Did we change?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Pyramid Head

Re: Did we change?

Post by Pyramid Head »

Denouement wrote:I said nothing about it "fitting", I'm saying that simply deeming a character in a virtual novel to have Asperger's seems silly.

Maybe. But it is Rin. Playing it 100% straight is impossible.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Denouement wrote:I said nothing about it "fitting", I'm saying that simply deeming a character in a virtual novel to have Asperger's seems silly.
Silly as in? I don't get what you mean by that.
If you mean unnecessary, maybe. But then again, Aspergers has been proven to actually be more common in people than ADD/ADHD is. So her having Aspergers makes just as much sense as "she's just a bit of a loon"
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

Steinherz wrote:
If you mean unnecessary, maybe. But then again, Aspergers has been proven to actually be more common in people than ADD/ADHD is. So her having Aspergers makes just as much sense as "she's just a bit of a loon"
Silly as in someone believing that they can make a canon diagnosis that isn't mentioned anywhere in the story. Because that is silly. I have no problem of the idea of her having it, logically or emotionally, my only confusion is towards those who simply say she has it. It isn't our place to look at peoples' works and diagnose their personalities and claiming it is so. How absolutely bizarre.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

If Rin has Asperger's, then it's undiagnosed; she herself says that she has absolutely no idea what's wrong with her. But given that there is no diagnosis, I don't think there's any way to call Asperger's canon. There are lots of things that can cause the symptoms she shows, many of which aren't even on the autism spectrum.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Pyramid Head wrote:But it is Rin. Playing it 100% straight is impossible.
So you're saying Rin is a lesbian?

I always wondered where Misha went after Shizune's bad ending... :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
SkyraScarletXVII

Post by SkyraScarletXVII »

Denouement wrote:
Steinherz wrote:
Silly as in someone believing that they can make a canon diagnosis that isn't mentioned anywhere in the story. Because that is silly. I have no problem of the idea of her having it, logically or emotionally, my only confusion is towards those who simply say she has it. It isn't our place to look at peoples' works and diagnose their personalities and claiming it is so. How absolutely bizarre.
Well haven't I stirred some controversy here. xD
By that, I meant it fits her behaviour, rather than it defining her or being canon. Just that by thinking of the possibility of it, you see the game in a different light.
At least...I did, anyway. :lol:
It's weird how things work. You'll never know how much something can mean to you until ages afterwards, when you don't need it as much and can stand on your own. But you look back, and realise how much that thing meant to you then. In a sense, the fictional characters I relied on before are why I'm here now.
Hanako = Misha > Lilly > Emi > Rin > Shizune
DaMan65

Post by DaMan65 »

I have not posted here in a long time so many may not remember me but I just popped on here and saw this topic.

Honestly I can say Katawa Shoujo has changed me in a lasting way. I used to be fairly dejected, cynical, and overall down on life in general.

I wouldn't say KS completely flipped my world view on its head, but it showed me what there is to hope for in life, and set me on better track.

I'm now in a great relationship with an amazing girl, I've been inspired to start writing and drawing again, so yes I would say I have changed for the better.
By reading this you have given me temporary control of you mind
Dr_Chickenman

Post by Dr_Chickenman »

I'm playing it since yesterday...and... are there changes? I dunno... Somehow my mind changes. Gets more ease since I'm not challenging such forever-settled-things as the characters in the game do.

But still I'm that reality-focused to tell: damn, it sores my heart but things won't ever ever do as easy as they do in the game. Life's been a struggle and ever will be. No matter what.

Maybe we all should get used to... even if the most depressive music we listen to gets a bit more colorful...

