FDA approves new "blindness curing" glasses

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SemisoftCheese

FDA approves new "blindness curing" glasses

Post by SemisoftCheese »

Not sure if there can really be a thread about this, but I thought people in the forum, especially fans of Lilly, would enjoy this news.

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/ ... 339824.htm

Currently, it wouldn't work on someone like Lilly (who was genetically blind from birth), but it's definitely a step forwards. Hopefully, in the next couple years this project will develop even further.

In the words of Mutou: "Science."
ReCodes

Re: FDA approves new "blindness curing" glasses

Post by ReCodes »

i'm happened to be working on a drawing of Lilly, seeing the light the first time
:))
~WAHAHAHA...~
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7531 <- my fan art gallery

I'm dead...for now...will be back sometimes later...
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

imagine how she would react to Hanako
Umber

Post by Umber »

Eraser35 wrote:imagine how she would react to Hanako
Imagine how she would react to Shizune...
Or worse, how Shizune would react to her.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

"Hanako, is that yo-... HOLY SHIT, WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOUR FACE? GOD DAMN YOU MESSED UP!"
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

ReCodes wrote:i'm happened to be working on a drawing of Lilly, seeing the light the first time
:))
There are probably satellites in orbit that would detect the level of Feels from seeing/reading a scene like that.

I'm sure it'd be fine. Though it does beg the question, has Hanako ever let Lilly touch her face?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I'll think that Lily is resigned to being blind for the rest of her life, and since she had never seen before, she doesn't really know what she had "missed". As for feeling Hanako's face, I go with Sisterhood's view that Hanako had chickened out of letting her do so in the past. But one thing's for sure: If Lily ever got to see again, Hanako can receive surgery to repair the scars on her face.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

SemisoftCheese wrote:Not sure if there can really be a thread about this, but I thought people in the forum, especially fans of Lilly, would enjoy this news.

Currently, it wouldn't work on someone like Lilly (who was genetically blind from birth), but it's definitely a step forwards. Hopefully, in the next couple years this project will develop even further.

Those glasses don't 'cure' blindness any more than cochlear implants 'cure' deafness.
Last edited by metalangel on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

YZQ wrote:I'll think that Lily is resigned to being blind for the rest of her life, and since she had never seen before, she doesn't really know what she had "missed". As for feeling Hanako's face, I go with Sisterhood's view that Hanako had chickened out of letting her do so in the past. But one thing's for sure: If Lily ever got to see again, Hanako can receive surgery to repair the scars on her face.

This sounds like a new topic in the making. "Which of the girls would accept a 'cure' for their disability if one somehow became available"?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
ReCodes

Post by ReCodes »

pandaphil wrote: There are probably satellites in orbit that would detect the level of Feels from seeing/reading a scene like that.
the problem is how? it's really hard to express
it's easy for me to draw Rin with arms or Shizune could sing and listen to music
but the eyes @_@ HOW???
~WAHAHAHA...~

KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

ReCodes wrote:
pandaphil wrote: There are probably satellites in orbit that would detect the level of Feels from seeing/reading a scene like that.
it's easy for me to draw Rin with arms or Shizune could sing and listen to music
but the eyes @_@ HOW???
Make the details in the eyes more defined. Lilly's eyes don't have much detail because they're supposed to imitate the cloudy look of a blind persons eye. That's all I can really think of.
ReCodes

Post by ReCodes »

KeiichiO wrote:
ReCodes wrote:
but the eyes @_@ HOW???
Make the details in the eyes more defined. Lilly's eyes don't have much detail because they're supposed to imitate the cloudy look of a blind persons eye. That's all I can really think of.
i was thinking of that but it's not enough @_@
oh god, this is gonna bugging me whole day
~WAHAHAHA...~

YZQ

Post by YZQ »

metalangel wrote:
SemisoftCheese wrote:Not sure if there can really be a thread about this, but I thought people in the forum, especially fans of Lilly, would enjoy this news.

Those glass don't 'cure' blindness any more than cochlear implants 'cure' deafness.
They are workarounds, workable workarounds.

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

YZQ wrote:
metalangel wrote:
Those glasses don't 'cure' blindness any more than cochlear implants 'cure' deafness.
They are workarounds, workable workarounds.
Yes. The article agrees.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

ReCodes wrote:
i was thinking of that but it's not enough @_@
oh god, this is gonna bugging me whole day
The thing is that 4LS didn't specify how Lily's blindness came about. With so many parts involved in sight, as long as one part malfunctions, you can't see at all. From the cornea to the optic nerve to others, it's an entire science in itself.