Good Manwa suggestion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Antor

Good Manwa suggestion

Post by Antor »

I've been lurking around here for a few weeks now, and after playing KS I can say my perception of disability is changed quite a bit.
That's why today I picked up reading something I may have not considered reading before, the web based manwa (korean comics) called "can't see can't hear but love".

I think this will interest many of you who played KS and liked it enough to take the time and sign up here; if somebody happens to read it I would love to exchange some comments on it!
I made just one error with KS, I played the good endings first... now I'm recovering the feels from the first bad one.
Can't see Can't Hear But love discussion topic (Manwa on disability and love)
waiting for Con Amore a WIP visual novel, a tale of love and music
Kutagh

Re: Good Manwa suggestion

Post by Kutagh »

As it happens, I am reading it too (or rather, waiting for new chapters to air).
A bit lighter, more romantic, is Kingyo Sou.
Antor

Post by Antor »

oh thanks god something lighter, I'm midway through CSCHBL and I'm on the verge of tears... T_T
I'm gonna look at your suggestion too :D thanks! when I catch up with the manwa I'll post some impression!
I made just one error with KS, I played the good endings first... now I'm recovering the feels from the first bad one.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Just a reminder that we don't want "generic" anime/manga threads here. These are topical, so far. Carry on.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

I have serious trouble liking Sori as a character. I mean, sure, she's lovable and adorable, but she seems too nice a person to exist*. Many of the other characters are caricatures performing rather overblown comedy, as well.
As a result, the whole thing feels rather run-of-the-mill to me. It manages to elicit a few :) s and :( s, but nothing to write home about.

*Excluding the smacking people around, but that seems to be a major staple of Korean manhwa**.

**I know it's an extremely bad idea to use comics as a gateway to a foreign country's culture, but going by those, I'd have to name Korea "the land of perennially angry, brawling people". Let's not get into what I'd name Japan.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Kutagh

Post by Kutagh »

Silentcook wrote:**I know it's an extremely bad idea to use comics as a gateway to a foreign country's culture, but going by those, I'd have to name Korea "the land of perennially angry, brawling people". Let's not get into what I'd name Japan.
Can you imagine how they must think about us in the West when they read our comics and such... >.<

And as for the topic:
Jouzetsuna Yubi is an one-shot but involves a homosexual relationship between a deaf and hearing guy, the underlying story being a bit about how to deal with the Deafness.

If you use Mangaupdates categories and search for a specific category, like Deafness, you can find more easily manga involving certain disabilities.
Antor

Post by Antor »

After catching up with the currently translated chapters of the manwa I've to say that I like it, the comedy element is there to serve the function of a "story break" (well that's my impression at least) but is largely marginal to what really stands out in this manwa.
The grafical rendition of the disability:
- the scenes where in the blackness you can see only what's making a sound (like when he gets an haircut)
- when he's suddenly left alone and the scenario around him gradually fade to black when he looses his sense of position? pure gold.
- and on other side; whole scenes where there's no dialog, only images, so that you can get a visual impression of what's happening around Sori and then you get to listen to what's being said and the meaning of the whole scene change drastically.

All in all I think the story is quite interesting and I've been really touched by some part of it, definitely gonna read more!