If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Choose the most severe physical disability that applies to you. Blank vote if none apply.

Hearing impairment (Moderate to severe in one or both ears)
8%
Deafness (Profound in one ear)
2%
Deafness (Profound in both ears)
3%
Muteness
4%
Low vision (Correctable to 20/70-20/200)
46%
Legal blindness (Not correctable to 20/200)
4%
Blindness (Total in one eye)
4%
Disabled/amputated arm or hand
2%
Disabled/amputated leg or foot
5%
Other (specify) (NOT including mental or milder physical disabilities)
23%

Total votes: 960

MutilatedManequin

Re: If you *actually have* a physical disability, what is it

Post by MutilatedManequin »

I really don't have anything, just some nearsightedness, but one of my classmates (who could have a great rap name) is blind in his left eye. He's cool about it though
There is a method to my madness, a random number of random steps done in no particular order to accomplish god knows what
Karnewarrior

Post by Karnewarrior »

MutilatedManequin wrote:I really don't have anything, just some nearsightedness, but one of my classmates (who could have a great rap name) is blind in his left eye. He's cool about it though
Left Eye Blind would be a good name for a rock band.
Not Mine:
A Perfectly Normal High School - Transit eros, philia est sempiternum
Puella Magi Adfligo Systema - "incubators math discard math pets fuzzys Asunaro caw caw"
Mine:
Ikusaba Quest [DR/???] - "In one moment, Earth; in the next, Hell." ~ Queen Sonia Nevermind, on the First Tragedy
Auratus

Post by Auratus »

@MutilatedManequin If I had friend like that. I would buy/make a pirate-ish eyepatch.

@Xanatos. I thinks you starting to derail the topic.
I want to make Thai Translation of KS alone and protesting with this signature.

Unofficially Demanding. Temporary even-more malfunctioned in English Grammar.

Introducing one of the few thread of it's kind that bring the world together. Wait, Whatever then.
Wynd

Post by Wynd »

Not sure if this counts as a disability, but I didn't vote just to be sure. A few years back I contracted some sort of major stomach bug or virus, and I was unwell with severe stomach pain for months. When I finally got better, it turned out I had developed chronic fatigue syndrome, also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis/myalgic encephalopathy (ME) or post-viral fatigue syndrome. Although CFS is in no way life-threatening and it is possible to recover from it, it is a very debilitating condition. My experience of recovering from CFS helped me to sympathise with Hisao's path to rehabilitation after being hit with arrythmia, and made KS a much more immersive experience in general for me.

Again, I'm not really sure if CFS can be classed as a disability, scientifically or otherwise, but I thought it would be worth mentioning here.
Real men cry buckets.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Wynd wrote:Not sure if this counts as a disability, but I didn't vote just to be sure. A few years back I contracted some sort of major stomach bug or virus, and I was unwell with severe stomach pain for months. When I finally got better, it turned out I had developed chronic fatigue syndrome, also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis/myalgic encephalopathy (ME) or post-viral fatigue syndrome. Although CFS is in no way life-threatening and it is possible to recover from it, it is a very debilitating condition. My experience of recovering from CFS helped me to sympathise with Hisao's path to rehabilitation after being hit with arrythmia, and made KS a much more immersive experience in general for me.

Again, I'm not really sure if CFS can be classed as a disability, scientifically or otherwise, but I thought it would be worth mentioning here.

Well, you've got people in Hisao's class suffering from diabetes and carpal tunnel. So I'd say your ongoing ailment qualifies.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Wynd

Post by Wynd »

pandaphil wrote: Well, you've got people in Hisao's class suffering from diabetes and carpal tunnel. So I'd say your ongoing ailment qualifies.
Well, that's the other thing. It's not ongoing, it's gone now. It's a pretty nasty thing to have, but I managed to recover. Some people don't though, so I'm not sure if it is a "significantly debilitating medical disorder" (as Wikipedia puts it) or a legitimate disability.
Real men cry buckets.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

I have a legally blind left eye, which has highly influenced my decision not to drive. Also, I have asthma, though that's less of an effect other than worsening my ability to run around too much.
MutilatedManequin

Post by MutilatedManequin »

