Game of the Year?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

yummines

Re: Game of the Year?

Post by yummines »

well, it probably deserves it as much as The Walking Dead
considering The Walking Dead you get the same effect of just watching the gameplay on Youtube
I'll be honest though I don't really own any games that were released this year, unless you count the Artorias of the Abyss DLC for Dark Souls.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

newnar wrote:KS is way over the level of GOTY that giving it GOTY title would be degrading. I will never submit to acknowledging KS as a mere game. It should be given Experience of the Year instead.
But that title goes to Journey...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Journey would be my #1 overhyped game of the year, actually. Yes it was really cool, but it was still way overhyped. Everyone sells it as Ambrosia, but it was ultimately "just" good.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Carighan wrote:Journey would be my #1 overhyped game of the year, actually. Yes it was really cool, but it was still way overhyped. Everyone sells it as Ambrosia, but it was ultimately "just" good.
Of course it's an overhyped game. Mostly because it isn't really a game. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
Akros

Post by Akros »

Isn't actually a year since KS was actually released now?
GOTY? Please...
That's only for those super hyped macho games that are year after year the same thing
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Akros wrote:That's only for those super hyped macho games that are year after year the same thing
Except when it isn't.
Akros

Post by Akros »

Xanatos wrote:
Akros wrote:That's only for those super hyped macho games that are year after year the same thing
Except when it isn't.
Haven't seen that lately...
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Akros wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Except when it isn't.
Haven't seen that lately...
2012 The Walking Dead
2011 The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
2010 Red Dead Redemption
2009 Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
2008 Grand Theft Auto IV
2007 BioShock
2006 The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
2005 Resident Evil 4
2004 Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
2003 Madden NFL 2004

Hype aside, none of these titles come off as especially macho...
Murlox

Post by Murlox »

You can't really compare KS to a traditional game. KS is mostly just clicking through a bunch of text while images are being shown and music is being played. And occasionally you make a choice which determines the direction of the story. KS is a wonderful thing, but it doesn't have much in terms of game mechanics.
lazyboy0337

Post by lazyboy0337 »

Better win some late Indie GOTY awards or I'm going to be mad.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

lazyboy0337 wrote:Better win some late Indie GOTY awards or I'm going to be mad.
It's not going to win any GOTY because it isn't a game.
lazyboy0337

Post by lazyboy0337 »

Xanatos wrote:
lazyboy0337 wrote:Better win some late Indie GOTY awards or I'm going to be mad.
Why is it not a game?
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

lazyboy0337 wrote:
Xanatos wrote:
Why is it not a game?
Because it's an experience.
No, but the reason why it isn't a game is because a Visual Novel is exactly that. It's a novel that has pictures and is semi-interactive. (I'm in a Game Design course and one of my instructors specifically explained how a VN is not a Video Game, but it was far too long for me to remember properly)
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
lazyboy0337

Post by lazyboy0337 »

Steinherz wrote: Because it's an experience.
No, but the reason why it isn't a game is because a Visual Novel is exactly that. It's a novel that has pictures and is semi-interactive. (I'm in a Game Design course and one of my instructors specifically explained how a VN is not a Video Game, but it was far too long for me to remember properly)
Meh, I'm not here to argue so I'll leave it at that.
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Carighan wrote:Journey would be my #1 overhyped game of the year, actually. Yes it was really cool, but it was still way overhyped. Everyone sells it as Ambrosia, but it was ultimately "just" good.
Wouldn't you save that distinction for a game that was overhyped, sold well, but sucked? Assassin's Creed III, Halo 4, Black Ops 2, Medal of Honor: Warfighter, and Hitman: Absolution were all either mediocre or shit.

Anyway i actually am writing a list of my games of the year but Katawa Shoujo will be appearing on a different awards list. My games of the year are:

#5: Far Cry 3

#4: The Witcher 2: Assassin's of Kings

#3: Dishonored

#2: Spec Ops: The Line

Game of the Year: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

The list Katawa Shoujo will appear on will be NOT Games, since i list things as games or not games, and that list isn't limited to things released this year but things i tried this year. It is...

#5: Kitchen Confidential

#4: Kodomo no Jikan

#3: Django Unchained

#2: John Carpenter's The Thing

#1: Katawa Shoujo

Incidentally my five worse games....

#5: Assassin's Creed III (Ungodly boring and way too damn easy, plus the conclusion was horribly rushed)

#4: Halo 4 (Boring game, a lot of problems with the publicity tied to it)

#3: Resident Evil 6 (You never know what the fuck is going on)

#2: Lunar: Dragon Song (You can't control your characters)

#1: Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor (The Kinect just needs to die)
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.