Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

CaptPonyholder

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by CaptPonyholder »

Walrusfella wrote:
CaptPonyholder wrote:Well, it has been about... 3? 4? hours since I beat Emi's story 100% and I can't stop thinking about it. While it hasn't depressed me as much as "To The Moon" has yet, it is still depressing. Not for the characters or the message. Just that it is over. I loved that character and her story is now just... over. Will they all be like this? I hope not T~T I don't think I could take it!

Anyways, I am going to start:
Emi's Couch to 5k Challenge
Emi's 100 Pushups Challenge

On Monday, hopefully I can stick with it. I plan to do it every Mon, Wednesday, Friday. I might do weekends, unsure about it so far though. I want to enjoy running and I want to try out for my College's Cross Country team, maybe next year. Who knows, I might be in the Cross-Country Team when I am in Japan XD I would most likely get my butt kicked their though!
Awesome! Going for the team will be great motivation to keep training. You really don't need special clothes to run, though I'd buy running shoes (on sale if possible, pay no heed to how they look) if you can. Decent shoes help prevent injury.

Your drive to improve yourself shines through. Your goals are all admirable, but there might be too many of them to keep to all at once. I've found that willpower/motivation is a limited resource that can be spread too thin. I certainly don't mean to tell you your business, but I worry that there might be something of a "hangover" once you take in how difficult all of that is. Perhaps it might help to narrow the list down a bit and add goals back on once you've accomplished one or two.
Espionage724 wrote:I want to also study Japanese too, really need to get some kind of motivation for this though... I have all the material needed to basically just start studying it, but never actually get to it. I'll either play Dota 2 for some hours, surf the internet, or find some other random task to keep me occupied for a good while, it's kind of annoying :/ If anything though, I do have Japanese TV set-up to just stream to a dedicated HTPC nearby (usually on TBS), so at least I'm getting some exposure to it :)
I've been studying Japanese for 4 months now; another of my KS sparked self-improvement things. :) I've found it a beautiful and fascinating language, though utterly alien. I have been taking lessons in a small class with a proper teacher. I was lucky enough to have a good one locally with fair rates. I think that is probably the best way to learn it. I would find it almost impossible on my own. Since it's a means of communication you'd be learning, having other people around to practice it on would be invaluable. Your motivation would be much easier to come by.

I do realize this might not be an option for you; not every town has a Japanese teacher, apart from other considerations, but that is the way I've been learning and I recommend it.

CaptPonyholder, studying that would also tie in nicely to your "meet new people" goal. :)
Completesky wrote:Does anyone still use fitocracy?

https://www.fitocracy.com/profile/completesky/

Here's mine.
Yep! I've lapsed with my entries while I was sick a couple of weeks ago, but I'll be starting again. Ook and some of the others are on there too. Mine's here if you like. I've taken the liberty of following you.
Yea, I know I have a lot of goals. To me, however, it all sort of feels like a domino effect.

I need to practice Japanese and its lettering to go to Japan.
To go to Japan, I want to be 180/170 lbs.
To lose that weight, I need to start exercising.
To start Exercising, I need to cut back on fatty foods and soda.
Once I start Exercising I will feel better.
Once I feel better, my grades and knowledge (mentality) will improve.
Once my Mentality improves, I will learn better, learning Japanese faster.

Then again, I feel like Rin/Kenji at points with my thinking (at least Rin from Emi's point of view, still haven't played her route).
nginx

Post by nginx »

So, I'm finally back on the track - holidays abroad kept me from running, just started w5 again.
Nice to see you guys are also still trying your best.

These f*ing stitches were killing me again today, I couldn't run the full 21 minutes.
I guess eating a bit earlier (not after 9pm...) on the previous evening should prevent this, right?

Maybe it's also because there's snow on the track again. Running in the snow gets you tired much faster.
DownRUpLYBStart

Post by DownRUpLYBStart »

Well I failed in 2012. 3 Weeks in, couldn't keep it together and my mile rate time is probably 1 hour by now.

Time to re-start it again, I am on new medication to keep myself on track... I dunno I find running boring for some reason. So I took up basketball or w/e but its not more casual thing. I figure to start the running thing again, because I know emi will kick my ass with her bionic legs...

