question about Rin and Lilly

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Sanjiyan

question about Rin and Lilly

Post by Sanjiyan »

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but it seems a little unfair (if not somewhat inconsistent) that Rin doesn't have arm prosthesis though the technology on them is as good as leg ones. It's at least enough for someone to pick up a shirt or a paintbrush. If it's because Rin chooses not to use them, then it should be specified somewhere.

Also, just as a personal thing, I would like to see a scene where Lilly is touching the main character's face, like many blind people do to get a sense of what others look like. It could be a sweet scene that helps Lilly's path out a bit, since after playing through KS I found that her scenario isn't quite as charming as the others.

Lastly, personally I would like to see Misha take less of a role. She's in so many scenes with Shizune that Misha feels to be a main character (and thus all this demand for her to be written in, which I would love at this point too). However, Misha completely overrides Shizune imo so more scenes where Shizune communicates using notes would help her out more, much like how a deaf-mute irl would do majority of the time.
Onisake

Re: question about Rin and Lilly

Post by Onisake »

Sanjiyan wrote:I'm sure it's been brought up before, but it seems a little unfair (if not somewhat inconsistent) that Rin doesn't have arm prosthesis though the technology on them is as good as leg ones. It's at least enough for someone to pick up a shirt or a paintbrush. If it's because Rin chooses not to use them, then it should be specified somewhere.
I have no idea where you got the info that arm prosthesis are as good as leg prosthesis, but that's incredibly wrong. It also depends on where the 'cut' is on the legs. below the knee prosthesis are very good, because it doesn't need to be complicated. above the knee prosthesis are considerably less versatile.

Arm prosthesis are, at best, mediocre. Yes, some people can pick up object, but these are large, bulky, robotic arms. the sensors rely on the muscle movements of the shoulder. They aren't reliable AT ALL. they do allow the person to have a little more independence, however. Most arm prosthesis i see are there so people don't stare. not needed for Rin because she's at a cripple school.

i'm speculating, but it looks like rin's cut is between her shoulder and elbow on both sides. meaning an arm prosthesis would require a working elbow, wrist, and appendages. If you've ever made a robotic arm, you know how difficult that can be. In addition, how would the arm know what to do? 'leading technology' is in computer-brain interfaces. basically they install an electrode in your brain, and calibrate your brain signals to move the arm. however, the accuracy for moving a mouse pointer after 4 months of calibration, is barely 50%. That's with just a mouse pointer, let alone moving a robotic arm.

So yeah..rin remains armless.

Sanjiyan wrote: Also, just as a personal thing, I would like to see a scene where Lilly is touching the main character's face, like many blind people do to get a sense of what others look like. It could be a sweet scene that helps Lilly's path out a bit, since after playing through KS I found that her scenario isn't quite as charming as the others.
me too. Or even better, the main character can bring Lilly's hand to his face, as a sort of 'here, look at me' thing. could be touching during an h-scene, lilly seems like she might get embarrassed easy. So Hisao could help ease her embarrassment by letting her touch him. just a thought.
Sanjiyan wrote:Lastly, personally I would like to see Misha take less of a role. She's in so many scenes with Shizune that Misha feels to be a main character (and thus all this demand for her to be written in, which I would love at this point too). However, Misha completely overrides Shizune imo so more scenes where Shizune communicates using notes would help her out more, much like how a deaf-mute irl would do majority of the time.
I really want to bang Misha. Now that that's out of the way: I like the shiz-misha relationship. shiz would be lonely without misha, i think we'd end up with two hermits if misha was removed. While shiz is outgoing, she has no voice. Misha provides that. She's an integral part of the story. I would be disapointed and heartbroken if Misha did not appear again, or played a small roll in the shiz path. Hisao mentions several times that he should consider learning sign. It would be awkward if he didn't, so i expect misha to play a smaller and smaller roll as the path progresses. never-the-less, i'll enjoy her presence while it remains.
------------
edits for spelling. how the hell did i type long instead of wrong....
Sanjiyan

Post by Sanjiyan »

Maybe you're right, though I still think arm prosthesis is decent enough to warrant addressing in the game. I mean, Emi could also be wheelchair bound or walking on her hands, but that wouldn't be very appealing. It almost seems as if Rin wasn't given plastic arms so they could write in the tampon scene. Also, most armless people do more with their mouth than their feet. I think it's more common for them to write with their mouth at least.

I like Misha too, however it was really confusing trying to figure out when she's talking and when Shizune's talking. As Misao said, it almost feels like a split personality, only that it's MIsha that has the split personality and Shizune never really existed. I'm not saying to write Misha out, but give Shizune more solo scenes would be good, similar to what happened at the end of Act 1 when Misha was asleep.

Heck, Misha can be the person that teaches Hisao the sign language, which will then diverge into a Misha path or a Shizune path. That's almost perfect.

Lastly, there has been many inconsistencies in style and even amount written between the different paths. I hope there's a dedicated chief editor that will go over everything and adjust the script so every path seems consistent.
Spoon

Post by Spoon »

I think I remember seeing a program on TV about a guy who was born with no arms. While he was in school, they tried giving him prosthetics, but they sucked and he preferred to just use his legs. So yeah. It's probably just that your own legs > a pair of fake arms.

Oh yeah, and the face-thing with Lilly would name me HNNNNGGGGH.
"Sometimes I sit for hours weighing the fine distinctions between spunk, pluck, balls, nerve, chutzpah, gall, and moxie."
Onisake

Post by Onisake »

Sanjiyan wrote:Maybe you're right, though I still think arm prosthesis is decent enough to warrant addressing in the game. I mean, Emi could also be wheelchair bound or walking on her hands, but that wouldn't be very appealing. It almost seems as if Rin wasn't given plastic arms so they could write in the tampon scene. Also, most armless people do more with their mouth than their feet. I think it's more common for them to write with their mouth at least.

I'm mortified you would even think of a person pulling out a tampon with their mouth. ew. on many levels. Also, that question would have come up on the forum at some point if they hadn't included that scene. Saves some of us the trouble of wondering how she solves that issue. she gets help. that makes sense.

As i mentioned earlier, Emi has below the knee injuries. the prosthetics for below the knee are very good. if it were above the knee, she would likely be wheel chair bound. Someone suggested adding another char, a girl with one leg, above the knee, scarred face, and generally looked like she got hit by a train, and then fell off a bridge, into burning wreckage. her injury is above the knee, therefore she is wheel chair bound. it really depends on the state of the injury. emi is lucky, that's really not the right word, that her injuries are below the knee.

It wouldn't fit Rin's personality imho to write with her mouth. or paint with her mouth. We are 'related' genetically to monkeys and apes, who use their feet in a very similar fashion to their hands. Heck, i often pick stuff up with my feet all the time. It makes more sense to me for her to use her feet instead of her mouth. besides, it's way more sanitary. people's hands are germ ridden like you wouldn't believe. if she dropper her pen, and i'm sure it woudl happen often, someone would probably be nice enough to pick it up for her. or she'd have to pick it up with her feet, and then put it back in her mouth...if we throw the tampon into the mix. 'oops, i dropped my pen, that person picked it up, oh crap, it got my period blood on it. now that person is touching my period blood.'

i don't know a lot about completely armless people. I've read some studies on new devices for prosthetics before, and most of the patients are only missing one limb. missing both is pretty rare. And most are a result of a traumatic injury. I get the feeling Rin was born without her arms. as she naturally uses her feet, as opposed to her mouth.
Sanjiyan wrote:I like Misha too, however it was really confusing trying to figure out when she's talking and when Shizune's talking. As Misao said, it almost feels like a split personality, only that it's MIsha that has the split personality and Shizune never really existed. I'm not saying to write Misha out, but give Shizune more solo scenes would be good, similar to what happened at the end of Act 1 when Misha was asleep.

Heck, Misha can be the person that teaches Hisao the sign language, which will then diverge into a Misha path or a Shizune path. That's almost perfect.

