What else made you cry?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: What else made you cry?

Post by Xanatos »

SpecimenSix wrote:
Xanatos wrote: Up? Pft. That movie's hardly dark (but really damn good). xD Dumbo's just fucking cruel. Constant harassment, turns to drunkenness to cope...Awful. Not to mention the Jim Crows...
Yea I personally didn't think UP was too dark either and I love it too, but I remember reading somebody's theory on the movie that the entire trip and befriending the old man was all in the kid's imagination. Dark probably wasn't the right word choice, and though I don't think that's what the movie was about at all, thinking about that beautiful movie like that kinda bummed me out.
Oh, anything can be dark if you speculate enough. Ed, Edd, N Eddy is about a group of dead kids trapped in limbo/purgatory.

Oh, and just about any of the early Don Bluth films have awful depressing moments.

@Steinherz: Nice! Abridged series are awesome. :lol: I saw The Avengers in 3D and noticed not a single difference.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

@Xanatos: Especially the ones made by TeamFourStar :lol:

But yeah, 3D is just a fad that WON'T DIE! It popped up a lot in the 80s as well (Friday the 13th: Part 3 In 3D is the only 3D movie I own actually).

But you know what made me cry not from feels, but from rage (recently at least)? Mass Effect 3's ending(s). However I seem to cry from anger more than sadness. *shrugs*
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Steinherz wrote:@Xanatos: Especially the ones made by TeamFourStar :lol:

But yeah, 3D is just a fad that WON'T DIE! It popped up a lot in the 80s as well (Friday the 13th: Part 3 In 3D is the only 3D movie I own actually).

But you know what made me cry not from feels, but from rage (recently at least)? Mass Effect 3's ending(s). However I seem to cry from anger more than sadness. *shrugs*
Uggh. The badness of ME3's ending is painfully exaggerated.

You know what fad needs a comeback? Smell-o-vision. :lol: And a fad that needs to die: "[Genre] Movie." - Date Movie, Disaster Movie, Epic Movie...Crap like Meet The Spartans and shit too. Pop culture references are not comedy, and IT'S NOT A SATIRE WITHOUT SATIRE!
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Xanatos wrote:Uggh. The badness of ME3's ending is painfully exaggerated.

You know what fad needs a comeback? Smell-o-vision. :lol: And a fad that needs to die: "[Genre] Movie." - Date Movie, Disaster Movie, Epic Movie...Crap like Meet The Spartans and shit too. Pop culture references are not comedy, and IT'S NOT A SATIRE WITHOUT SATIRE!
It's painfully exaggerated because of this: You buy the three Mass Effect games (180 dollars right there). You buy the DLCS that add more content for them (around 240 more dollars). You spend a couple days playing the content of the games. You get to Mass Effect 3's ending and realize: I spent all this money, time and effort and I get shit endings.
People were expecting not a "happy" ending but a "good" ending. I'm not everyone, but I play paragon in Mass effect. Paragon Shepard would not:commit Mass Genocide (Destroy- Kills the Reapers, Geth, EDI and anyone with major cybernetics), do mass mind control (Control - Shepard is at first against messing with the Geth's heads in Legion's loyalty mission in ME2), or play god (Synthesis).

But I do agree with you on smell-o-vision Xan. And the "[Genre] Movie"s are really overdone.
I also draw, kind of.
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Steinherz wrote:
Xanatos wrote:Uggh. The badness of ME3's ending is painfully exaggerated.

It's painfully exaggerated because of this: You buy the three Mass Effect games (180 dollars right there). You buy the DLCS that add more content for them (around 240 more dollars). You spend a couple days playing the content of the games. You get to Mass Effect 3's ending and realize: I spent all this money, time and effort and I get shit endings.
People were expecting not a "happy" ending but a "good" ending. I'm not everyone, but I play paragon in Mass effect. Paragon Shepard would not:commit Mass Genocide (Destroy- Kills the Reapers, Geth, EDI and anyone with major cybernetics), do mass mind control (Control - Shepard is at first against messing with the Geth's heads in Legion's loyalty mission in ME2), or play god (Synthesis).

But I do agree with you on smell-o-vision Xan. And the "[Genre] Movie"s are really overdone.
It's painfully exaggerated because people (gamers and other nerd types especially) are often whiny assholes who cry over the slightest dissatisfaction. Boo hoo, one game had a lousy ending. You bought three games and enjoyed playing through three games. Cry me a river. :P

Nobody paid for endings. They paid for games. And most of them played and enjoyed all of those games. Probably recommended them to friends. Those who paid for DLC probably enjoyed the DLC. Then one game has an ending that isn't even terrible, just not as fantastic as their overhyped imaginations wanted, and suddenly it's a damn travesty and all their time spent on three games and DLC that they enjoyed playing through is somehow magically wasted.

