Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Flutterz

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Flutterz wrote:I'm done with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and it's certainly something else. The developers and everyone else refer to is as a "sound novel", but I don't really like that title. It's still a visual novel, even if it focuses less on the visual aspect and more on the writing and sound. While the music is nice and thematic and the sound effects are fitting, it's not that much more than some other VNs do, and the visuals aren't completely unimportant either. But both of those combined with the great writing (if you can ignore Mangagamer's horrid qc) create a very powerful and tense atmosphere at just the right time. The first time the "change" happened (you'll know what I'm referring to), I actually jumped.
So is it worth $15? :)
It's definitely worth paying 15$ for, but I wouldn't give them to Mangagamer. :P
There's a plethora of simple typos and quite a few grammatical errors too. Although I have no clue how much if any of their profit goes to the developers.
Of course this is all coming from someone who shamelessly torrents everything, so take it with a grain of salt. ;)
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Does anyone know the license for Narcissu? Like, can I use pictures from the game on T-shirts? :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

OtakuNinja wrote:Does anyone know the license for Narcissu? Like, can I use pictures from the game on T-shirts? :)
If I were you, I would make a towel with "Shiraishi Construction" and hopefully it will be stolen. :D
I can't find anything that mention about Narcissu's copyright. But I guess you shouldn't print Setsumi and/or game logo explicitly on your shirt. But maybe printing Narcissus flower is okay.

I am finished Narcissu and feeling... okay? I actually feel nothing about it, and now playing English Higurashi no naku koro ni along with replaying KS.

...and IMO Higurashi are subpar in visual. But it certainly not what make it bad. (and I start to wonder why some criticize KS visual at all)
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

OtakuNinja wrote:Does anyone know the license for Narcissu? Like, can I use pictures from the game on T-shirts? :)
The way I see it, there shouldn't be any problem if you're just printing them for personal use.
Auratus wrote:...and IMO Higurashi are subpar in visual. But it certainly not what make it bad. (and I start to wonder why some criticize KS visual at all)
The visuals in Higurashi definitely aren't very high-quality, but they're still very expressive, and that's the most important thing for the story. Plus there's a patch that replaces the visuals with the ones from PS2, which look better. I've gotten used to the visuals by now, thought. :P
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Auratus wrote:
I can't find anything that mention about Narcissu's copyright. But I guess you shouldn't print Setsumi and/or game logo explicitly on your shirt.
Thanks. Have you finished -2nd side- too? :)
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

OtakuNinja wrote: Thanks. Have you finished -2nd side- too? :)
No, and I think I wouldn't play it soon. Higurashi would take some time to play, and as in first few page of this thread Higurashi aren't universally liked. I would try anything that's it is but Fate/Stay Night first as I don't want to get into anything with detailed story right now.

Edit : OMFG. Who know cute girl is THAT scary.
Edit2 : You too? I'm out! Hopefully I can sleep tonight.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Auratus wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote: Thanks. Have you finished -2nd side- too? :)
No, and I think I wouldn't play it soon.
It takes about 4 hours and is, in my opinion, best to play immediately after finishing -1st side- :)
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Auratus wrote:-spoilers-
I know exactly how you feel :P Enjoy being freaked out every time the music suddenly stops :D
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Flutterz wrote:
I know exactly how you feel :P Enjoy being freaked out every time the music suddenly stops :D
You means. EVERY time? Crap.

Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Auratus wrote:
Flutterz wrote:
You means. EVERY time? Crap.
IT won't happen every time, but you'll be expecting it every time. At least that's how it was for me >.>
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Just finished Onikakushi arc.

Achievement Unlocked : "Aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha."

I'd freak out if first arc Review is started with "changed" Rena and "First of all, Did you illegally acquired this copy of VN?" Would be nice anti-piracy measure. :lol:

Edit: Where the heck is Inidia?
Last edited by Auratus on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Auratus wrote:Just finished Onikakushi arc.

Achievement Unlocked : "Aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha."

I'd freak out if first arc Review is started with "changed" Rena and "First of all, Did you illegally acquired this copy of VN?" Would be nice anti-piracy measure. :lol:
Ha, that would probably even work, too :P

By the way, if you want to do something interesting, try writing on a piece of paper your ideas as to what (and why) things are happening while you are playing the game, and then when you are done, compare what your guesses were to what was actually going on :D
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

Apparently Grisaia no Kajitsu is getting an anime. How 'bout that.

VN is 86% translated, too. Can't wait.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

And now I am done with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai. It was quite the story! Kai mostly delivers the answers to the questions set up in the first VN, but it doesn't spoon-feed them to you, in fact some of the less important yet still interesting answers can be completely missed if you're not paying attention. Part of the reason why these 2 VNs manage to create such a tense atmosphere full of mystery is that pretty much the whole thing is told from first person, from a handful of characters' points of view, depending on the arc. As a result, you only get the information that that character is getting, and you only get that character's interpretation of it, no matter how biased and wrong it might be. It does somewhat lose its suspense once more and more answers are revealed, but instead you get to watch all of the pieces of the puzzle come together, which is just as interesting.
Interestingly, the developer says he was inspired by Key's works, and it certainly follows the "normal school days are suddenly interrupted by a disaster" storyline, which makes all of the madness that you see contrast even more with the main cast's ordinary lives, even though you might have seen something just as horrible in the previous arc. Overall I definitely recommend this VN.
Now time to watch the anime and move on to the next VN, which will probably be Kana Imouto.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I just bought School Days collector's edition, so I hope it's wirth the money. My only regret is that it'll be shipped directly to my house = parents might wonder what it is. :oops: