Who's your favorite and least favorite character?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: Who's your favorite and least favorite character?

Post by Xanatos »

Coleman wrote:Favorite is Jigoro, funniest character in the game.

Least Favorite is Hideaki, he seemed like a bit of a jerk.
Between Jigoro and Hideaki, Hideaki is the jerk?

...You're playing it wrong. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Xanatos wrote:
Coleman wrote:Favorite is Jigoro, funniest character in the game.

Least Favorite is Hideaki, he seemed like a bit of a jerk.
Between Jigoro and Hideaki, Hideaki is the jerk?

...You're playing it wrong. :lol:
I agree wholeheartedly.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Favourite is probably Hanako.

Least favourite is probably Jigoro.

Hideaki wasn't particularly interesting to me, but my reaction to him was mostly one of indifference once the gender-confused organic robot-thing wore off. There must be something more to the little guy, seeing how both Lilly and Akira seem to adore him. Then again, maybe that's just because he seems to be the perfect foil for their mothering tendacies.

I don't really have as much of a problem with Nomiya as some have. Characters don't need to be sympathetic for me to like them. Nomiya turned out to be a bit of a twat (and still a little bit creepy), but at least he acts human and his motivations and actions are believable and make sense, even if they're not sympathetic.

Jigoro, on the other hand, grated on me. He's kind of like the Chris Finch/Todd Packer character from the Office...amusing until you have to deal with him at which point you instantly hate his guts. Unlike Nomiya, he's less of a flawed human being and more an outrageous charicature...which makes him stand out in an otherwise very realistic VN. Kenji's kind of a charicature as well, but he's also a paranoid shut-in who has little human interaction besides Hisao, who seems to humor him most of the time. Jigoro, on the other hand, is portrayed as a highly succesful individual despite the fact the Japanese are even less capable of stomaching a person like him than most westerners would. I guess I just found him jarring.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Dr. Casey

Post by Dr. Casey »

Guest Poster wrote:Jigoro, on the other hand, is portrayed as a highly succesful individual despite the fact the Japanese are even less capable of stomaching a person like him than most westerners would. I guess I just found him jarring.
My guess on that is that Jigoro's abusive personality only comes out at home and with those closest to him, and that otherwise Jigoro is civil and respectful (as he was the first 30 seconds of knowing Hisao). I do wonder what kind of background Jigoro has, or if he was even more of a dick in his 20s and 30s; it's not uncommon for people to be their most damaged during young adulthood, and mellow somewhat by Jigoro's age.

I'll have to think about this. I can say that I don't dislike the two most obvious examples, though. Aside from blowing up at Rin, Nomiya was a perfectly charming and pleasant guy, and Jigoro's such a magnificient bastard that I considered him more of a comedy goldmine than a contemptible antagonist.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Xanatos wrote:
Tomate wrote:I Really like Kenji, his "Shaman eyes" speech is awesome, my least favorite was Nomya since he is kinda of an ass, but now I'm start to hate on Lilly thanks to this very forum.
Because hating a character based on a forum that itself has very little to do with the character makes sense...Somehow.
Lilly was ok, she had some Mary Sue tendencies, but nothing major. But after a year lurking here I getting over exposed to Lilly threads, to the point that when I Think like I think "Huge Waifu Sue"

Besides that, Lilly was my least favorite route and i never was too found of her.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

In other words; it's popular, now it sucks. :) Sounds to me like your beef is not with Lilly, but with Lillybros.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Guest Poster wrote: Sounds to me like your beef is not with Lilly, but with Lillybros.
Hmm, you are correct, wise guest poster.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

No favourites.
Character-wise, I think they're all brilliantly done, very distinct, believable enough to touch, but idealized enough to make you think and consider.

Story-wise I favour Shizune's story due to it's changed theme and focus, but from a character perspective all 5(6) girls are awesome.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Dr. Casey wrote:
Guest Poster wrote:Jigoro, on the other hand, is portrayed as a highly succesful individual despite the fact the Japanese are even less capable of stomaching a person like him than most westerners would. I guess I just found him jarring.
My guess on that is that Jigoro's abusive personality only comes out at home and with those closest to him, and that otherwise Jigoro is civil and respectful (as he was the first 30 seconds of knowing Hisao). I do wonder what kind of background Jigoro has, or if he was even more of a dick in his 20s and 30s; it's not uncommon for people to be their most damaged during young adulthood, and mellow somewhat by Jigoro's age.

I'll have to think about this. I can say that I don't dislike the two most obvious examples, though. Aside from blowing up at Rin, Nomiya was a perfectly charming and pleasant guy, and Jigoro's such a magnificient bastard that I considered him more of a comedy goldmine than a contemptible antagonist.
To add on, I reckon that Jigoro picks his targets. I get the feeling that he's a gentleman to his clients and workers. IMO, he acts up against Shizune and Hideaki because he wants to "correct" stuff which he doesn't like coming from them. As for friends of Shizune, no doubt he sees them as bad influence on her.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Favorite is Emi
Least favorite would probably be Shizune or her brother.
Shadowstalk

Post by Shadowstalk »

Enemy | wrote:Favorite is Emi
I don't really see how those could be your least favorite over a character like Jigoro, but meh, pick your poison I guess.
Here's my Twitter
Hardrockman911: I'm sorry. I know I'm not pretty, like Lilly.
Shadowstalk931: It's okay. Nobody's pretty like Lilly
Hardrockman911: ....
Hardrockman911: I hate being friends with you. I hope you know that.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Shadowstalk wrote:
I don't really see how those could be your least favorite over a character like Jigoro, but meh, pick your poison I guess.
I actually agree with you. But people have vastly different opinions around here. Not much you can do but just accept them.

Still, I agree that Jigoro is a like more unlikable than Hideaki. I don't like Hideaki all that much because he's rather boring and snobby. But since he doesn't show much emotion, there's not much to like or hate about him. Jigoro on the other hand... well, I hate everything about him. From his childish arguments, to his strangely shaped hair. Dude, get a haircut for real!
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

KeiichiO wrote:
Shadowstalk wrote:
I actually agree with you. But people have vastly different opinions around here. Not much you can do but just accept them.

Still, I agree that Jigoro is a like more unlikable than Hideaki. I don't like Hideaki all that much because he's rather boring and snobby. But since he doesn't show much emotion, there's not much to like or hate about him. Jigoro on the other hand... well, I hate everything about him. From his childish arguments, to his strangely shaped hair. Dude, get a haircut for real!
Hey hey hey. Don't knock the hair, some people can pull that off quite well. Like Voltaire (the musician, not the philosopher).
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Steinherz wrote:Hey hey hey. Don't knock the hair, some people can pull that off quite well. Like Voltaire (the musician, not the philosopher).
His hair just looks abnormal. Basically it's a blue super mullet. And for some reason, it progressively gets greener as it gets longer. Very supernatural hair on this guy.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

At least when Jigoro showed up, he could be interesting. Not necessarily likeable, mind you, but interesting. Some of his lines and his interaction with Misha was just gold. He also had a really cool character design, I thought.

Hideaki... there was just nothing. The guy had the personality of a hunk of cardboard. Not even an interesting hunk of cardboard either. Whenever he showed up, I just cringed at the unfunny "comedy" that I knew was coming. The only good parts he had where when he was dire3ctly interacting with Akira, and that's more due to Akira's reactions to him than any character traits he has on his own.

Even the antique shop guy had a stronger personality than he did.
Not Dead Yet