Is there any reason to use fitrocracy over the other 1000 exercise sites out there?
CaptPonyholder

Post by CaptPonyholder »

DownRUpLYBStart wrote:Well I failed in 2012. 3 Weeks in, couldn't keep it together and my mile rate time is probably 1 hour by now.

Time to re-start it again, I am on new medication to keep myself on track... I dunno I find running boring for some reason. So I took up basketball or w/e but its not more casual thing. I figure to start the running thing again, because I know emi will kick my ass with her bionic legs...

Is there any reason to use fitrocracy over the other 1000 exercise sites out there?
If you enjoy MMO's or RPG's in general, it will make you feel like your playing a game, of sorts. You can do quests (which are just exercises), that level you up and make you stronger. So it is a real-world questing structure that gives real world results.

Also, try listening to an Audiobook, Music, or a Podcast when running/jogging. That helps me quite a bit. Also run when you are pissed/sad/angry/etc. It will keep your mind off things and allow you to focus more clearly, at least I think it should. I don't start my running until monday.
Serjongo

Post by Serjongo »

Yeah, hey there, I`m new :D

I actually registered right after I finished the game, but I spent all of my time on the forums reading and stuff. I was afraid the forums would be dead, and I actually kept checking on them like every hour or so to be sure that the community is active, because when I finished it, I was afraid that I`d be late for the party, and so I`d be alone to discuss the epicness of this game (atleast on an emotional level).

So yeah, finished the game (Only Emi`s route so far - good ending) like 3 months ago, and it really got me motivated to start running.
At first, it was reaaaally tough, like, 3 minutes in and my heart-rate would go through the roof.

But now, a couple months later,I`m proud to say that after all this training (specifically with the running schedules you guys posted) I managed, yesterday, to run for 15km straight.
That was a really crazy thing to even try, like, my schedule wasn`t as consistent as I would like it to be, so it probably wasn`t that good an idea to just push the distance to the extreme and see what happens, but it just worked. :D

I`m still all euphoric about it, and I have exclusively this game (Katawa Shoujo, duh) to thank. Further more, in addition to getting me into this jogging thing in the first place, it also encouraged me to actually go out and start exercising which I do regularly now.

I`m glad, I`m glad I gave this game a chance after reading it up on Kotaku, despite my general hatred for all things anime (which is no more, by the way :D ).

Yes, I honestly feel like this game made me a better person in general (both physically and mentally). I`m not sure I can even explain why or how.. After I finished it, instead of feeling emptiness of sorts or willingness to go through it right away on another path, I just felt this "enlightenment" about life in general, which made me stop being a lazy bum, and start working on stuff. These days,Working on stuff I do, and milestones I achieve (like this 15k for example :D ).

Also, it really got me interested in the japanese language, which I plan on start learning once I finish German. So it`s great, if you guys are familiar with any resources that`ll be able to help with the japanese, that`ll be grand.
So, to everyone who kept assuring me that video-games are but a waste of time, here's to you.

It also might not be the appropriate thread for this post, but since it all started with jogging, I figured it`ll fit.
Thank you 4LS, thank you for proving once again that the best things in life, are indeed free. And thank you, the community, for keeping me motivated with all those schedules, tips, discussions and everything, I`m really excited to join the community :D

Sorry for bombarding with a block of text and all. See you guys around, that`s an awesome community the game managed to gather. I`ll be off to start one of the other routes now. :mrgreen:

Edit:

Almost forgot, if you guys are familiar with any other VN`s that are as good (or almost as), that`d be awesome :D
I got "A drug that makes you dream" or something of the sort, didn`t try it yet though. =O
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

Serjongo wrote:Almost forgot, if you guys are familiar with any other VN`s that are as good (or almost as), that`d be awesome :D
I got "A drug that makes you dream" or something of the sort, didn`t try it yet though. =O
There's a thread all about VNs here: http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3178
It's pretty huge
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Serjongo wrote:I got "A drug that makes you dream" or something of the sort, didn`t try it yet though. =O
That one...Gets pretty fucking weird. :lol: But yeah, check out the VN thread here. I'll suggest Little Busters as usual.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
DownRUpLYBStart

Post by DownRUpLYBStart »

Serjongo wrote:Yeah, hey there, I`m new :D
Sorry for bombarding with a block of text and all. See you guys around, that`s an awesome community the game managed to gather. I`ll be off to start one of the other routes now. :mrgreen:
Do Hanako's last....

I joined that site, as for the 5k plan, I reverted back to week 1, just to get my body used to it again... It is cold as hell down here (25, yeah you east coasters can now make fun), so I am caught in an internal struggle between warm toasty bed and running through Winterfell... LOL
CaptPonyholder

Post by CaptPonyholder »

DownRUpLYBStart wrote:
Do Hanako's last....

I joined that site, as for the 5k plan, I reverted back to week 1, just to get my body used to it again... It is cold as hell down here (25, yeah you east coasters can now make fun), so I am caught in an internal struggle between warm toasty bed and running through Winterfell... LOL
Hey, at least Winterfell is well taken care of! Up here at The Wall, we can barely run and we have some of the highest mortality rates for joggers. They keep slipping off the top and leaving a giant red smear on the ice. Damned fools -_-
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Does anyone here have experience with straight-up liquid or "juicing" diets?

I watched a documentary about it (Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead) and the concept intrigued me greatly. It led me to getting a juicer myself, though I didn't plan on doing the "full-on" juicing diet the guys in the movie did.

The big things that concern me are, 1) I don't have a physician right now since I only work part-time. I can't afford one outside of work and they don't offer me health coverage as a part-time employee, so I couldn't "consult a physician" before taking a step towards a major diet change like this. And 2) the guys in the movie lost weight -extremely- quickly, which leads me to believe there are other risks such as possible health issues and, of course, loose skin.

I have plateaued pretty hard on my weight loss - I've been hovering around the same weight zone give or take a few pounds for quite a while now. I know there are better choices I could make concerning my diet, but I've been -pretty- strictly watching caloric intake, increasing vegetable and fruit intake, and drinking a ton of water for a long time now... I don't feel like my weight should be stuck in the place it's stuck at.

Would a "drastic" measure like a liquid juicing diet be a decent step to take? Even if it was more or less temporary, like maybe a week "detox" or something? Any advice on this would be most appreciated...
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Double post ahoy!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I passed another milestone, albeit kind of a small one. I jogged for a 1/2 mile straight last night. Took 6 min 50 secs, including a 30 second warm-up walk, and I jogged at 4.5 mph the whole way. Not a terribly impressive time or speed, I know, but for a dude whose 100+ lbs. overweight I suppose I could do worse. :)
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

CaptPonyholder wrote:Yea, I know I have a lot of goals. To me, however, it all sort of feels like a domino effect.

I need to practice Japanese and its lettering to go to Japan.
To go to Japan, I want to be 180/170 lbs.
To lose that weight, I need to start exercising.
To start Exercising, I need to cut back on fatty foods and soda.
Once I start Exercising I will feel better.
Once I feel better, my grades and knowledge (mentality) will improve.
Once my Mentality improves, I will learn better, learning Japanese faster.

Then again, I feel like Rin/Kenji at points with my thinking (at least Rin from Emi's point of view, still haven't played her route).
It sounds like you have a plan and know what you're doing. It's good that all of those goals interlock and lead somewhere. Good luck to you, and do her proud!

I actually registered right after I finished the game, but I spent all of my time on the forums reading and stuff. I was afraid the forums would be dead, and I actually kept checking on them like every hour or so to be sure that the community is active, because when I finished it, I was afraid that I`d be late for the party, and so I`d be alone to discuss the epicness of this game (atleast on an emotional level).

So yeah, finished the game (Only Emi`s route so far - good ending) like 3 months ago, and it really got me motivated to start running.
At first, it was reaaaally tough, like, 3 minutes in and my heart-rate would go through the roof.

But now, a couple months later,I`m proud to say that after all this training (specifically with the running schedules you guys posted) I managed, yesterday, to run for 15km straight.
That was a really crazy thing to even try, like, my schedule wasn`t as consistent as I would like it to be, so it probably wasn`t that good an idea to just push the distance to the extreme and see what happens, but it just worked. :D

I`m still all euphoric about it, and I have exclusively this game (Katawa Shoujo, duh) to thank. Further more, in addition to getting me into this jogging thing in the first place, it also encouraged me to actually go out and start exercising which I do regularly now.
Hi! Welcome, it's a pleasure to meet you. This game had the exact same effect on so many of us, which is really cool considering that it was not the developer's intent at all.

