Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Mash0

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Mash0 »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
Shadowyeclipse wrote: Alright, I'll check out Muv-Luv next, because why the hell not?

Although I really did enjoy the F/SN series, I doubt Muv Luv will be able to beat it right now.
Prepare to be pleasently surprised then. There is a reason Alternative ranks first on VNDB and both first and second on EroGameScape.

Be sure to do it in the order of Extra > Unlimited > Alternative. You just have to do the Sumika and Meiya routes in Extra to unlock Unlimited and any route in Unlimited to understand Alternative.
I'll better check it out Muv-Luv
IMO
You can visit visual novel database for all VN info
For game in japanase language u can try with help ITH + ATLAS translator
Try searching google for software
There are ton VN out in japan language monthly
but international VN like KS still much better

I currently play Otoboku and Kud Wafter JP (with help of trnsltor)
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Mash0 wrote:
Nobody in Particular wrote:
Shadowyeclipse wrote: Alright, I'll check out Muv-Luv next, because why the hell not?

Although I really did enjoy the F/SN series, I doubt Muv Luv will be able to beat it right now.
Prepare to be pleasently surprised then. There is a reason Alternative ranks first on VNDB and both first and second on EroGameScape.

Be sure to do it in the order of Extra > Unlimited > Alternative. You just have to do the Sumika and Meiya routes in Extra to unlock Unlimited and any route in Unlimited to understand Alternative.
I'll better check it out Muv-Luv
IMO
You can visit visual novel database for all VN info
For game in japanase language u can try with help ITH + ATLAS translator
Try searching google for software
There are ton VN out in japan language monthly
but international VN like KS still much better

I currently play Otoboku and Kud Wafter JP (with help of trnsltor)
The Muv-Luv trilogy have already been fully translated. Otoboku has already been fully translated too.
Mash0

Post by Mash0 »

Oh yes aside from Visual novel database, is there any other site that we can see what current, latest, recommended VN..?
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Well, you can definitely find plenty of Good recommendations of VN's in this post if you are willing to look through about 62 pages worth of posts filled with spoilers here and there.

Btw I recommend Hatoful Boyfriend because
1) its unique
2) Comedy Gold
3) "awesome love scenes"

http://vndb.org/v7836
Sweetfrost

Post by Sweetfrost »

I'm sure someone has already recommended Clannad, but I can't be bothered checking all 61 pages and I'm sure most people wont either. So I'll recommend it! I'm reading Clannad right now, it's very good even thou it dosen't give me the same feel as KS. But I can't imagine that any VN will.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Sweetfrost wrote:I'm sure someone has already recommended Clannad, but I can't be bothered checking all 61 pages and I'm sure most people wont either. So I'll recommend it! I'm reading Clannad right now, it's very good even thou it dosen't give me the same feel as KS. But I can't imagine that any VN will.
LOL get ready to be hit by a truck, then a train, and then by an airplane in Clannad. Its the very definition of feels in Afterstory.
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Since we're on the topic of Clannad, does it actually improve later on? I started it today but after a few hours of playing I quickly lost interest and decided to start Sengoku Rance instead. So should I give it another shot or just avoid it completely?
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Nobody in Particular wrote:Since we're on the topic of Clannad, does it actually improve later on? I started it today but after a few hours of playing I quickly lost interest and decided to start Sengoku Rance instead. So should I give it another shot or just avoid it completely?
Well, iirc it's overall tone stays pretty much the same throughout the first ~90% of the novel, which is the multitude of different heroine routes, all of which you need to complete to get After Story(the true route), except for being significantly more serious near the ends of routes. So I'd say give it another shot, try completing 1 route, simply because it's tons of fun once you get into it. And if you finish a route and for some reason you see that you aren't enjoying it at all, that most likely won't change for most of the VN, and it's a hell of a long one.
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Lethallettuce

Post by Lethallettuce »

What exactly is Clannad? How does it stack up to Katawa Shoujo? From what I've seen of it - which isn't much - it seems like it has Japanese voice acting over the text, is there a way to turn that off?
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Lethallettuce wrote:What exactly is Clannad? How does it stack up to Katawa Shoujo? From what I've seen of it - which isn't much - it seems like it has Japanese voice acting over the text, is there a way to turn that off?
Just like any other Japanese VN, you're only going to have Japanese voice acting. You can turn voice acting off. But I'd say that takes quite a bit away. Even if you can't understand Japanese, voice acting can convey emotions, mood etc way better than text can.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

If you think Clannad is too long, you should play Kanon instead. The routes are much shorter. ;)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

OtakuNinja wrote:If you think Clannad is too long, you should play Kanon instead. The routes are much shorter. ;)
But the art is terrible. It's not like Clannad has very good art either, but Kanon is borderline hideous.
UGH... -_-
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

acewing905 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote:If you think Clannad is too long, you should play Kanon instead. The routes are much shorter. ;)
But the art is terrible. It's not like Clannad has very good art either, but Kanon is borderline hideous.
[PICTURE OF MAI WAIFU]
UGH... -_-
I don't think the art is terrible. :( Remember it was made in 1998/1999. You can't compare it to stuff made today ;)
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

OtakuNinja wrote: I don't think the art is terrible. :( Remember it was made in 1998/1999. You can't compare it to stuff made today ;)
It's not the age that's the problem. It's just that Hinoue Itaru can't draw faces for shit. This is quite obvious from Little Busters, where NA-GA's designs are a lot more pleasant compared to Hinoue's designs.
She's improved a lot by Rewrite, but remnants of her wide, high mouthed designs are still visible on her characters' faces.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

I recommend Amagami SS. It's only for PS2, though. If you can't get hold the game, you should at least watch the anime.
You will cry. You will scream in joy. But most of all, you will laugh. Laugh 'til your lungs are hurting. Laugh at the insanely funny "pre-sex scenes". Seriously, I have never laughed so much because of an anime. Especially an anime I consider B-class. It's hilarious. :lol:
The anime is in omnibus format and the routes lasts about 4 episodes, from what I've seen so far.

acewing905 wrote:
OtakuNinja wrote: I don't think the art is terrible. :( Remember it was made in 1998/1999. You can't compare it to stuff made today ;)
It's not the age that's the problem. It's just that Hinoue Itaru can't draw faces for shit. This is quite obvious from Little Busters, where NA-GA's designs are a lot more pleasant compared to Hinoue's designs.
She's improved a lot by Rewrite, but remnants of her wide, high mouthed designs are still visible on her characters' faces.
Well, I'll continue to love the art no matter what you say. ;) Just for curiosity, what characters are you talking about in LB? :)