Lilly's Angry Moment

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

2nddimension

Lilly's Angry Moment

Post by 2nddimension »

Hey everyone, first time posting!

I was just wondering what your thoughts on Lilly's (<3) brief moment of anger when Kenji accidentally pulls her to the ground. Normally I wouldn't read much into this, but with the way it was handled, I felt like you were MEANT to read something into it. Do you guys think this was just a result of Lilly anticipating her (potential) departure for Scotland or something else?

Cheers,
2nd :D
Megumeru

Re: Lilly's Angry Moment

Post by Megumeru »

Been busy, haven't post in awhile.

But let's see...

Lilly bursting into anger in that scene is a 'nod' to her flaw as a seemingly perfect 'Yamato Nadeshiko' who is commonly portrayed throughout her route (and Hanako) as this gentle, loving, and caring girl. This is the general impression and perception of Hisao (and the readers) about Lilly. She isn't one to burst into anger...or is she?

It's not just because the Scotland-thing with her, it's also a nod at the reader/Hisao. If you're as surprised as Hisao seeing her burst into anger after being tripped then congratulations:
You barely know about your partner (Lilly) and only based your judgment on what she wants you to see. There's more to a character than what they seem to be, and her sudden outburst is a part of her character--could she be angry about being tripped? Maybe. About her dishonest self? Possibly. About her decision to leave Hisao? Probably.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Fiandra

Post by Fiandra »

She's pregnant and she's afraid that might hurt the unborn baby :lol: :mrgreen:
@Ygdrasel wrote:All's fair in poop and war.
-Insert favorite KS girls here-
teh twitter
teh steem
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Fiandra wrote:She's pregnant and she's afraid that might hurt the unborn baby :lol: :mrgreen:
Although I agree completely with Megumeru, I must say your explanation is also very possible. Write a fanfic, please. :lol:
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Fiandra wrote:She's pregnant and she's afraid that might hurt the unborn baby :lol: :mrgreen:
Although I agree completely with Megumeru, I must say your explanation is also very possible. Write a fanfic, please. :lol:
I forget, didn't it at one point in her route mention Lilly was on birth control? Specifically the blindfolding scene?
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Steinherz wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:
I forget, didn't it at one point in her route mention Lilly was on birth control? Specifically the blindfolding scene?
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Steinherz wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:
She does mention it. Right after Akira tells them to always use protection. She says she wasn't going to leave these things up to Hisao to handle.
Not Dead Yet
2nddimension

Post by 2nddimension »

Megumeru wrote:Been busy, haven't post in awhile.

But let's see...

Lilly bursting into anger in that scene is a 'nod' to her flaw as a seemingly perfect 'Yamato Nadeshiko' who is commonly portrayed throughout her route (and Hanako) as this gentle, loving, and caring girl. This is the general impression and perception of Hisao (and the readers) about Lilly. She isn't one to burst into anger...or is she?

It's not just because the Scotland-thing with her, it's also a nod at the reader/Hisao. If you're as surprised as Hisao seeing her burst into anger after being tripped then congratulations:
You barely know about your partner (Lilly) and only based your judgment on what she wants you to see. There's more to a character than what they seem to be, and her sudden outburst is a part of her character--could she be angry about being tripped? Maybe. About her dishonest self? Possibly. About her decision to leave Hisao? Probably.
That's a satisfactory answer, thanks!
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Oddball wrote:
Steinherz wrote:I forget, didn't it at one point in her route mention Lilly was on birth control? Specifically the blindfolding scene?
She does mention it. Right after Akira tells them to always use protection. She says she wasn't going to leave these things up to Hisao to handle.
Yes, and there are implications of this line:
For example she had to have started being on birth control since before she left for Scotland...
As for that being the reason for her behaviour - even if her measures did fail, this would probably be too early for her to know about it.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
inquisitivenegro

Post by inquisitivenegro »

You guys are missing the whole point that scene isn't about Lilly's character development or anything even close to that. Instead its meant to invoke feelings of pity and sympathy in the viewer towards Kenji and brings to light his secret ostracisation by all the students in Yamaku High, a dark and hideous sub-plot which during the events of the visual novel is of course overshadowed by the more extravagant romance between Hisao and the girls
$50 says I live more South than all of you
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Well, women take birth control pills for plenty of reasons asides from the obvious. I think we can give Lilly the benefit of the doubt in that regard, seeing as one has to use it for a certain period of time before it becomes effective.