And the genre movie issue isn't that they're overdone. It's that they always sucked. :lol:
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Xanatos wrote:It's painfully exaggerated because people (gamers and other nerd types especially) are often whiny assholes who cry over the slightest dissatisfaction. Boo hoo, one game had a lousy ending. You bought three games and enjoyed playing through three games. Cry me a river. :P

Nobody paid for endings. They paid for games. And most of them played and enjoyed all of those games. Probably recommended them to friends. Those who paid for DLC probably enjoyed the DLC. Then one game has an ending that isn't even terrible, just not as fantastic as their overhyped imaginations wanted, and suddenly it's a damn travesty and all their time spent on three games and DLC that they enjoyed playing through is somehow magically wasted.

And the genre movie issue isn't that they're overdone. It's that they always sucked. :lol:
Xanatos, you're familiar with tropes. Mass Effect 3's ending can only be described as a Gainax Ending. *edit* HOLY SHIT. I meant that as a joke, but Mass Effect 3 is actually listed in the video games section XD
But yeah, people often do bitch moan and complain when something doesn't live up to their expectations. *shrugs*
I also draw, kind of.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Steinherz wrote:
Xanatos wrote:It's painfully exaggerated because people (gamers and other nerd types especially) are often whiny assholes who cry over the slightest dissatisfaction. Boo hoo, one game had a lousy ending. You bought three games and enjoyed playing through three games. Cry me a river. :P

Xanatos, you're familiar with tropes. Mass Effect 3's ending can only be described as a Gainax Ending. *edit* HOLY SHIT. I meant that as a joke, but Mass Effect 3 is actually listed in the video games section XD
But yeah, people often do bitch moan and complain when something doesn't live up to their expectations. *shrugs*
Yeah, it's listed. :lol: I'm a TVTropes addict. Nothing wrong with Gainax Endings though. :P

And I avoid failed expectations by pirating any game possible. Can't be too pissed off if it was free. I buy if it's worth the price tag though. :lol: (Note: "It's worth continued playing." does not always mean "It's worth the price they're asking for it." - I still have The Sims 3 installed but it will never be worth its price simply because it's less a game and more a 'fuck around every once in a while' tool)

Incidentally, TVTropes has brought tears a few times. :lol: Usually from browsing the tropes related to sad shit. xD
Last edited by Xanatos on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

Xanatos wrote: It's painfully exaggerated because people (gamers and other nerd types especially) are often whiny assholes who cry over the slightest dissatisfaction. Boo hoo, one game had a lousy ending. You bought three games and enjoyed playing through three games. Cry me a river. :P

Lol I agree, at least Mass Effect has an ending. That's not to say it wasn't absolutely awful but when you compare it to a game like Rage where there literally isn't an ending, it feels like cutting off a sentence right in the middle. And I couldn't agree more about genre movies, it feels like using pop culture references is the easy out for comedy. Originality is just really uncommon it feels like.
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

SpecimenSix wrote:it feels like using pop culture references is the easy out for comedy.
Exactly. It's why Family Guy sucks. "Hey, look, this thing happened in the 80s!" - News flash, Seth. It's 2013. Most people still watching your show today weren't born in the 80s. Get off the 80s collective dick, please.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

CreedKeeper25

Post by CreedKeeper25 »

Only 3 things bothered me about the ending, all of which the Extended Cut answered

1: They explained why Joker was already fleeing before Shepard made his choice
2: It showed how Your teammates made it onto the Normandy even if they were with you during the charge on the Citadel beam
3: They gave at least some acknowledgement to your choices, even if it was just through still frames

Otherwise, I didn't think it was bad enough to warrant a new ending, like some fans wanted. Also, like Xanatos said, what matters for me was the game, not just the ending. ME3 had some amazing moments (Kalros, the Geth collective, Thane vs. Kai Leng, the Grunt scene I mentioned earlier) so overall, I thought it was a good game.

@Xanatos I... Where do you find these things?
SpecimenSix wrote:And not crying when you read KS doesn't mean you're a man. It means you have no soul. :lol:
Hanabro
SpecimenSix

Post by SpecimenSix »

Xanatos wrote:
SpecimenSix wrote:it feels like using pop culture references is the easy out for comedy.
Exactly. It's why Family Guy sucks. "Hey, look, this thing happened in the 80s!" - News flash, Seth. It's 2013. Most people still watching your show today weren't born in the 80s. Get off the 80s collective dick, please.
Exactly. In all honesty I know it's cliched and far overdone but I actually used to love the original family guy, back when Seth McFarlane(sp?) used to be original, creative, and downright witty. Now it seems to be like "O hey we have 2 minutes left we need to fill in an episode. Lets just make a joke that's far longer than it needs to be about celebrities that were in the news yesterday that nobody will give two shits about in a year." To be fair though American Dad is still at least somewhat creative and funny and has yet to go down that same path, I hope it remains that way.
I am bad, and that's good. I will never be good, and that's not bad. There is no one I would rather be than me.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Seems like Misha and Shizune ended up at a particular wing of Icecrown Citadel. Arthas approves.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Umber

Post by Umber »

I'm crying because I know you're never going to run out of links like these...
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.