The Hypothetical Sequel

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

The Hypothetical Sequel

Post by Oddball »

Yes yes. We all know the devs have stated they aren't making another KS game, bu that's no reasons we can't talk about one.

So, if there was a KS-2, what you like to see? A game that takes place during the same timeframe? Maybe one with a female lead instead?

Personally, if there was a sequel, I'd prefer to have ti set several years afterwards. Maybe have Hisao working as the teacher, Hanako as the new librarian or something to that affect.
Last edited by Oddball on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not Dead Yet
Kitsune Spirit

Re: The Hypothetical Seuqel

Post by Kitsune Spirit »

As I mentioned in the other thread, I'd really like it to be a girl protagonist... even if it doesnt have any yuri in it, it would be interesting to see the male side of the cast... even a joke Kenji route could be hilarious. Taming the Shrew sorta thing. lol
pandaphil

Thoughts on a sequel

Post by pandaphil »

I know we're never going to see a KS2, but c'mon tell me just about everyone on this board wouldn't kill for another visit to Yamaku HS? No reason we can't dream, right?

But really, if there were a sequel, they'd have to bring in a new lead player character and do a whole new storyline. At most, do arcs for Miki, Yuuko, Misha, or even Kenji, while the original crew might make brief cameos.

Alternately, perhaps have a female lead, or do same sex arc's.

Any thoughts?
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
RagnasEdge

Post by RagnasEdge »

I've never seen a VN that allowed you to choose whether you want a female or male protagonist/main character in the start. Although, that would probably mean that the team would effectively have to make the entire game twice, so I see why they only make it female or male.
Kenji's been held back for a seemingly really long time when I first heard of his age in the game. You'd think that eventually he'd wisen up, and actually try to graduate one year. Maybe a route for him, could actually be you pushing Kenji for success, and he actually graduates from school.
Seeing old characters from the previous game would be pretty good, so long as its practical. I can see Emi being this really tough coach, that allows no slackers or something. Shizune would likely be some sort of planner, or representative of the school. (She can't really be principal, because the student council pretty much runs the school.)
It sounds pretty fitting, and I can see a lot of it in my head. Hisao would make a great teacher, and I'd wonder how his heart would be treating him all those years later. (That's if he actually survived that long without dying from a heart attack.)
"Screw math. It's boring as hell." - Miki
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

Love your idea of a comic Kenji arc Kitsune. It would make for such a nice break when the feels from the other stories got to be too much.

Yeah, setting the game in the future with Hisao as a new teacher would be fun. Or, just have it feature a student who's storyline is going on at the same time as Hisao and the gang. Mostly though, I'd love to see arcs featuring Miki and Yuuko. I really liked them as characters and would love to get to know them better.

Choosing a male/female option at the beginning would be an interesting programming problem, that's for sure. Most of it would be easy, just changing your name, and gender specific references in the text. They'd really only have to duplicate a few key dramatic scenes, the cutscene art, and of course the sex scenes.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant." ~ The Doctor.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

A sequel would be pointless. These characters finished their stories. What would the new PC (player character) do? Just repeat Hisao's bit of hooking up with Yamaku students? Sequels exist as continuations of previous events and there's simply nothing to continue here.

That said, it's hypothetical, so fuck it. Make it less a sequel, more a spinoff. Kenji's the PC and it's all about getting his delusional paranoid ass back to sanity. :P Or, more fitting to a sequel, just go completely off the rails with it: Assume Kenji's end is the canon finale to KS and the sequel puts you in the shoes of some previously-unmentioned student who suspects foul play. Then it's a murder mystery VN. :mrgreen:

I've attempted to make such things just for fun but I'm not an artist so I never got far. xD
Last edited by Xanatos on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Kitsune Spirit

Post by Kitsune Spirit »

Sequels are only pointless if they are rehashing the same thing or are just poorly written. You can write new stories and characters without them being redoes of Hisao and the other girls.
Eraser35

Post by Eraser35 »

theres Corpse Party 2 and it has no relation to the first game other than the Corpse Party name and yes I'm aware of Book of Shadows but its not Corpse Party 2, so maybe there can be a KS2 with the only link being Yamaku
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Eraser35 wrote:theres Corpse Party 2 and it has no relation to the first game other than the Corpse Party name
So it follows Final Fantasy rules. Meh...Acceptable.

@Kitsune: Not true. They can also be pointless if there's no reason or purpose for the sequel beyond fanservice, which is what a KS sequel would be. :lol:

Anyway. Murder mystery after the manly picnic. Make it happen, universe. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Kitsune Spirit

Post by Kitsune Spirit »

Xanatos, I think you are just being contrary for the sake of argument. >.> So you're telling me that theres no point to another KS game because theres no possible way to tell another story in Yamaku without it being "more of the same"?

That could be said for just about every single fantasy/scifi series in existence. Good vs evil, humans vs genocidal aliens, hobbits vs lunch... young anikin skywalker sounding eerily like his son (from ESB) in episode 3. lol
Enceladeans

Post by Enceladeans »

There's a reason why they're never going to do a sequel. There's just no good way to do it. The way I see it you have the following options.

1. Focus on life for Hisao and his girl of choice after high school. The first problem with this is it'd probably mean establishing a canon path, which would be...upsetting, to say the least. It'd also ruin the closure of KS' good ends. There was something assuring about them to me, something that said, while there'd always be problems along the way, in the end everything would be OK. There's not much point in showing what we already know.

2. A spin-off where not-Hisao dates their choice of not-the-main-girls. Maybe it focuses on minor characters (Kenji, Miki, Suzu, etc.), or maybe it's an entirely new cast with Yamaku itself being the only thing tying it to KS. The problem with this is that now the connection to KS is only tangential. If you're not going to have the cast that made KS so appealing in the first place, you might as well scrap the idea of it being part of KS altogether and make it a spiritual sequel.

A spiritual sequel to KS could work. An actual sequel wouldn't. Speaking of which, what happened to Mentaru Shoujo?
pandaphil

Post by pandaphil »

That's a thought. It doesn't even have to be a romance game necessarily. A long time ago I played a game called "Graduation" where you played a teacher guiding his female students through the school year, helping them with their problems, making sure they kept their grades up, keeping them out of trouble ("Rei dear, you really shouldn't be working as a cocktail waitress after school."), etc. And yes, there was an option of having a romance with a student if you got their relationship score high enough.

Maybe something like that?
Last edited by pandaphil on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kitsune Spirit

Post by Kitsune Spirit »

This thread wasnt started because we are trying to push for a sequel, or drum up support or whatever, we are just talking - or trying to - about what we would like to see in a sequel/spinoff of KS.

I think the naysayers are taking "offense" at the use of the world sequel, when I think spinoff would be the proper term. I don't really think any of us want "more of the same" (either for real, or just in our wishes), but different stories of other students in the game, new ones or the side characters that never got developed.

In other words, this is just out hypothetical musings and daydreams.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

pandaphil wrote:That's a thought. It doesn't even have to be a romance game necessarily. A long time ago I played a game called "Graduation" where you played a teacher guiding his female students through the school year, helping them with their problems, making sure they keep their grades up, keeping them out of trouble, etc. Maybe something like that?
That could be interesting to see. Especially if the teacher were Kenji. :lol: Hisao's the obvious choice, yeah, but...It's Kenji. xD (Unrelated to that bit: Any sequel would have to include a funeral scene for Othello. Just because.)

@Enceladeans: Basically my thoughts exactly. Also Mentaru Shoujo was retitled Missing Stars and the forum is here.

@Kitsune Spirit: I gave my opinion on the possibility of a sequel then moved on to ideas for a hypothetical one, as per the topic. Everyone else decided to leech onto my opinion like it was a personal offense and go off the topic. This naysayer is not at fault. :P
Last edited by Xanatos on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

pandaphil wrote:That's a thought. It doesn't even have to be a romance game necessarily. A long time ago I played a game called "Graduation" where you played a teacher guiding his female students through the school year, helping them with their problems, making sure they keep their grades up, keeping them out of trouble, etc. Maybe something like that?
Which would be a good role for an older Hisao. :D
Not Dead Yet