Unless Lilly's plot was to trap Hisao into wedlock so that he'd have to go to Scotland with her.

As for Lilly's angry moment, well, she does seem to put a lot of effort into being both physically and emotionally independent. I just think being jostled around like that compromised her on both fronts. She was fully aware that she had put herself into a stupid situation, and probably had no idea how to go about handling it.

To be completely honest, the most notable aspect of the scene was the glimpse of Kenji's soft side we got.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
SemisoftCheese

Post by SemisoftCheese »

Mahorfeus wrote: To be completely honest, the most notable aspect of the scene was the glimpse of Kenji's soft side we got.
Yeah, I think it as a reader/player you could realize that while Lily's nature was gracious, there were moments where she stumbled, removing her layer of perfection. Thus, her outburst is just a part of the buildup to the climax of the plot with Hisao.

I liked it more for the Kenji part, absolutely right Mahorfeus.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

As Mahorfeus mentioned, Lilly was aware she was in a no-win situation where, no matter what she'd do, someone she cared about was going to get hurt.

Lilly's parents want her to move. Lilly's been raised in a traditional Japanese way that says: "a good daughter obeys her parents without question". And Akira will be going there. But Lilly herself doesn't really want to go there. Unlike Akira she has no career-based motive. She's pretty happy with her life in Japan. Until her first trip to Scotland, she had her career path and future well planned out. And she has Hisao and Hanako. In Scotland, all she has is a family from whom she's been largely estranged and a sister whom she loves dearly, but who seems to want little to do with the rest of her family. Lilly's torn between her sense of duty towards her family and her life in Japan which she doesn't want to lose. She also has a boyfriend here now to whom she didn't plan to confess, but in the stress of the moment, it slipped out and now she can't take it back without hurting him. The conflict is tearing her apart, but Lilly being Lilly, she tries to deal with it by herself even though she has no clue as to what to do and keeping her proper lady facade up under this kind of pressure takes every bit of energy she has. (to state that Lilly doesn't function well under stress is an understatement) She's pretty much at the point where the only thing left to do is pray for some kind of miracle. When Kenji accidentally trips her up, that's the straw that breaks the camel's back and her facade breaks for just a moment. It's not so much Kenji's action, it was all the other pressure she was under.

The whole point was to indicate that Lilly was DEEPLY troubled by something...more troubled than anything she's faced so far even though she tried to keep a brave face.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
2nddimension

Post by 2nddimension »

Guest Poster wrote:As Mahorfeus mentioned, Lilly was aware she was in a no-win situation where, no matter what she'd do, someone she cared about was going to get hurt.

Lilly's parents want her to move. Lilly's been raised in a traditional Japanese way that says: "a good daughter obeys her parents without question". And Akira will be going there. But Lilly herself doesn't really want to go there. Unlike Akira she has no career-based motive. She's pretty happy with her life in Japan. Until her first trip to Scotland, she had her career path and future well planned out. And she has Hisao and Hanako. In Scotland, all she has is a family from whom she's been largely estranged and a sister whom she loves dearly, but who seems to want little to do with the rest of her family. Lilly's torn between her sense of duty towards her family and her life in Japan which she doesn't want to lose. She also has a boyfriend here now to whom she didn't plan to confess, but in the stress of the moment, it slipped out and now she can't take it back without hurting him. The conflict is tearing her apart, but Lilly being Lilly, she tries to deal with it by herself even though she has no clue as to what to do and keeping her proper lady facade up under this kind of pressure takes every bit of energy she has. (to state that Lilly doesn't function well under stress is an understatement) She's pretty much at the point where the only thing left to do is pray for some kind of miracle. When Kenji accidentally trips her up, that's the straw that breaks the camel's back and her facade breaks for just a moment. It's not so much Kenji's action, it was all the other pressure she was under.

The whole point was to indicate that Lilly was DEEPLY troubled by something...more troubled than anything she's faced so far even though she tried to keep a brave face.
This was basically my thoughts on the matter. Well put!
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Guest Poster wrote:As Mahorfeus mentioned, Lilly was aware she was in a no-win situation where, no matter what she'd do, someone she cared about was going to get hurt.

And this is why the Lilly route is the best in the game.

I love Hanako as much as the other guy, but Lilly's route was pretty damn well written, and she's an amazing character.
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.