Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

For all feedback on our releases in all languages.
Zero_kun

Re: Great job!

Post by Zero_kun »

Seems like he's new Ahaha ^^
There's a very Wise Man once said "I don't know, go ask woman"
Sander

Re: Katawa Shoujo Act 1 Preview feedback thread

Post by Sander »

I wonder if this thread was made only for useful opnions only :roll: . Anyways, I've just finished Act 1 and I love it. I have no words and I will not figure out any words because it looks useless to me. So... that's all, I loved it, and I love you, lol.
Teclo

Post by Teclo »

In reference to the Rin conversation a few pages back, I have to say that I like her because she's the only character that isn't firmly planted in an age-old anime stereotype. I know that that's the point - that Lilly's original concept even describes her as "cliché" - and I know that 4LS are intentionally working within the archetypes of the genre, but as a result the only character I can see as "real" is Rin. I mean, Hanako is exactly the same as the shy hikikomori girl from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. They even look the same, being as they both have their hair across their face. I don't see her as an individual but rather as "that archetype" put into the game. Shizune follows the class rep thing down to the last detail, even wearing glasses - a cliché pointed out in, I think, Hyakko. And so on. I'm not trying to "diss" the other characters at all, they're all likeable and used very well in the game, but it's just that Rin is the only one that couldn't really be found in The Big Book of Anime Clichés (metaphorically speaking) so when I think of Rin, I think of her specifically rather than the huge family of identical characters she belongs to.

Rin > Akira > Shizune > Lilly = Emi > Hanako
randomdude

Post by randomdude »

..."wow"...that's all I could think from the opening until the end of Act 1. (I had to play it straight through by the way.) This is definitely better than a lot of visual novels people get payed to make. Then again, they probably don't have a love for this like you guys. ;) Seriously though, this doesn't feel like this was made by a group of people who met on some forum. The idea's original, the characters (while slightly cliche) are still great in my opinion, the art and music especially were well above my expectations. When I first caught wind that this was made by some random people I almost didn't even bother because I was worried about the art and music, but I'm really glad I did. Everything's drawn and written really well. It's amazing. There's no other word to describe it. You guys rule. Keep it up!
vaen

Post by vaen »

using archetypes in my opinion isn't a problem in and of itself, since characters often tend to form in a writers mind and only later get classified in this pigeon hole or the other (mostly more so by fans than by the author) to make it easier to compare one show with the next. I even believe Rin isn't as unique in the sense of what archetype she would belong to as she is made out to be. there are more aloof and slightly crazy characters around. hence the enormous amount of archetypes available. even if (in this case) Rin really wouldn't belong in one group, a new one would then have been created. I think her most distinctive quality within her archetype is that she is female and artistic, while it's usually associated with male and sciency.

the difference is entirely in precisely what way the character is shaped and how she is coloured in, as only the frame is set. regardless of how overdone an archetype is, if it's done well then that's great. especially if that type is your thing. I believe hanako is the most popular at this time not just because her archetype is so much more popular but because she's very well done. (pun not intended, though it is funny)

same can be said for Emi. she's least popular not because her archetype is unpopular, but she hasn't really had a chance to shine much imo. her type generally requires more time to grow on you. (I classified her as genki/concerned imouto for now. like nanami from chaos head - probably a far stretch from what the author was going for.)
Teclo

Post by Teclo »

I think Emi is least popular simply because she's firmly in the "fake loli" archetype, with no overlap or anything. Fake lolis were popular a while ago but now it seems more acceptable to openly like genuine lolis.

Rin is, very very vaguely, the "quirky one" but the point is that she's nothing like other "quirky ones". I mean, Vash the Stampede was quirky, the Fonze in Happy Days was quirky, Goku of DBZ is quirky... And so on. But the only link between them all, and Rin, is that they're "odd" or "off kilter". On the other hand, Hanako is the same, down to her very DNA, as the hikikomori from Zetsubou Sensei. You could actually swap them around and the only difference is that the scar would swap from ones face to the other. Nothing else would change.

