DDL and Torrent not working. HELP

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
Blip

DDL and Torrent not working. HELP

Post by Blip »

So, I had KS downloaded and it worked great! I was doing some hard drive clean up and, long story short, it got deleted. I came here to download it again, and neither the DDL or the Torrent are working for me. First few times I tried DDL it said "Network Error" and stopped downloading. Then after a few tries, I got it to download. But, when the install came it totally screwed up, a little window popping up saying...

Error opening file for writing:
C:/Program Files (x86)\KatawaShoujo\Game Manual.pdf

Then it gives options to abort, ignore or retry. Retrying does nothing, aborting ceases the entire installation, and when I hit ignore it brings up the same screen but with something else after the \KatawaShoujo\ part in the above error. I keep clicking ignore until it is done installing, then nothing happens. The same thing happens when I do the torrent.

Please help. :(
neio

Re: DDL and Torrent not working. HELP

Post by neio »

You're running a 64-bit Windows OS. I'm guessing the problem is UAC.
Try running the install as Right Click > Run as Administrator. Once installed, DO NOT choose "Start KS" (or equivalent) from the installer; finish the installer, then run the game.
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
demonix

Post by demonix »

neio wrote:You're running a 64-bit Windows OS. I'm guessing the problem is UAC.
Try running the install as Right Click > Run as Administrator. Once installed, DO NOT choose "Start KS" (or equivalent) from the installer; finish the installer, then run the game.
I'm afraid that is misinformation, as I'm running a 64-bit windows OS and I don't need to do any of that.
neio

Post by neio »

demonix wrote:
neio wrote:You're running a 64-bit Windows OS. I'm guessing the problem is UAC.
I'm afraid that is misinformation, as I'm running a 64-bit windows OS and I don't need to do any of that.
You have UAC turned down/off, or you're an admin, or you're running 64-bit WinXP, which is rare.

As of Windows Vista, UAC by default prevents applications from installing into the Program Files folder. The KS installer does not gracefully handle this by requesting elevation upon launch.
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
demonix

Post by demonix »

neio wrote:You have UAC turned down/off, or you're an admin, or you're running 64-bit WinXP, which is rare.
I installed on windows 7 home premium x64 with the game still running on windows 8 pro x64, and all I got when I ran the installer was the usual UAC prompt asking me if I wanted to allow the program to run (the icon for the installer has the UAC shield over it) and if you select no then the installer just won't run.

There isn't any need to run the game will full admin privileges (even with an admin account) as it isn't required, and the OP was talking about the installer and not the game itself.
neio

Post by neio »

demonix wrote:
neio wrote:You have UAC turned down/off, or you're an admin, or you're running 64-bit WinXP, which is rare.
I installed on windows 7 home premium x64 with the game still running on windows 8 pro x64, and all I got when I ran the installer was the usual UAC prompt asking me if I wanted to allow the program to run (the icon for the installer has the UAC shield over it) and if you select no then the installer just won't run.
Good for you. This behavior is not universal.
There isn't any need to run the game will full admin privileges (even with an admin account) as it isn't required, and the OP was talking about the installer and not the game itself.
When did I ever advocate running the game with admin privileges?
neio wrote:Once installed, DO NOT choose "Start KS" (or equivalent) from the installer; finish the installer, then run the game.
Wasn't I always talking about "the installer and not the game itself?"
neio wrote:Try running the install as Right Click > Run as Administrator.
I know my shit, thank you, now lets return this thread to helping the OP.