Running on Mac Mountain Lion

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
Hoboy2640

Running on Mac Mountain Lion

Post by Hoboy2640 »

I recently upgraded from Snow Leopard to latest OS and have lost the ability to run KS at all. However, I can still launch and run the earlier Act 1 .dmg. I see threads where the only issue is no fullscreen. I would love to run it at all - I have a PC but it has lost sound capability, and for me the soundtrack is a huge part of the experience.

When I launch the dmg it momentarily opens a blank screen (like its starting the 4LS opening sequence) and then stops and disappears. It then won't close without a force quit. i have read where it was an issue with the Renpy engine being PowerPC driven, but now have doubts as I can run the older Act1 dmg without issue and see others here who can run with only the issue of no full screen. It seems to be more driven by the Renpy rev than mac OS...

I have erased and reloaded twice with the same results. I am reduced to when I want to replay my favorite scenes going to the pc with my mac on the side and playing the soundtrack via iTunes on the mac as needed to get it all. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Any full versions of KS in different revs of Renpy available?
Last edited by Hoboy2640 on Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
griffon8

Re: Running on Mac Mountain Lion

Post by griffon8 »

The only thing I can think of is if the program is set to start in full screen mode and crashes because it can't do that. I haven't had any problem myself, and I've got the same setup.

When you say you reloaded, do you mean you copied it from another disk, or do you mean you downloaded a new copy? Also, it can be troublesome to track down a bad preference file if that's the problem.

Sorry I can't be more help.
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Hoboy2640

Post by Hoboy2640 »

griffon8 wrote:The only thing I can think of is if the program is set to start in full screen mode and crashes because it can't do that. I haven't had any problem myself, and I've got the same setup.

When you say you reloaded, do you mean you copied it from another disk, or do you mean you downloaded a new copy? Also, it can be troublesome to track down a bad preference file if that's the problem.

Sorry I can't be more help.
I downloaded a fresh copy ([4ls]_katawa_shoujo_[mac][0B31CA0B].dmg) from the site. Still looks like it tries to open in full screen and then just disappears and the app freezes - have to force quit. Bummer - I had it at 100% too...
Hoboy2640

Post by Hoboy2640 »

PS all - RenpyTom helped me out. For others having issues, you can create the file environment.txt including the contents:

RENPY_DISABLE_FULLSCREEN="yes"

in the auto run folder under resources in the .app It then always opens in windowed mode. I am happy - and back at 100% completion..

Full explanation:

First, create a simple text file (text edit is fine) with just one line of code RENPY_DISABLE_FULLSCREEN="yes" and name the file environment.txt

Next, open the .app for KS by right clicking and showing package contents. Open the folders Contents/resources/autorun. The file you created needs to reside in that folder. Once there, it will force KS to always open the game in windowed rather than fullscreen mode.

Adding pics that show this
Open from folder.png
Open from folder.png (52.02 KiB) Viewed 5625 times
Open from image.png
Open from image.png (133.51 KiB) Viewed 5625 times
folder location.png
folder location.png (55.53 KiB) Viewed 5625 times
Coolwataz100

Post by Coolwataz100 »

Hey guys, I am using a Mac as well but it seems as if I can't even download the game. I have downloaded the file but when trying to open it, it says "Disk unrecognizable", Please help.
griffon8

Post by griffon8 »

Assuming it's a DDL, are you getting a file by the name [4ls]_katawa_shoujo_[mac][0B31CA0B].dmg that is 486.9 MB in size?
I found out about Katawa Shoujo through the forums of Misfile. There, I am the editor of Misfiled Dreams.

Completed: 100%, including bonus picture. Shizune>Emi>Lilly>Hanako>Rin

Griffon8's Writing
Fenrill

Post by Fenrill »

I'm having the same issue. I've created and inserted the environment.txt code but now the game won't start at all, it simply displays the error message : SyntaxError: unexpected character after line continuation character (environment.txt, line 1) - then gives me the option to either terminate or open console.