I mean, all (but one of) the characters in KS are typical and archetypal but it's like a wedding ring or something; it has gold and it has a diamond - like all wedding rings - but it's still good, it's still successful as what it is. It's just that there's also something on the ring that you can't really recognise; something you haven't seen before. That's Rin, as far as I'm concerned, and while the other elements are typical yet totally welcome, this ingredient is totally unexpected and all the better for it.

helmet boy

Post by helmet boy »

I enjoyed the hell out of it, first visual novel/eroge/whatever you want to call it ive played, and ive rather enjoyed it. Shooting for Hanako hopefully.
"t-thank you for H-Hanging out with me"
BURNAN
SHYAN
WHITE KNIGHTAN
KATAWA SHOUJO
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Just finished my first run-through. I must say, that was not what I was expecting. Guess that I've had the wrong idea from day one, because originally, I really liked Shizune and Hanako, but now they're the two characters I can't stand. And Rin is amazing! Go figure.
Kenji is the best character in the game, though, hands down. I can't laughing every time he gets the chance to speak. My favorite part was probably the conversation in "Soap."
Kenji - "It was like that, but with poo."
Palodin

Post by Palodin »

Nestor wrote:My favorite part was probably the conversation in "Soap."
Oh God, why did you make me remember that??

Well, this is my first ever VN, so I don't have a lot of experience with the genre. This might be the worst VN in existance and I wouldn't know. But that said, I really enjoyed it, the writing is brilliant (Noticed 1-2 typos/errors, but I forget where and I'm sure they've been posted already) although maybe some scenes go on a bit too long, not necessarily a bad thing though. The artwork is spot on, the backgrounds/characters/etc all suit each other and the music is interesting. Personally though I'd probably have switched Emi's and Rin's themes, Parity just seems more appropriate for Emi somehow, but this way works as well.

I loved the Manly Picnic scene, that was just brilliant. Liked Rins ending as well.

Well, nothing to do now but wait patiently for the full version to be released so I can continue my Rin route.
Teclo

Post by Teclo »

It seems the general consensus is that if you keep going like this, and carry the plot and character development along nicely, you're onto a real winner.

I just have one other suggestion, a real minor one that'd be a nice touch if you get round to it. When you're playing with a control pad (as I am) and you put it in fullscreen mode, the cursor defaults to the dead centre of the screen. It must be some Ren'Py setting. I was thinking it'd be great if it detected that you're using a control pad and turns the cursor transparent, so it doesn't get in the way.

A sort of glitch related to that is that if you put it into skip mode, it sometimes only goes about 6 lines ahead and then cuts out of skip. This is when you've already read the text. Oddly, if you waggle the d-pad, analogue sticks or just move the mouse around, it carries on skipping. Messing around by clicking on and off KS, fullscreening and un-fullscreening and other such things tend to fix this glitch. I don't really get it myself, but maybe one of the devs will.

hir

Post by hir »

Sort of a proofreading issue, but in the beginning part of "Gateway Effect", you see first 5-6 lines using past tense in their verbs.

> I wondered if it looked like ... but couldn't really decide ...

> "Of course I didn't want to get stuck on ... so I entered through it ...

Except for these lines, virtually every line uses present tense. This may be intentional, but the lines in Gateway Effect stood out after a few re-reading.
notlaura

Post by notlaura »

I thought the tension between Mutou and Misha was funny. Since we know we're not getting a Misha path, I wanna see something where we find out she's banging the teacher. IT WOULD BE SCANDALOUS IDC. Taboo shit always makes eroge better. Look at Kana: Little Sister!
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

notlaura wrote:the tension between Mutou and Misha

Post by Guest »

game breaking issue

near the start of Home Field Advantage, Misha says:

"...We came up pick you up"

seems to be a little off-kilter
Last edited by Silentcook on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Taken care of typo, and thanks.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Hello all.

I have gone through another script-hunting expedition just now, using the reports from this thread since my last post.

I have squashed errors here and there, which will be gone from the next release. You might notice edit lines at the end of your posts, which I left as a 'taken care of' reminder.

Thanks to all of you for having taken the time to report, and please keep going! Your care and attention in feedback is very much appreciated. :)
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.