Katawa Shoujo, my first VN....

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Danish Military

Katawa Shoujo, my first VN....

Post by Danish Military »

So, I thought I'd tell you about my VN experience. Sorry if the text's a bit messy, I tend to just write whatever's on my mind.

I started out wanting to try Hanako's route. She really interested me, but I ended up on Emi's route instead. Emi was fantastic and I think it's the route that gave me most feels. I ended in a bad ending, and just couldn't accept it, so I tried again and got the good ending. She really was amazing, though I was quite sure she lied about her age xD

Then I tried Lilly's, seing as she was the most attractive in the game. In my opinion, her route is the best. Lilly is basically everything I want from a girl in real life, she really spoke to my heart. Lilly Act 4 Spoiler: when she said she was moving to Scotland, I was heartbroken and found myself punching a wall, which isn't exactly something I do often... Then I tried Hanako's, and it was good. It gave me this good feeling when I completed it in a good ending.

Katawa Shoujo, overall is just an amazing VN, and definitely something I used a lot of time on. Right now I'm on Rin's route, which was totally unintentionally since I tried getting on Shizune's. Do not ask me how I got on Rin's route, because I do not know. I also took "Kenji's Route" just for the lulz, and it ended out as a surprise xD

I, myself, have been to a school for disabled aswell, though this school was for Mentally Disabled Children. Now, you may ask "But why did you go to such a school?" but it's a long, dramatic, and overall not so interesting story, so I'll give you a short answer: Bad raising and a major social disability, but now I'm on an average level in school, though I'm still in class for mentally disabled because of my Social disability. I'm a lot like Hanako, other than the fact that I am able to speak to people, I just choose not to because I've got a feeling that friendships are fake and untrustable. I guess that's one of the reasons I liked Katawa Shoujo, because it was the perfect friends; if they betrayed me of left me, I could just start over, and no matter what, I could always choose a happy ending.

I tried playing other VNs but they just aren't Katawa Shoujo. It's similar to books. I don't really read other fiction books than Jules Verne, and I don't really play other VNs than Katawa Shoujo, because I'm too attached. I guess that's just how it is :P
Last edited by Danish Military on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive."
- Lilly Satou

You know you've been playin KS too much when you're ringtone is "Out of A Loop"- the soundtrack for Kenji...

"Can You See What I See?"
tounymalouny

Re: Katawa Shoujo, my first VN....

Post by tounymalouny »

Danish Military wrote: I tried playing other VNs bu they just aren't Katawa Shoujo.
I feel you bro, I don't want to play any other VN's either (yet). Maybe after the feels start to dissolve a bit I'll consider giving others a try.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Danish Military wrote: I tried playing other VNs bu they just aren't Katawa Shoujo. It's similar to books. I don't really resd other fiction books than Jules Verne, and I don't really play other VNs than Katawa Shoujo, because I'm too attached. I guess that's just how it is :P
You'll find that many VNs are just as good, and perhaps even better than Katawa Shoujo. You might just be looking at the wrong ones, or not giving them a chance since many of them (Katawa Shoujo included) start off rather slow. If you want to read others then you should try True Remembrance, a freeware VN and a short one as well. I wouldn't recommend trying another VN so soon after KS anyway, give it a week or two.
Banryu

Post by Banryu »

Yeah, I wasn't really aware of the existence of such a thing as a VN before I played Katawa Shoujo.
It kind of blew my mind how unexpectedly effective it ended up being at just telling a story in ways that books and film just can't.
Danish Military wrote: I started out wanting to try Hanako's route. She really interested me, but I ended up on Emi's route instead.
That seems to happen to a lot of people. o___O
Danish Military wrote:I guess that's one of the reasons I liked Katawa Shoujo, because it was the perfect friends; if they betrayed me of left me, I could just start over, and no matter what, I could always choose a happy ending.
Just like in real life.
Escapism every now and then isn't a bad thing, but if I were you I'd be careful not to let an ideal like that consume me... There are a lot of easily all-consuming ideals in Katawa Shoujo that I felt I needed to be wary of, personally.