Lastly, there has been many inconsistencies in style and even amount written between the different paths. I hope there's a dedicated chief editor that will go over everything and adjust the script so every path seems consistent.

The wiki says there is a different writer for each path. I didn't notice the difference in writing styles. but i'm not an english major, i'm a biomedical engineer. i'm surprised i can type in complete sentences.
spoon wrote:Oh yeah, and the face-thing with Lilly would name me HNNNNGGGGH.
lolwut? how would Lilly touching your face name you "HNNNNGGGGH." Or are you speaking in some metaphor that escapes me? D=
Sanjiyan

Post by Sanjiyan »

Well I meant that with just a plastic arm, Rin would have some way to deal with her period problem. I also tend to think they would use pads instead of tampons.
But whatever, I'm complaining for the sake of complaining. True, it isn't far-fetched for Rin to just get help from Emi.

And no, Rin using her mouth for everything would be disgusting. You're right. Since she is already written with feet being her main way of coping (it's more interesting than mouth at least), then she shall stay that way. Though the main reason we can do so many things is because of our opposible thumb. We can't do that with our feet, but to a degree we can do it with our mouth, which make holding small objects easy even if unsanitary.

I am aware they have different path writers. Just curious if they have a senior/chief editor or QA to make sure everything flows properly and all characters get the same attention. I mean, they have screening/training for the artists to match styles, but I don't know if they have the same process for their writers.
Spoon

Post by Spoon »

It's from /a/. Basically, the joke goes that Hisao has a heart attack when he sees/experiences cute things, and HNNNNNGGH is the sound that he makes.
"Sometimes I sit for hours weighing the fine distinctions between spunk, pluck, balls, nerve, chutzpah, gall, and moxie."
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

FUCK YEAH, ALL OF THEM TOGETHER!!!

...but why post this?
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
Sanjiyan

Post by Sanjiyan »

Because Onisake didn't know whaHHNNNNNNGGGGGG...
Onisake

Post by Onisake »

That made my day. =D thanks.
Sanjiyan wrote:Well I meant that with just a plastic arm, Rin would have some way to deal with her period problem. I also tend to think they would use pads instead of tampons.
But whatever, I'm complaining for the sake of complaining. True, it isn't far-fetched for Rin to just get help from Emi.

most girls i know prefer tampons. doesn't feel like you're wearing a diaper, so i'm told. also less likely to get blood on panties. so i'm told. There are also those weird re-usable plastic cup things. which are more environmentally friendly. so i'm told.

Also, the arm wouldn't be very accurate. she'd risk 'damaging the goods' so to speak. also, there's no real way, aside from her mouth and a chord, to articulate her fingers to grab the string. it would require a robotic arm, that's a pretty complicated motion. just plastic wouldn't cut it. plastic arms basically just hang there, so a lot of people won't notice the fact you're missing arms. that's all they are really for. She also has to wipe. another complicated motion. would take her like half an hour by herself, at best.
Sanjiyan wrote: And no, Rin using her mouth for everything would be disgusting. You're right. Since she is already written with feet being her main way of coping (it's more interesting than mouth at least), then she shall stay that way. Though the main reason we can do so many things is because of our opposible thumb. We can't do that with our feet, but to a degree we can do it with our mouth, which make holding small objects easy even if unsanitary.
Yay for thumbs! =D
-------------------
edit: Forgot follow up motion @Q@
janz

Post by janz »

Think about T-bag, think about Rin. Now, think about T-bag again, then think about Rin. No want.
Simplified Chinese Progress - good
U.T. Raptor

Post by U.T. Raptor »

Rin has never had arms (unlike Emi, who had legs for most, or at least some, of her life), so she wouldn't know what to do with prosthetic ones in the first place.
abscess

Post by abscess »

I lol'd at that pic. Who's the author? Probably skipped that info, sorry if I did. I liked Rin and Hanako's the most. Just damned.... well, cute.
Siiiiigh....
Sanjiyan

Post by Sanjiyan »

Pimmy made those 4koma, you can find the original (all 5 separately) in the fan art section of the forums.