29 year old hearing for the first time

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

gRaViJa

29 year old hearing for the first time

Post by gRaViJa »

This video made me all warm & fuzzy inside!
(the title isn't a 100% true because she could hear untill teh age of 4 or something, but still: d'awwwww)
Emi's Couch to 5k
Completed!
6k personal record: 29m07
5k personal record: 27m48
1 mile personal record: 6m59

100 push-up challenge
Week 7: 25/25/25/25
pandaphil

Re: 29 year old hearing for the first time

Post by pandaphil »

Wow, and she didn't immediately lock herself away, or stuff her ears full of wax or something like people speculated in the Deux Ex thread? Remarkable. ;)

Thanks for the link.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
win746

Post by win746 »

Wow, this must be the best thing I've seen for a long time. I'm really surprised that she learned how to speak and interpret speech while deaf, I didn't realize that could be done (its me living under a rock).

Thanks for the link :D .
Katie wrote:I hate men
This board is being invaded by feminists, spread the word!
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

win746 wrote:Wow, this must be the best thing I've seen for a long time. I'm really surprised that she learned how to speak and interpret speech while deaf, I didn't realize that could be done (its me living under a rock).

I must be living under the rock you're living on top of, because I still have no idea how it can be done >.>
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

I have to agree with what the others have posted. I think that video just made my day. :D

Her speech is astounding for not being able to hear herself for so long. Also I love her sleeve tattoo. :lol:
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Flutterz wrote:
win746 wrote:Wow, this must be the best thing I've seen for a long time. I'm really surprised that she learned how to speak and interpret speech while deaf, I didn't realize that could be done (its me living under a rock).

I must be living under the rock you're living on top of, because I still have no idea how it can be done >.>
Well, OP says she became deaf at four years old. She'd have been able to learn a bit by then. But the actual video says OP is full of shit and she was born deaf so...Who knows? XD
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
RichieBerry

Post by RichieBerry »

Flutterz wrote:

Hard work and determination.

No seriously, humans can figure out pretty much anything if they spend enough time on it. From what I've read, deaf people use their other senses to figure it out. Apparently, putting your hand on someone else's throat and feeling the vibrations of their vocal chords is really handy (and they're told what the person was saying via paper or sign language or some such manner). Also lip reading works really well. Then I suppose you'd just try vocalising, and get feedback (paper or sign language) on how you did. Also, watch or read The Miracle Worker. It's a well done play, and Hellen Keller really did learn how to talk despite being deaf and blind. Hard work and determination.
"Why do you make that noise? Are you mad? Well, obviously. Good. Your sweater is terrible, and I want you to feel bad about it. The burn tells me it is working."
"I like my sweater."
"I'm sure you like huffing glue, too. That doesn't make it right."
Florentine

Post by Florentine »

Anyone for the THE MOST POWERFUL MAN ON EARTH?

Click the link below

http://tammykling.com/the-most-powerful ... the-world/

And his Wiki page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Vujicic

His Video:

Wait, dont you guys think that this guy deserves a thread of his own or its ok to post here?
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

Funny. I thought I saw that picture in 9Gag. (some of 9Gager posted that he is perhaps one of Christian's propaganda)
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Florentine wrote: Anyone for the THE MOST POWERFUL MAN ON EARTH?
Wiki: "He also speaks about his belief that God can use any willing heart to do his work and that God is big enough to overcome any and all disabilities."..."Nick prayed very hard that God would give him arms and legs." (That's smart right there. Pray for limbs to the being that made you lack limbs in the first place, already foresaw the prayer, and already said no before it even came...Hypothetically, of course.)

With all due respect to the guy and his successful adaptation to life in his condition, I immediately dislike and harshly judge him. Why do I get the feeling he wouldn't be half as inspirational if he didn't have the god crutch? Just another fool who accomplished something great then ruined it by giving all credit to a fucking delusion.
Last edited by Xanatos on Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

pandaphil wrote:Wow, and she didn't immediately lock herself away, or stuff her ears full of wax or something like people speculated in the Deux Ex thread? Remarkable. ;)

Thanks for the link.
Keep in mind that not everyone is the same. Haven't watched the movie though (in train, 3g...) so I don't know what the reaction was, but for me it certainly wasn't comfortable... You could perhaps compare it to hitting your elbow where the nerve endings have very little protection, which would give you a strongly tingling feeling there... It's kinda like that, only continuous... And that is what you 'hear'. So you can imagine it being tiring and annoying.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Kutagh wrote:You could perhaps compare it to hitting your elbow where the nerve endings have very little protection, which would give you a strongly tingling feeling there...
"tingling"...Not the word I'd use. It's fucking painful. :lol: And yeah, it'd be a pain to start but it could be worth it.
Florentine

Post by Florentine »

Just what kind of sane person will actually drag a worn out religious argument in a Katawa Forum?
For someone with 4000 posts, you act so immature :?
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Kutagh wrote:
pandaphil wrote:Wow, and she didn't immediately lock herself away, or stuff her ears full of wax or something like people speculated in the Deux Ex thread? Remarkable. ;)

Thanks for the link.
Keep in mind that not everyone is the same. Haven't watched the movie though (in train, 3g...) so I don't know what the reaction was, but for me it certainly wasn't comfortable... You could perhaps compare it to hitting your elbow where the nerve endings have very little protection, which would give you a strongly tingling feeling there... It's kinda like that, only continuous... And that is what you 'hear'. So you can imagine it being tiring and annoying.
Granted. I just think that any reasonable doctor involved with helping someone regain their senses is going to ease them in gradually. Lights dim, quiet room, etc.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
win746

Post by win746 »

Then let's throw out the religious argument from the thread, shall we?

Back on topic, still amazed how she can talk properly without hearing herself, that's some achievement. Must have got some great help achieving this.
Katie wrote:I hate men
This board is being invaded by feminists, spread the word!