Personal Appreciation for Emi

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Painiac

Re: Personal Appreciation for Emi

Post by Painiac »

Actually, developing layers of callus are pretty easy. Playing on guitar is very extreme for fingertips, so calluses there aren't suprise. Doing any normal work involing tools like hammer/fork/axe/hoe will also develop it for sure. You have to grab these tools with strenght to do something at all; and strenght=pressure. Even smashing air with stick can be enough. From my experience, I can tell that even cutting good layer of callus with average knife isn't easy. Unless prostetic leg isn't padded with good leather-like material, calluses are very likely.
No time for love, Falcon Punch!
Polish translation:
Wednesday - 50%
Synoptic

Post by Synoptic »

Edited by mod for offtopic.
"...!"
flurk

Post by flurk »

Shaddox and Synoptic sound like close friends :D

well i'm just going to assume that the story's true.

i had a bad leg injury when i was in my last year of high school. i walked around with crutches for two to three months. i know what you mean when you said you preferred not to use them. at that period i preferred to stay home not just because it's quite a hassle, but mainly because people will stare. i enjoyed it at first but got sick of the attention after a few days.
delta
Feels Badman

Post by delta »

Will you guys please stop dragging your e-drama into here?
toast

Post by toast »

delta wrote:Will you guys please stop dragging your e-drama into here?
But Delta, what is a forum without drama?
<!Aura-> I did a line of powdered fig dust mixed with high grade blow from the ass of a supermodel wearing a Misha kigurumi at the party yesterday

<buckingham> it is not my fault you all have awful fucking taste

[17:42:51] <!Delta_Kurshiva> no fun allowed
Shaddox

Post by Shaddox »

Edited by mod for offtopic.
Synoptic

Post by Synoptic »

Bara wrote:Yeah, I can understand that choosing not to use a crutch in public. At some level inside, you probably might feel like its like carrying a big sign saying, "Look, something is wrong with me.". I guess we all make choices of comfort vs. looks every day. People will put up with a lot for their self-image
Bara, if you cannot get over a thing like "self-image problems caused by nature/medical matters, in public" you won't do shit in life... you'll just end up like a "Drama Queen".

Take my example... very skinny (46 Kilos) and 163 cms height. (gurls would love my silhouette :lol: )
Now imagine you see a skinny midget like me one day, walking up the stairs of the college you're studying at... you'll be like "Oo" right?
Plus, other minor visible "defects".

I do not care that much about my "exterior image", in fact, I often take jabs at my height and get some lulz with my friends. :]

Why not using a crutch in public?
I actually find that a lot better... it doesn't use a lot of space around you (like a wheelchair) so you have a lot of movement freedom.

EDIT:
GOT PERMISSION FROM SURIKO TO MODIFY IT BACK SINCE IT WASN'T OFFTOPIC AFTERALL.
Last edited by Synoptic on Sun May 31, 2009 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"...!"
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

You were told to shut up about this and you didn't.

Your posts have been edited. The next step will be worse if you keep this up. Take it to PMs if you must.
Bara

Post by Bara »

Painiac wrote:Actually, developing layers of callus are pretty easy. Playing on guitar is very extreme for fingertips, so calluses there aren't suprise. Doing any normal work involing tools like hammer/fork/axe/hoe will also develop it for sure. You have to grab these tools with strenght to do something at all; and strenght=pressure. Even smashing air with stick can be enough. From my experience, I can tell that even cutting good layer of callus with average knife isn't easy. Unless prostetic leg isn't padded with good leather-like material, calluses are very likely.
I'm sure callouses have to form to some extent or another. I just don't know how much or how fast they would form, or even if they would be desirable to have while wearing a prosthetic. My understanding is prosthetics are individualy fitted and shaped to attach to the remaining limb. Wouldn't too thick of a callous forming possibly cause irritation and pain in other spots? I can't say myself, and I suppose the best answer would be from someone experienced in fitting prosthetics on a wide variety of people.

2xGPU clients (GTX 465/GTS 250); 2xCPU clients

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Painiac

Post by Painiac »

How fast? If you haven't contact with physical work before, two-three hours of hard work should suffice (without gloves, of course). You will have blisters first though (fast way of obtaining callus is fast way...), and when these blisters heals naturally (In day? Two days? Unless you don't broke it, it may get infected.), there will be callus. Calluses don't bring pain - these are layers of dead cells, so touching it feels somewhat numb. Think about natural glove. Yea, to develop ,,natural" gloves, you have to work hard all life, and you will have probably problems with cartilages in wrists (like my dad...). Better use normal gloves.
While wearing prosthetics... As i stated before, it's ,,numb", so it shouldn't bring pain. Problem may be only in attaching prosthetics; you don't feel touching as you should, so you can attache it in unproper way. I can only theoretize though.
No time for love, Falcon Punch!
Polish translation:
Wednesday - 50%
Bara

