The Hypothetical Sequel

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

emmjay

Re: The Hypothetical Seuqel

Post by emmjay »

Kitsune Spirit wrote:I played a character in the WOD rpg that had a heaping portion of paranoia, which was pretty fun. :)
In WOD, paranoia is merely a natural and healthy response to the world around you. To quote Harry Dresden: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."
Anyway, if a sequel happened (which we all know it won't), I'd like to see some of the girls who are in KS but receive little to no characterization get fleshed out. Not necessarily even be romance options, just get fleshed out. Miki, Suzu, Naomi, Natsume, Molly, etc. Maybe Rika and Saki could find a home, so to speak, in KS2.

Of course, the sequel could always be like this...
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Xanatos

Re: The Hypothetical Seuqel

Post by Xanatos »

emmjay wrote:
Kitsune Spirit wrote:I played a character in the WOD rpg that had a heaping portion of paranoia, which was pretty fun. :)
In WOD, paranoia is merely a natural and healthy response to the world around you. To quote Harry Dresden: "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there isn't an invisible demon about to eat your face."
Anyway, if a sequel happened (which we all know it won't), I'd like to see some of the girls who are in KS but receive little to no characterization get fleshed out. Not necessarily even be romance options, just get fleshed out. Miki, Suzu, Naomi, Natsume, Molly, etc. Maybe Rika and Saki could find a home, so to speak, in KS2.

Of course, the sequel could always be like this...
Or this...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
pandaphil

Re: The Hypothetical Sequel

Post by pandaphil »

Now don't be sexist. Women are as capable of crying manly tears as any guy. ;)
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:Now don't be sexist. Women are as capable of crying manly tears as any guy. ;)
Nope. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Banryu

Post by Banryu »

I'm afraid I don't really see a point in discussing a 'hypothetical' sequel if it's been declared that one won't be made, or at least not in the forseeable future IF you're willing to be optimistic. There's no reason to expect that either 4LS will make a direct sequel, or allow any other developer/team to do so... it really just seems like wishful thinking.

If they DO decide to revisit Yamaku and the characters from 4LS, I'd prefer to simply wait and see what they come up with for themselves; call me unimaginative and boring if you will.
However, seeing as the fact that KS was created and finished at all is more or less a small miracle, I wouldn't really expect to see anything quite like this ever again. Even if 4LS DID decide to make another visual novel or other such game, I'd actually expect them to start with something original and entirely new... KS was based on a silly little sketch on the endpage of some doujin, right? I dunno, with a group of talents like 4LS, I get the feeling they'd rather move on to the next great thing they feel they can create.

Shizune would be disappointed with y'all's unrealistic expectations.
Holy shit how do I practically have 50 posts already
Goddammit KS stop consuming my life
I mean it
CaptPonyholder

Post by CaptPonyholder »

Banryu wrote:I'm afraid I don't really see a point in discussing a 'hypothetical' sequel if it's been declared that one won't be made, or at least not in the forseeable future IF you're willing to be optimistic. There's no reason to expect that either 4LS will make a direct sequel, or allow any other developer/team to do so... it really just seems like wishful thinking.

If they DO decide to revisit Yamaku and the characters from 4LS, I'd prefer to simply wait and see what they come up with for themselves; call me unimaginative and boring if you will.
However, seeing as the fact that KS was created and finished at all is more or less a small miracle, I wouldn't really expect to see anything quite like this ever again. Even if 4LS DID decide to make another visual novel or other such game, I'd actually expect them to start with something original and entirely new... KS was based on a silly little sketch on the endpage of some doujin, right? I dunno, with a group of talents like 4LS, I get the feeling they'd rather move on to the next great thing they feel they can create.

After the initial run of Kid Icarus and its GameBoy Sequel, the creator had said he would never create another Kid Icarus game. About 15 years later: Kid Icarus: Uprising was released for the 3DS.

I never take a "Never" at face-value.

Another example: George Lucas said there would never be another Star Wars movie. 2015, Star Wars 7 will be released.

Also, the sequel could be a game entirely different. Look at X-Com or BioShock: Infinite. Both are polar opposites of their original games. Bioshock was a tight corridor, little exploration and claustrophobic environments. Infinite is a wide-open game, allowing for huge areas to explore. XCom is now an FPS instead of a TBS. Things can be completely different.