Auratus wrote:@MutilatedManequin If I had friend like that. I would buy/make a pirate-ish
Well, his eye isn't missing, it's just clouded, kind like Lilly's
There is a method to my madness, a random number of random steps done in no particular order to accomplish god knows what
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

MutilatedManequin wrote:
Auratus wrote:@MutilatedManequin If I had friend like that. I would buy/make a pirate-ish
Well, his eye isn't missing, it's just clouded, kind like Lilly's

Still sounds like a perfect excuse to wear a badass eyepatch. :)
Attachments
eyepatch.jpg
eyepatch.jpg (140.89 KiB) Viewed 5550 times
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Faelivri

Post by Faelivri »

Partially disabled right foot (can't lift up fully, still sometimes stumble during walking, and lack of full sensation), DON'T TOUCH below my knee on the right side or I will cry in pain;
About two above, peroneal nerve cut in three places. Don't ask how I do it. At least I can partially lift up my foot after four operations;
asthma, very low condition, low vision,
I think that's all about physical.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Bumping after Silentcook mentioned it in another thread... not sure if I should vote, because it's only one eye (and the other is better than 20/20)... amblyopia, and it's about 20/120 uncorrected (and with strabismus), 20/100 corrected (and without the strabismus).
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Does photophobia count as a physical disability?
The reason I have photophobia is because I have PDD-NOS so I am not entirely sure.
The photophobia is bad enough for me to have to wear sunglasses when it's sunny outside. You can make the condition better simply by being in a generally lit up area and slowly adjusting your eyes to take in more light over a very long period of time. In my case it will take a few years and than I will have to hope that it will not pop back into action (like it has done recently). Well there is more but i don't really need to go into detail.
The pain is similar to the pain you would probably feel when you look directly at the sun (on a sunny day) for a few seconds but perhaps a bit intensified. I hate sunglasses so I normally just opt to staying indoors when it's sunny. I don't like outdoor sports or being outside much in general though so I don't mind much (it isn't hard to guess why). It isn't a nice condition though. I really hate wearing sunglasses.

Because it is a relatively rare condition most just say that I am making up a random condition just so that I can wear sunglasses. They carry on being annoying like this until they actually google the goddamn condition. It's really annoying how much of a jerk people can be towards people with these conditions. It isn't the nicest thing when people are being so negative about your condition but I suppose other people here have had it a lot worse.
At least my family care.
Numb

Post by Numb »

Congenital analgesia, or the simple name, congenital insensitivity to pain. Long description is that something went wrong with my brain when I was developing and the part that deals with pain and other senses doesn't function properly. This means I can't feel pain, and some of my other senses gradually degrade or just stop working completely. I've lost my sense of smell already, and that in turn has reduced my taste slightly. Oddly enough, my hearing has improved through all of this.

Short description, I can't feel pain and other things might not work soon.
Currently working on: Notes for a new project (Coming Soon™)
I did KS and other songs on note blocks in Minecraft: Playlist here
Old works| Rooftops - An Emi Story| Christmas with the Hakamichis | Not Like Him - Rin Perspective|Blossom - A Miki pseudo-route
neio

Post by neio »

Numb wrote: I've lost my sense of smell already, and that in turn has reduced my taste slightly. Oddly enough, my hearing has improved through all of this.
I've heard losing smell can be quite traumatic. Was yours a gradual loss, and does it bother you much?
Recommended fics: A pseudo-pseudo Suzu Route | Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) | Can You Open Your Heart? (Rika)

(New) Movie contest: From which 2012 film did I mangle this quote? Prize: Humble Bundle
You're worried about the Nurse? Try the mom.
Pandas

Post by Pandas »

Numb wrote:Congenital analgesia, or the simple name, congenital insensitivity to pain. Long description is that something went wrong with my brain when I was developing and the part that deals with pain and other senses doesn't function properly. This means I can't feel pain, and some of my other senses gradually degrade or just stop working completely. I've lost my sense of smell already, and that in turn has reduced my taste slightly. Oddly enough, my hearing has improved through all of this.

Short description, I can't feel pain and other things might not work soon.
Hence that name numb? Woah, thats instense O.o