Post by Bara »

Synoptic wrote:
Bara wrote:Yeah, I can understand that choosing not to use a crutch in public. At some level inside, you probably might feel like its like carrying a big sign saying, "Look, something is wrong with me.". I guess we all make choices of comfort vs. looks every day. People will put up with a lot for their self-image
Bara, if you cannot get over a thing like "self-image problems caused by nature/medical matters, in public" you won't do shit in life... you'll just end up like a "Drama Queen".
As far as having "self-image problems caused by nature/medical matters, in public" I must burst your bubble; I have all my limbs. The only "prosthetic" I use are my eyeglasses.
Again, I hate to have to clue you in, but I've already "done shit" in my life and I did it while you were probably still "done shit"ing in your diapers.
I must thank you for your astute and keen psychoanalysis so that I don't "just end up like a Drama Queen", Dr. Simund Freud.
I'm only interested in this thread to exchange ideas and experiences with people about how prosthetics affect their lives and outlooks and how the reality works with the story of KS.
Synoptic wrote:Take my example... very skinny (46 Kilos) and 163 cms height. (gurls would love my silhouette :lol: )
Not unless you have boobs to go with it. Many girls I've known over the years believe that guys love breasts; the bigger the better. (Most of the guys I've known agree with most of the girls.)
Synoptic wrote:Now imagine you see a skinny midget like me one day, walking up the stairs of the college you're studying at... you'll be like "Oo" right?
Plus, other minor visible "defects".
I gave up paying to stare at the carnival sideshow freaks decades ago. Pretty much all I see now is people; just some are more visibly effed up than others. Please don't attribute thoughts and reactions to me which you can't possibly have any idea if I have or not.
Synoptic wrote:I do not care that much about my "exterior image", in fact, I often take jabs at my height and get some lulz with my friends. :]
And that is you. Were you elected to speak for all people with "visible defects'? I shouldn't have to point out that your experience and opinions apply only to you.
Synoptic wrote:Why not using a crutch in public?
I actually find that a lot better... it doesn't use a lot of space around you (like a wheelchair) so you have a lot of movement freedom.
Finaly, one coherent statement of your personal opinion. Which is pretty much a repetition of an earlier post if IRC; either yours or someone elses.
Synoptic wrote:EDIT:
GOT PERMISSION FROM SURIKO TO MODIFY IT BACK SINCE IT WASN'T OFFTOPIC AFTERALL.
Well if it makes you happy. My opinion is you would have been smarter/looked smarter to have let it remain dead. But, that is my personal opinion. I don't claim anyone else thinks as I do.

<Aura> Our army of teenage girl artists couldn't draw penises without fits of giggling. Does that count?
Bara

Post by Bara »

Painiac wrote:How fast? If you haven't contact with physical work before, two-three hours of hard work should suffice (without gloves, of course). You will have blisters first though (fast way of obtaining callus is fast way...), and when these blisters heals naturally (In day? Two days? Unless you don't broke it, it may get infected.), there will be callus. Calluses don't bring pain - these are layers of dead cells, so touching it feels somewhat numb. Think about natural glove. Yea, to develop ,,natural" gloves, you have to work hard all life, and you will have probably problems with cartilages in wrists (like my dad...). Better use normal gloves.
While wearing prosthetics... As i stated before, it's ,,numb", so it shouldn't bring pain. Problem may be only in attaching prosthetics; you don't feel touching as you should, so you can attache it in unproper way. I can only theoretize though.
Ehh, more than enough physical labor over the years; more than enough. I know that I want to avoid it where I can now. :mrgreen:
It is the (without gloves) part of it that causes me to question if callouses would form differently on a stump from wearing a prosthetic. One of the (few) things I do know is that when doctors are making the decision on where to amputate a limb (above or below a joint) they also consider the fitting of a prosthetic if possible. On prostetics where there is a suitable stump; it fits into a custom fitted socket/cup or whatever it is called it. So it is more like a hand in a work glove than a bare hand. I wonder if the enclosed/limited air cirulation environment would make a significant difference.

Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Painiac wrote:How fast? If you haven't contact with physical work before, two-three hours of hard work should suffice (without gloves, of course). You will have blisters first though (fast way of obtaining callus is fast way...), and when these blisters heals naturally (In day? Two days? Unless you don't broke it, it may get infected.), there will be callus. Calluses don't bring pain - these are layers of dead cells, so touching it feels somewhat numb. Think about natural glove. Yea, to develop ,,natural" gloves, you have to work hard all life, and you will have probably problems with cartilages in wrists (like my dad...). Better use normal gloves.
As a rower who regularly rips up his hands, I can pretty much attest to the above. Though I'm also well aware that prolonged friction can also rip the callus straight off, as well, so it all depends. Proper care of the callusing surface is necessary, name large amounts of Neosporin and gauze (or hydrogen peroxide if you're up for it).
静音是买外夫