Now to get back on topic: Who knows, if they were to create a sequel to Katawa Shoujo, it could take a different route all together. You could play as a Teacher new to Yamaku Academy, or some similiar type of institution. The goal would be to help your students along with absolutely no "love" scenes, unless it was with a fellow teacher/parent. Who knows, you could possibly adopt one of the kids if they were orphans.
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

actually the FPS XCOM got turned into a TPS and then I think it got canned but theres still Enemy Unknown
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

CaptPonyholder wrote:2015, Star Wars 7 will be released.
Not to mention 8 and 9 are planned too...At least. Yours is a good idea though. If I had the artistic ability, I might make something of that. :mrgreen:

And I'm thinking Banryu missed the point of the word "hypothetical"... :lol: Nobody's expecting anything at all but if there were no point in discussing things that might never be, that word wouldn't exist in the first place.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Banryu wrote:I'm afraid I don't really see a point in discussing a 'hypothetical' sequel if it's been declared that one won't be made, or at least not in the forseeable future IF you're willing to be optimistic.
You don't see the point in having fun? Shame on you! Shame! That's all we're doing. Just shooting the breeze, throwing out ideas, seeing what people can come up with, that sort of thing.

Try it.
There's no reason to expect that either 4LS will make a direct sequel, or allow any other developer/team to do so... it really just seems like wishful thinking.
What's wrong with wishful thinking?
Okay. I will.

You're unimaginative and boring and you dress funny.

(Yes, I know that's more than you said I can do, but sometimes in life you just have to reach for that extra little piece of the pie.)
She would, but considering I don't agree with her on most things anyway, that's not really that big a deal to me.
Not Dead Yet
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Oddball wrote:She would, but considering I don't agree with her on most things anyway, that's not really that big a deal to me.
Technically, she wouldn't, because nobody expects anything to come of any of this. :lol:
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Banryu wrote:I'm afraid I don't really see a point in discussing a 'hypothetical' sequel if it's been declared that one won't be made, or at least not in the forseeable future IF you're willing to be optimistic. There's no reason to expect that either 4LS will make a direct sequel, or allow any other developer/team to do so... it really just seems like wishful thinking.

Awwww, no other reason than to just have fun, and use our imaginations. Honestly, its better than yet another "I HAZ TEH FEELZ!" thread isn't it? :D
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Banryu

Post by Banryu »

Hah, looks like I pressed a lot of buttons with my little shpeal.
CaptPonyholder wrote: After the initial run of Kid Icarus and its GameBoy Sequel, the creator had said he would never create another Kid Icarus game. About 15 years later: Kid Icarus: Uprising was released for the 3DS.

I never take a "Never" at face-value.
As a rebuttal, I'd point out that all of your examples occurred quite a significant length of time later than the original from which they'd spawned... However, you do make a good point.

I'll admit that the extra material I've seen from the 4LS artists (Secret Santa arts and such) seem to suggest that 4LS themselves do have a bit of attachment to the world of Yamaku, and would like to see it fleshed out more, and I'd certainly welcome that.
Xanatos wrote:And I'm thinking Banryu missed the point of the word "hypothetical"... :lol: Nobody's expecting anything at all but if there were no point in discussing things that might never be, that word wouldn't exist in the first place.
Oddball wrote: You don't see the point in having fun? Shame on you! Shame! That's all we're doing. Just shooting the breeze, throwing out ideas, seeing what people can come up with, that sort of thing.

Try it.
I'm not really a 'hypothetical' kind of person-- I don't see the sense in imagining what could have been if you could get that one date with an unmarried Scarlet Johansson, or what other 3rd party characters would be cool in Brawl, etc. etc.-- But, I sometimes forget that that's my opinion and not necessarily a correct outlook. Forgive me for attempting to impose my views on the thread. *bows*

Still, upon further consideration, it's not like there's not still room for hypotheses on events that still have a probability of occurring, and admittedly a continuation of the Yamaku universe isn't so far out of the realm of possibility as... other things. So yeah, I'll take it back.

But I'd still rather keep my expectations low, so I'm not disappointed if no sequel happens, if it's all the same to y'allz. >3>
pandaphil wrote:
Banryu wrote:boring ranty stuff
Awwww, no other reason than to just have fun, and use our imaginations. Honestly, its better than yet another "I HAZ TEH FEELZ!" thread isn't it? :D
True enough I suppose.
Oddball wrote:You're unimaginative and boring and you dress funny.
I won't disagree with the first two but you have no evidence of the lattermost. *w*

Sorry for dragging the thread so far off-topic.
Holy shit how do I practically have 50 posts already
Goddammit KS stop consuming my life
I mean it
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Banryu wrote:But I'd still rather keep my expectations low...
Everyone's expectations are low or nil. That's why it's hypothetical. :P

I do recall a post many months ago from a 4LS member vaguely hinting at something...I think it was crud. Didn't seem KS-related though.
udscbt

Post by udscbt »

Xanatos wrote:
Banryu wrote:But I'd still rather keep my expectations low...
Everyone's expectations are low or nil. That's why it's hypothetical. :P

I do recall a post many months ago from a 4LS member vaguely hinting at something...I think it was crud. Didn't seem KS-related though.
Well, in the blog post for the anniversary Aura wrote that they wanted to work on new projects and try to release them this year, anyway nothing to do with KS.