Ask!

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

tommo1982

Re: Ask!

Post by tommo1982 »

Aura wrote:
tommo1982 wrote:Did you ever think about releasing the game as a book? It'd be something. You surely noticed the stories you wrote tend to make people think and look from a different perspective.

My grandfather has arrythmia. I'm not sure whether a whole book would give me the perspective of what it means, more than going through the game. I believe none of you thought KS could be educational :)
Don't really see any advantages in adapting KS into novel form, so no.
To reach more people. Unless vast audience was never your intention in the first place. I just thought KS could be instructive for many people in various ways.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

tommo1982 wrote:
Aura wrote:
tommo1982 wrote:Did you ever think about releasing the game as a book? It'd be something. You surely noticed the stories you wrote tend to make people think and look from a different perspective.

My grandfather has arrythmia. I'm not sure whether a whole book would give me the perspective of what it means, more than going through the game. I believe none of you thought KS could be educational :)
Don't really see any advantages in adapting KS into novel form, so no.
To reach more people. Unless vast audience was never your intention in the first place. I just thought KS could be instructive for many people in various ways.
Yep, we don't really care about that. KS's audience is more than vast enough already for us, there's no need to reach out for more.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

ewx wrote:What was the hardest part of writing?

I fancy trying my hand at it but knowing ahead what kind of things to look out for would really help.
Keeping the text contained in its own framework. Some people write very sprawling and flowing text that keeps on branching and spreading, but I want to keep my text very connected with itself. For every little subplot, offhand remark, theme, literary motif and other detail introduced, I wanted there to be some form of closure, echo or reflection before the story ends. It's difficult to keep track of so many trains of thought crossing over each other all over, while also trying to write engaging narrative, keeping the characterization in line and taking care of the plot.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
StudyOfWumbology

Post by StudyOfWumbology »

Aura wrote:

I fancy trying my hand at it but knowing ahead what kind of things to look out for would really help.
Keeping the text contained in its own framework. Some people write very sprawling and flowing text that keeps on branching and spreading, but I want to keep my text very connected with itself. For every little subplot, offhand remark, theme, literary motif and other detail introduced, I wanted there to be some form of closure, echo or reflection before the story ends. It's difficult to keep track of so many trains of thought crossing over each other all over, while also trying to write engaging narrative, keeping the characterization in line and taking care of the plot.
Is that why you did that one Rin scene?
Things happen. For the best or for the worst we do not know.
TheHivemind
Path Writer

Post by TheHivemind »

For me the hardest part of writing is knowing when a given idea just isn't worth pursuing. I have notebooks and files full of stories that I thought were really great, but because I just kinda jumped into them without actually working out how the idea would be executed, they never went anywhere. The initial planning phase is key (or at least it has turned out to be for me)--otherwise everything kinda meanders and then you just quit because you don't know where you're going.

That's not to say that you're always going to follow whatever plan you sketched out (sometimes you decide to conclude things earlier than you thought, or you just get rid of a couple events that on second thought aren't necessary), but the act of sitting down and planning out your story/essay/whatever will help get you in the right frame of mind. The problem (at least for me) is that I always get impatient with that part because OH MAN I JUST THOUGHT OF THE COOLEST BIT OF BACK AND FORTH or whatever. You gotta be disciplined, and it is kind of lame, but the results will be way better if you are. I've said it before but I wasted just an atrocious amount of time writing a draft of Emi's path without having any kind of plan for where it was going and in the end it was like a solid year or two's worth of work down the toilet. Totally not worth it.
ewx

Post by ewx »

Ok, so I'm planning stuff now, but I'm running into problems.

Is there a definitive time scale on which events happen? I know the festival is in act 1 whichever route you go on, but things like Tanabata and the track meet are really starting to confuse me.
If there is anything even resembling a calendar or just an ordered list of when those things happen would help because I am confused as hell right now.
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

Carighan wrote:
Aura wrote:Don't really see any advantages in adapting KS into novel form, so no.
Before we'd get Katawa Shoujo The Novel, I'd prefer Katawa Shoujo The Merchandise, anyhow.

Katawa Shoujo - Gigantic box of tear resistant tissues!

:P

Nuff said.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

The hardest part for me was writing to a "plan".

When I think of a story, the skeleton of it appears in my head quite quickly, and then I hang the meat of the story off those bones. Similar to Hivemind's response, I jump back and forwards a bit, adding in new little bits an pieces all over the place.

However, in KS, we had a pretty rigorous planning regime. This involved writing little snippets of each scene so that everyone could comment on the structure of the story, and also to make sure that there was a certain consistency to the story; this was, by the way, absolutely necessary within KS.

But when I tried writing the scenes, I found myself constrained by the preconceived flow that the story had to take, and that de-motivated me.

The other thing for me is editing. I can quite easily gloss over a bit of text that I have written, fix up errors and timing/flow issues, but to really dissect a piece and re-write it is hard. It feels like you're re-doing something that is already "complete". However, one thing that I did learn from KS was Aura's (and other's) dogged commitment to quality. Even if it's a pain in the arse, if it's worth doing, it's worth doing it right.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

StudyOfWumbology wrote:
Aura wrote:

Is that why you did that one Rin scene?
"That one Rin scene" is pretty unspecific.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

ewx wrote:Ok, so I'm planning stuff now, but I'm running into problems.

Is there a definitive time scale on which events happen? I know the festival is in act 1 whichever route you go on, but things like Tanabata and the track meet are really starting to confuse me.
If there is anything even resembling a calendar or just an ordered list of when those things happen would help because I am confused as hell right now.
The timeline of KS is not very rigorous at all. Events do follow each other according to a rough timeline across all the paths, for instance the track meet is always the weekend after the festival, but there are discrepancies and such here and there.
StudyOfWumbology

Post by StudyOfWumbology »

Aura wrote:
StudyOfWumbology wrote: Is that why you did that one Rin scene?
Well, the one scene where Rin hit you with a wall of text.
Things happen. For the best or for the worst we do not know.
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

StudyOfWumbology wrote:
Aura wrote:
But there are two of those, iirc.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

StudyOfWumbology wrote:
Aura wrote:
Still too unspecific for above reason, but either way, no. Scenes are Big Things, can't really sum up motivations of writing each one very simply.
Doctor

Post by Doctor »

Im asking this out of pure curiosity.

How many deep (like really deep) messages have you received from people who feel that their lives have been changed from the game?

Just a rough number, no names.
"... No matter how people see me as, pariah or paragon, I am but myself."
-FL
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Doctor wrote:Im asking this out of pure curiosity.

How many deep (like really deep) messages have you received from people who feel that their lives have been changed from the game?

Just a rough number, no names.
I don't know what should be considered "like really deep", but dozens, maybe low hundreds? I don't know.