I don't really care to try any other VNs either... I hear there are a lot of bad ones, but if others are as good as KS, I'm worried about having to grapple with 'The Feels' again... and I barely survived that the last time. Damned if I do, damned if I don't... ~___~
Holy shit how do I practically have 50 posts already
Goddammit KS stop consuming my life
I mean it
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Katawa Shoujo is my first VN, and probably my last, unless there are other VNs that place such a heavy emphasis on friendship.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

YZQ wrote:Katawa Shoujo is my first VN, and probably my last, unless there are other VNs that place such a heavy emphasis on friendship.

This is a Japanese-oriented game. How many Animes/VN's/JRPGS are there that don't have SOME SORT of Friendship moral?

But this goes for the OP as well, play Fate/Stay Night. Make sure you install the Realta Nua patch. That shit will BLOW YOUR MIND. 100x better than Katawa Shoujo.
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

To avoid another meaningless thread of recommending other VNS

go here

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3178

and check out

http://i3.minus.com/ibwwHXkRf2aBc9.png
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Danish Military wrote:I tried playing other VNs but they just aren't Katawa Shoujo. It's similar to books. I don't really read other fiction books than Jules Verne
So you deliberately restrict your entertainment options to a pitiful little pool of choices...Why, exactly? :?
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

Danish Military wrote:I guess that's one of the reasons I liked Katawa Shoujo, because it was the perfect friends; if they betrayed me of left me, I could just start over, and no matter what, I could always choose a happy ending.
For quite a few years, video games were a form of escapism for me. It was a lot easier for me to play MULE or Phantasy Star or Uncharted Waters than deal with people in the real world. (And I assumed other people were so conservative that they'd attend church revivals just to destroy video games, or that they were too macho and jock-like to enjoy games.) I'm not sure how many people have had similar thoughts... though I recall an episode of RetroforceGo in which the hosts admitted that they wished they could meet some of their favorite fictional characters in real life.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:
YZQ wrote:Katawa Shoujo is my first VN, and probably my last, unless there are other VNs that place such a heavy emphasis on friendship.

This is a Japanese-oriented game. How many Animes/VN's/JRPGS are there that don't have SOME SORT of Friendship moral?

But this goes for the OP as well, play Fate/Stay Night. Make sure you install the Realta Nua patch. That shit will BLOW YOUR MIND. 100x better than Katawa Shoujo.
Friendship done in a fairly realistic way. Seek first to understand, then to be understood. Both parts are important. Very few series dwelt on both parts.

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Danish Military

Post by Danish Military »

Xanatos wrote:
Danish Military wrote:I tried playing other VNs but they just aren't Katawa Shoujo. It's similar to books. I don't really read other fiction books than Jules Verne
So you deliberately restrict your entertainment options to a pitiful little pool of choices...Why, exactly? :?
I don't know. I just like the way Jules Verne writes, and since I hardly ever read fiction, then I guess I might as well stick to what I know I enjoy.
"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive."
- Lilly Satou

You know you've been playin KS too much when you're ringtone is "Out of A Loop"- the soundtrack for Kenji...

"Can You See What I See?"
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Danish Military wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
I don't know. I just like the way Jules Verne writes, and since I hardly ever read fiction, then I guess I might as well stick to what I know I enjoy.
If you like Jules Verne I'd also make a recommendation of H.G. Wells (War of The Worlds to be specific). They are from around the same period (early SciFi) and Mr. Wells wrote some pretty good novels/novella.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Danish Military wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
I read history, and Lord knows that some of the worst history texts read like fiction.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

YZQ wrote:I read history, and Lord knows that some of the worst history texts read like fiction.
Some of it is basically fiction. History's only written by the winners. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

Xanatos wrote:
YZQ wrote:I read history, and Lord knows that some of the worst history texts read like fiction.
Some of it is basically fiction. History's only written by the winners. :P
By all that is holy, someday alternate evidence will pop up. Besides, in modern academic circles, if you refuse to discuss evidence that is contrary to your stand, you will not be taken seriously. Different interpretations? No problem. Ignoring alternate evidence? Good luck getting beyond the lunatic fringe.