Congratulations on reaching 15km! That's really remarkable - you must have been built for running. It took me 8 or 9 months of consistent, scheduled work to get there myself (I am not built for running at all). You have to keep it up, since you were obviously destined to run. :)

Private message inbound for the other questions.
Gandara wrote:Double post ahoy!

Just wanted to let you guys know that I passed another milestone, albeit kind of a small one. I jogged for a 1/2 mile straight last night. Took 6 min 50 secs, including a 30 second warm-up walk, and I jogged at 4.5 mph the whole way. Not a terribly impressive time or speed, I know, but for a dude whose 100+ lbs. overweight I suppose I could do worse.
Right on! Congratulations. :) You're definitely on your way with running. You'll steadily hit longer distances at quicker speeds, your lungs will get more efficient, and your heart will calm down sooner afterward. Keep at it, a full mile won't be that far off.

I passed something of a milestone myself yesterday as well. I took the application fitness test for a uniformed Crown agency/institution. I had failed this test a couple of times in my early twenties. This time I absolutely shredded it. I was the fastest man in my group for the endurance portion, and many of them were much younger. I also passed the strength portions, but it was harder than it should have been and it made me realize I have to start lifting weights more seriously; I can't just get by on just running. Turns out this Emi inspiration had a practical use! :)
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Lintaro

Post by Lintaro »

Hullo guys!

I've discovered these forums right after I discovered Katawa Shoujo, which was a week ago. I've completed the paths of Rin, Hanako and Emi in that order, and guess what, Emi's path had been the one that inspired me the most. Please allow me to tell you a bit about my background. I'm a pretty lazy guy; I don't do much sports and currently I'm pretty overweight, weighing 90 kilograms. This wasn't always the case. Just last summer I weighed 70 kilos... I've been no stranger with getting fat and losing weight: when I was a kid I was pretty overweight too, and I've always solved it by jogging and running. At one time I managed to lose 10 kilos in a month!

However, everytime that things go well, the evil strike of laziness ruins it all. Jogging sessions became monotonous and, since I had nobody to jog with other than my dog, I eventually stopped jogging altogether. This cycle went on and on for years: I'd gain weight, be conscious of my health, jog, lose weight and then get bored. I really no see an end to this problem... until I discovered Katawa Shoujo.

Playing Katawa Shoujo taught me 2 things: one, Hisao is a lucky bastard for having friends like that, and two, that you should strive for your goals without ever giving up, even if something (in this case, their disabilities) impedes you. Emi's route has been the most enjoyable (and it's not just because of the lemon scene, though, I admit I somewhat enjoyed it), heart-warming and inspirational one so far. So, taking all of this into account AND coupled with the fact that I found this thread, I decided to give morning jogs another chance.

My routine is more or less similar to the one you posted, and besides striving for being able to jog longer each week, I've also set the humble target of losing at least 1 kilogram a week. I've started this morning and can't wait to do it again tomorrow.

I hope you guys can support me and I'll be checking out this thread daily to see how other people progress and support them as well!

Cheers.
completesky

Post by completesky »

DownRUpLYBStart wrote:Is there any reason to use fitrocracy over the other 1000 exercise sites out there?
I'm not sure if any other fitness site has a KS group (although it's been pretty dead recently).
Walrusfella wrote:I passed something of a milestone myself yesterday as well. I took the application fitness test for a uniformed Crown agency/institution. I had failed this test a couple of times in my early twenties. This time I absolutely shredded it. I was the fastest man in my group for the endurance portion, and many of them were much younger. I also passed the strength portions, but it was harder than it should have been and it made me realize I have to start lifting weights more seriously; I can't just get by on just running. Turns out this Emi inspiration had a practical use! :)
Congrats dude! Which strength programme are you starting on?
Emi's Couch to 5K - Done
Emi's Couch to 10K - Done
100 Push-Up Challenge - Pending
Lloonnee2

del

Post by Lloonnee2 »

del
Last edited by Lloonnee2 on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.