Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

A Forum Member

Re: Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

Post by A Forum Member »

I've read that many people thought Rin's path was exceptionally good and now that I have played through it as my second path I can say that for me it wasn't. I didn't find her particularly interesting, her being indifferent all the time quickly became annoying.

I never grew nearly as attached to her as I did with Emi. Even though the path has some quite "feelsy" moments, they didn't really give me as much feels as I think they should. But this is probably because of what I mentioned earlier and also because I don't think KS has the same magic the second time when I'm actively searching for feels. But I will admit that the good end felt much better than Emi's good end. But it was way too easy to end up with a bad ending.

The reasons I have given are pretty much entirely subjective, it's probably a great path if you manage to get more attached to Rin.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

A Forum Member wrote:I'm actively searching for feels.
That's a terrible idea and you should feel terrible. Never go into anything actively searching for something. Ever. You will be disappointed. :P
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
A Forum Member

Post by A Forum Member »

Xanatos wrote:
That's a terrible idea and you should feel terrible. Never go into anything actively searching for something. Ever. You will be disappointed. :P
Yes, those are words of truth. But I did feel a small man tear in my eye during at least one scene, so not a complete failure. I'll try my best not to expect anything when I go into Hanako's path next.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

A Forum Member wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Yes, those are words of truth. But I did feel a small man tear in my eye during at least one scene, so not a complete failure. I'll try my best not to expect anything when I go into Hanako's path next.
I expect a good story because I already know it is one. If feels come again (and they will), great. If not, maybe I'm playing too often.

A good story will impact you without active searching or expectations. I teared up reading Firestarter for the first time. I also got severely pissed off when the story called for it. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Dullfinn

Post by Dullfinn »

A Forum Member wrote:I never grew nearly as attached to her as I did with Emi.
While I think you should definitely check out the other routes too, they might leave you disappointed. At least, that's how it was for me. Really liked Emi, and Rin was somewhat interesting. But the rest didn't do the trick anymore. I feel that sometimes high expectations will ruin the experience (be it movies, games, etc) while not expecting much can still deliver a lot.
A Forum Member

Post by A Forum Member »

Dullfinn wrote:
A Forum Member wrote:I never grew nearly as attached to her as I did with Emi.
While I think you should definitely check out the other routes too, they might leave you disappointed. At least, that's how it was for me. Really liked Emi, and Rin was somewhat interesting. But the rest didn't do the trick anymore. I feel that sometimes high expectations will ruin the experience (be it movies, games, etc) while not expecting much can still deliver a lot.
By bashing the other routes you have helped me lower my expectations, thanks.
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

Lilly's route should get you, as in it gets most. A lot of people really like Hanako's. Shizune's is good for what it is, but hers is another case of usually not providing what people look for.

Wait, you didn't like Rin's path?

2deep4u :lol:

But really, her path is different (fittingly). Even I, loving her as I do, recognize I didn't get as many romantic feels for her as I did for Lilly. Though that is okay with me because me personally can really appreciate a relationship not like that. Someone who is looking for romance will undoubtedly feel nothing to little for Rin, potentially, as in your case, get quite annoyed even. This I can relate with actually, back when I dated girls, I was ALLLL about the possessiveness, the loving devotion, etc. I once dated a girl very indifferent, who defined relationships as friends with benefits. Needless to say, I never even made it far enough to get such benefits because I got annoyed and bored since she wasn't reciprocating one of the few things I wanted, that romance.That isn't Rin of course, not at all, I can just understand that feeling you have because of this experience. My heart feels strongly and is very capable of such romantic tendencies, hence the place in my heart for Lilly despite Rin.

Anyways, playing through her path (I am doing so now again, only now finally going through her non-good endings), her neutrality doesn't annoy so much as it did in that instance. It is the most fascinating and respectable thing about her, she is kind of like a Taoist monk. She is a blank canvas that is painted only by the present moment. Although her desires are little, she still does desire, but it is for what is in the present. Whatever is on the canvas is fine. That shallowness as she describes it, that ability to be empty like the Tao, is quite literally the ultimate way of living well. She says she doesn't know who she is, though she doesn't want to destroy herself. That is because she associates her identity with that shapelessness. Her fear, in my view, is that with romantic devotion for Hisao, or pleasing others with her art, will eradicate that peace by establishing obstructing rocks (permanent, demanding roles) in her constantly flowing river of the present. It also helps she has a sense of humor that makes me laugh, and although she isn't portrayed as very pretty and beautiful, I like her looks.
paxslayer

Post by paxslayer »

Xanatos wrote:That's a terrible idea and you should feel terrible. Never go into anything actively searching for something. Ever. You will be disappointed. :P
Xanatos wrote:I expect a good story because I already know it is one.
Paths: Lilly, Shizune(partial), Rin
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

He's talking about exploring something new. Katawa Shoujo is something already known to him.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Denouement wrote:He's talking about exploring something new. Katawa Shoujo is something already known to him.
Exactly.
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

Uuuuuuugh I just did the other endings for Rin, new un-found feels, and not good ones. :( It was interesting to see the one though, because it provided new scenes and a little more insight into her character, so I guess I'm glad I did. It also played out different than I expected, what with Rin actually wanting to go become an artist. My only issue with that is that the reasoning is depressing, and makes me think of the story about the artist who distanced himself and committed suicide, which makes that worse. *shivers*

Time to look at the good ending to counteract it! (And to provide the feeling that the fictitious character is somehow suspended in the good ending since I did it last :lol: :lol: :lol: )
paxslayer

Post by paxslayer »

Xanatos wrote:
Denouement wrote:He's talking about exploring something new. Katawa Shoujo is something already known to him.
Exactly.
Then don't use absolutes! *waggles finger*

What you said implied that you knew best for every possible situation and there were no alternatives.
Paths: Lilly, Shizune(partial), Rin
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

paxslayer wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Exactly.
Then don't use absolutes! *waggles finger*

What you said implied that you knew best for every possible situation and there were no alternatives.
...No it didn't. It implied I knew KS was a good story, which I do. :P

@Denouement: Rin didn't want to go become an artist. That's why it's the bad (well, "neutral") end. She just didn't see any other options.
Dream

Post by Dream »

I don't know... While Rin certainly wasn't going at the gallery deal for the best of reasons, and she uses her art as a method for expression, i would say that her as an artist is one of the "true" parts of her and one of the things she identifies with.

I think it's much like Emi... Sure, somewhere around Act 3, you learn that her cheerfulness is a facade a lot of the time, but the cheerfully, decided, bold and energetic runner is as much of the "real" Emi as the other parts of her Hisao eventually knows.

I think Rin feels an honest connection/inclination towards art, but during a lot of the route, she was going at it (and about it) for the wrong reasons.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Dream wrote:I don't know... While Rin certainly wasn't going at the gallery deal for the best of reasons, and she uses her art as a method for expression, i would say that her as an artist is one of the "true" parts of her and one of the things she identifies with.

I think it's much like Emi... Sure, somewhere around Act 3, you learn that her cheerfulness is a facade a lot of the time, but the cheerfully, decided, bold and energetic runner is as much of the "real" Emi as the other parts of her Hisao eventually knows.

I think Rin feels an honest connection/inclination towards art, but during a lot of the route, she was going at it (and about it) for the wrong reasons.
Oh, of course she has a connection to it. She enjoys art. But she enjoys it for its own sake. Making a career out of it (and thus forcing her to produce it to keep said career afloat rather than at her own pace and whim, as well as everyone and their artsy hipster grandma demanding meaning from it) doesn't strike me as something that would make her content.