Troubling thought

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nekken

Re: Troubling thought

Post by Nekken »

The first big key to understanding love is that falling in love and being in love feel different. What we see in KS is falling in love. You don't see so many stories about being in love, because it's not as exciting. It has its own rewards, but it's not a volcanic rush the way falling in love is, and it's a lot more work. Still, stories about it do exist. The ancient myth of Baucis and Philemon is one of the oldest examples.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Nekken wrote:The first big key to understanding love is that falling in love and being in love feel different. What we see in KS is falling in love. You don't see so many stories about being in love, because it's not as exciting. It has its own rewards, but it's not a volcanic rush the way falling in love is, and it's a lot more work. Still, stories about it do exist. The ancient myth of Baucis and Philemon is one of the oldest examples.
There's an ancient myth about a dude named Baucis and a Digimon?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Xanatos wrote:
Nekken wrote:The first big key to understanding love is that falling in love and being in love feel different. What we see in KS is falling in love. You don't see so many stories about being in love, because it's not as exciting. It has its own rewards, but it's not a volcanic rush the way falling in love is, and it's a lot more work. Still, stories about it do exist. The ancient myth of Baucis and Philemon is one of the oldest examples.
There's an ancient myth about a dude named Baucis and a Digimon?
No, it's about that guy from the early Persona games.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Remaining in love is alot about mutual respect. In most of the good endings, Hisao showed respect to the wishes of the girls and the girls in turn didn't take him for granted.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Unconditional love? Are you sure you've been reading the same VN as the rest of us?
Lilly came this close to simply ditching Hisao, Hanako seduced him to overcome her self-doubts and Emi almost left him because she didn't want him to get too close. I won't get started on Rin, because you haven't read that path yet.
Yes, the final scenes are all butterflies in every route, but none of those relationships will be "perfect" in the future.
I think I can understand where the poster is coming from by calling it unconditional love.

In this case, it's that they know each other isn't perfect and has problems, but accept that about each other and love each other anyway.

As for having problems, they've had problems even getting to the point where they did in the good ending and show the strength of character to try and work out any difficulties that might arise. ... in most cases anyway.
Not Dead Yet
Parliament

Post by Parliament »

Xanatos wrote:@Parliament: That advice is terrible for people who actually enjoy video games. :lol:
The way you worded that gave me a hearty lol =)

On the contrary though, I think that advice is most important for people who enjoy video games.

The point I was trying to make isn't that you should be constantly trying to force yourself out of your comfort zone or that you should always stay away from things you dislike; I just was pointing out the fact that balance is always important, and balance also becomes very easy to forget when you really enjoy doing something.
I wish I had some kind of succinct piece of wisdom to put here. Oh well, bathrobes are comfy =)
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Parliament wrote:
Xanatos wrote:@Parliament: That advice is terrible for people who actually enjoy video games. :lol:
The way you worded that gave me a hearty lol =)

On the contrary though, I think that advice is most important for people who enjoy video games.

The point I was trying to make isn't that you should be constantly trying to force yourself out of your comfort zone or that you should always stay away from things you dislike; I just was pointing out the fact that balance is always important, and balance also becomes very easy to forget when you really enjoy doing something.
Only point I got from it was "Don't play video games, you'll be happy." :P And balance is very important. It's why I hop around with books on my head. :mrgreen:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

Like the ancient greek philosophers said, "Moderation in all things", though they forgot to add, "except moderation!
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

Denouement wrote:Like the ancient greek philosophers said, "Moderation in all things", though they forgot to add, "except moderation!
Virtue is the golden mean?
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

@OP
You wont find a "perfect love", nothing is perfect in this world, perfection belong to the world of the mind. I think Plato said this.
@Whoever said that Hanako and Hisao are mature

Are you serious?! Don't confuse introspection with maturity. And i still think Hanako will stick around Hisao for a time, after some months she will have way more self-esteem, she will realize that she's actually beautiful, and will eventually ditch him for someone better.

Teen love rarely endures.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Tomate wrote: @Whoever said that Hanako and Hisao are mature

Are you serious?! Don't confuse introspection with maturity. And i still think Hanako will stick around Hisao for a time, after some months she will have way more self-esteem, she will realize that she's actually beautiful, and will eventually ditch him for someone better.

That actually happened in this fanfic. :lol:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Tomate wrote: @Whoever said that Hanako and Hisao are mature

That actually happened in this fanfic. :lol:
Cool. Usually I don't read Fanfic, but its nice to know that someone else thinks the way I do about Hanako ending.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Tomate wrote:@OP
And i still think Hanako will stick around Hisao for a time, after some months she will have way more self-esteem, she will realize that she's actually beautiful, and will eventually ditch him for someone better.
You're allowed to think that. Alternate views on the character an all that.

Granted, it goes against pretty much everything we know about the character, but there's nothing wrong with believing that anymore than there's anything wrong with believing Shizune will become a hardcore heroin addict and cannibal shortly after graduation.
Not Dead Yet
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Oddball wrote:
Tomate wrote:@OP
And i still think Hanako will stick around Hisao for a time, after some months she will have way more self-esteem, she will realize that she's actually beautiful, and will eventually ditch him for someone better.
You're allowed to think that. Alternate views on the character an all that.

Granted, it goes against pretty much everything we know about the character, but there's nothing wrong with believing that anymore than there's anything wrong with believing Shizune will become a hardcore heroin addict and cannibal shortly after graduation.
Maybe its about how we view life and the people we know. Why do i Think Hanako would eventually dump Hisao? Well, story time:

One of my friends was a somewhat shy programmer chick, she was kind of a computer freak and had a boyfriend, a older dude who was an all around nice guy, it was her first boyfriend, everything was kinda OK, after a while she lost her shyness and became more social influenced by her boyfriend, after a while she was not shy anymore, became more talkative and started making some friends here and there, soon she learned that lots of her friends found that a girtl that can code is pretty hot, and she left her boyfriend of 3 years, and went on a series of casual dates.

Sometime later i asked her why she left her boyfriend, since he and I became friends, and she said something like: I never dated when i was younger, i want to live a little, i was not ready for a serious relationship, just thought i was. She was 20 at the time, she started dating her first boyfriend when she was 16.

My friend is not Hanako, i know, they are actually very different, the only thing in common is the shyness. But i can see the same pattern in a HanakoXHisao relationship.

Now, Can you explain your theory about Shizune, cannibalism and heroin?
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I've always found the whole "We met in highschool, started dating, and eventually married" thing to be kind of creepy. People should date around, and get to know other members of the opposite sex, not just stick to one person their entire lives. But I'd like to think that even if they do drift apart as a couple, H&H would still stay friends.
Last edited by pandaphil on Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.