn't around, that Hanako would make a perfect live-in companion for Lilly. Lilly can probably support her friend, and Hanako could provide assistance with shopping, runnign errands, housekeeping, etc wherever they end up settling. At least it would help Hanako feel like shes helping Lilly in return while she got her own live in order.
So it would be a symbiotic relationship? Lilly would have help for the things she cannot do herself while Hanako would have a point of security for her life to hang onto. Sounds like something Lilly would do.
I am the male version of Hanako Ikezawa.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Well, Lily must be willing to let herself be pampered for once. Hanako as a butler: perfect excuse to get her into a suit.

pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

YZQ wrote:Well, Lily must be willing to let herself be pampered for once. Hanako as a butler: perfect excuse to get her into a suit.
Oh a maids uniform surely. :)
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I consider the chances of getting her into a suit infinitely higher than getting her to wear a maid's uniform.

Omega

Post by Omega »

Here, I borrowed this from Akira...
ImageImage
**~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-Lilly~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-Shizune~*~-~*~-~*~-~*~-~**
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Re: Hanako in a maid's uniform: Well, there went any chance of me being able to concentrate on anything for awhile... :roll:
On the original topic (i.e. Hanako's nerdiness or lack thereof), I've long thought she'd take to tabletop RPGs, one of the most stereotypical nerd activities, like a duck to water. I think she'd enjoy the chance to be someone else for a few hours, someone who wasn't, in her own words, broken. I also think she'd enjoy actively taking part in creating a story, and would really get into the roleplaying aspect. (Shizune, on the other hand, would be a total hack-and-slash munchkin.)
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)