'Let it be, let it be...' (John Lennon)
Jay

Post by Jay »

I can say I did change my outlook on my life as of my current times. I must say the two characters that had the greatest impact on me were Emi, and Hanako. I work for my local EMS and Fire Departments and reading of their stories and intently listening to them brought up memories I've had, it's all too uncommon for me to have to deal with children in my line of work, but I've never given much thought as to how their lives may be impacted after the accidents. Either it be a fire or car accident, or just having an unknown disease abruptly show. Every call I go on I focus on the task at hand, but now it seems after all of it's over sitting in the back of the ambulance or fire truck on my way back. Nothing more than a crackle of the radio back to dispatch and my co workers talking, I've started thinking more about that person's well being after my part has been played. Their stories, are something that is real in peoples lives...and a possible outcome of how they deal with a traumatic incident. I can honestly say it makes me worry about how they will come to terms with what has happened and how their lives will be effected by that seemingly small moment, that will leave an everlasting impression in their lives. To the developers that may be reading this, Thank you.
"1st platoon! It's 4:05 in the morning, wut chall still doin in your bunks? HALF RIGHT, FACE!"
Frozeir

Post by Frozeir »

This game gave me a lot of emptiness and dread because it was a story of close and interesting relationships, the former I don't have and the latter I'm not sure is possible with those I know. It actually angered me because, me being largely a recluse, being alone was fine and it didn't bother me, but after playing this game a sadness overwhelmed me. Transforming being alone into being lonely. At first my only way of getting away from it was actually playing it more, almost like feeling sleepy from oversleeping so you oversleep some more. This resulted in me completing the paths very quickly.

This feeling has largely subsided from me, and I am the way I was before, perfectly content, though now perhaps I wouldn't mind getting closer to others. In fact the first time in a while I may be hanging out with some friends this weekend (or next weekend, not sure). Whether Katawa Shoujo is responsible for this I do not know.
Sometimes it feels better to know that you are not a unique snowflake. Thanks for putting those to words.
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

I've been pretty moody and sensitive the last week or so. But then I've always been prone to that sort of thing. I suspect I'll obsess over KS for a couple of months until the feels wear off, then just carry on with my life. Any lasting changes? Who knows?

But like Jay said above, I think when I hear of an accident or tragedy, especially if there are children involved, its going to give me a lot more to think about, re how thats going to effect them in the long term emotionally.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Banryu

Post by Banryu »

...at first, I felt like I might have... But here a few weeks later, I'm still being somewhat insensitive and not very understanding with my own girlfriend, despite my resolve and attempts to change that. I guess it just goes to show that change is hard. I really do feel like I've learned something... Sometimes it's hard to say exactly what, though.
Holy shit how do I practically have 50 posts already
Goddammit KS stop consuming my life
I mean it
CaptPonyholder

Post by CaptPonyholder »

I am still a Katawa Shoujo baby. I only just found the "game" and still have Shizune and Rin routes to complete.

However, the game has opened my eyes. I felt like I was sleeping before... almost... sorta... not really. Anyways what I am TRYING to get at is that I had absolutely NO drive and NO determination to do anything. Guess who changed that? Emi and Hanako. Emi gave me the determination I needed and the determination I am trying to find. I am not doing anything "for" the character as she is just that, a character in a story. I am not trying to find these types of people in real life. I am just trying to find purpose, like Hanako. I was coddled growing up, much like Lilly coddled Hanako. While my parents weren't burned, nor myself, I was still raised in an alcoholic family full of issues. Screaming Father's, broken bottles, living in a tiny hovel for 4 years. I am learning to branch out more, talking to more people, like Hanako has done. She has shown me that if a character like that can find the drive to continue and grow, then why the hell can't I? If someone like Emi can find the determination to exercise and live life to the fullest, what damned reason do I have for not doing the same?

Thanks to this game, I am becoming more sociable. I am finding the determination and drive to complete my goals of being at 170 and going to Japan next year for studying abroad.

So far, it has changed me. Mind you, I am still a shallow bastard and refuse to date overweight females, but hell. I can't change who I am physically attracted to.
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

I'll drink to your success, friend.

For myself, Hanako drove the "no white knight" idea into my head. Now, trying to be the backup calvary instead of being the one who charges in without knowing wth is going on. Luckily, I haven't dated anyone. I'm positive I would have burnt them quite badly.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Big ups Captpony. Here's wishing you success, you deserve it.

Its been over a week since I've started playing, and I think the game has made me a more thoughtful person overall. I've tried to be more courteous both in RL and online. I've also been thinking and mulling over emotions, and trying harder to understand why people do and feel the way they do.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.