Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

HLGU

Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by HLGU »

while playing my favorite character's route on KS, I used to have this bizarre feeling
that sometimes, I 'forget' about the disabilities of the girls.
not that I actually forget the fact that Lily's blindness or Rin's armlessness.

but it's like..
for example, even though Hanako's wounds are obvious and constantly visible on her illustrations, I un-notice the fact that Hanako's right-half body is burnt.
And even though the fact of Emi having no legs is frequently implied on the story, I cannot think of her as 'amputee',
though i might see her as a girl 'with no legs', but for me that is something just like 'with short hair' or 'with long eyelashes'.
Emi can dash three times faster than me without legs, and she's friggin adorable with no legs, so fuclc the legs i guess.
(and it kinda kills me that she's nonexisting in this realm of reality.)

maybe i started to see them as perfectly normal girls.
which they actually are. they just have had harder lives, much harder ones, than many of us.

not sure i described the feeling right, but anybody felt the same way?
Umber

Re: Forgetting about the 'Katawa' part

Post by Umber »

The game focuses on creating a person with a personality, and focuses on that, rather than their disabilities. So yeah, I felt the same way playing through the game. Their disadvantages, to me, were just something that presented a different way for them to experience life. Didn't mind.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
HLGU

Post by HLGU »

Umber wrote:The game focuses on creating a person with a personality, and focuses on that, rather than their disabilities.

that is true. and I'm not complaining.. it's a good feeling actually :D
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Umber wrote:The game focuses on creating a person with a personality, and focuses on that, rather than their disabilities. So yeah, I felt the same way playing through the game. Their disadvantages, to me, were just something that presented a different way for them to experience life. Didn't mind.
^^^^^^
This.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

The issues the girls face are mostly psychological ones. The physical disabilities may or may not contribute directly to said issues.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
win746

Post by win746 »

The physical disabilities is pretty much just the theme of that, even if they're not what people consider "normal", they all go through emotional events and life like anyone else. Just look at Rin, her problems have no relation to her missing arms at all. This is the reason KS is so brilliant.
Katie wrote:I hate men
This board is being invaded by feminists, spread the word!
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Rin is pretty much the only one. Lily and Shizune had family issues stemming from their disabilities, while Hanako and Emi had huge baggage from the events which resulted in their physical conditions.
Last edited by YZQ on Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I think you guys have pretty much nailed it. Everyone in the vn could just as easily be a "normal" girl. They simply each have a particular physical aspect that makes life a little more difficult, but which they've adjusted to fairly easily.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

It's true, the girls could be regular, easily, if they didn't have their disabilites, and yet, you have to consider that some of these people have been seriously shaped by their disabilites - as well as the way they occured, for some of them, but that's a given.

Also, I'm no expert on Japanese (yet), but I think "katawa" means girl, and "shoujo" is the part that means "cripple". I could be completely wrong, though.
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

FoxtrotZero wrote:
Also, I'm no expert on Japanese (yet), but I think "katawa" means girl, and "shoujo" is the part that means "cripple". I could be completely wrong, though.

I think its the other way around actually.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Shironeko

Post by Shironeko »

I don't really forget about their disabilities, but as I've read the novel more and more they have become less obvious for me. For example Hanako's scars really caught my attention at first, but now that I'm used to them they're just an identifying feature just, like you said, the color of her hair. It's the same with Lily's blindness, Rin's lack of arms, and Shizune's deafness.

As for Emi, however, I'll admit that it's easy to forget she has no legs. Her legs really don't affect how she acts like some of the other girls disabilities do, but with that said, I haven't played Emi's path yet.
FoxtrotZero wrote:Also, I'm no expert on Japanese (yet), but I think "katawa" means girl, and "shoujo" is the part that means "cripple". I could be completely wrong, though.
Nope, it's the other way around. Shoujo means girl and katawa means cripple.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Shironeko wrote:
As for Emi, however, I'll admit that it's easy to forget she has no legs. Her legs really don't affect how she acts like some of the other girls disabilities do, but with that said, I haven't played Emi's path yet.
The fact that we only see her from the waist up for 90% of the game helps too. :)

I think Rin is the one who actually has the most difficulties. Unfortunately the game doesn't really go that deeply into has she functions and take's care of herself.
Last edited by pandaphil on Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RichieBerry

Post by RichieBerry »

pandaphil wrote:The fact that we only see her from the waste up for 90% of the game helps too. :)
From the waste up...? Would that be like those Rin in a Bin pictures Xanatos keeps posting?

Ahem, sorry, I couldn't help myself. But on topic, yeah, the disabilities are the frame for KS, but it focuses more on their emotions. Emi's "disability" that really affects the game is her difficulty trusting people (or rather, trusting that they won't die on her), not her legs. Rin's story is entirely about her personality quirks, not her arms.
"Why do you make that noise? Are you mad? Well, obviously. Good. Your sweater is terrible, and I want you to feel bad about it. The burn tells me it is working."
"I like my sweater."
"I'm sure you like huffing glue, too. That doesn't make it right."
Warwise

Post by Warwise »

That is one of the themes of the game: These are just normal people, and you should look at their problems as a minor aspect of their personality. In act 1 they deal with this a lot, mainly through your dialogues with some of the school staff.
BananaPudding

Post by BananaPudding »

I also was jarred a bit, partly because I didn't actually know what "katawa shoujo" meant, but after playing through I now see the disabilities like some of you are saying, just a characteristic, like the color of their hair, especially for emi (who was my first route) where it might just make her that much cuter
Completion order: Emi->Lily->Shizune->Hanako->Rin
Feels order: Emi->lily/Hanako->Rin->Shizune