Katawa Aniki (KS Rewrite) (18+ Occasionally) [Updated 10/30]

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Disonomous

Re: Katawa Aniki (KS Rewrite) (18+ Occasionally) [Updated 11

Post by Disonomous »

Enjoy it I did, I really liked the music choices for the last part of the chess game and the Equivalent Exchange scene.
Popo

Post by Popo »

Thanks. (Just gonna spoiler this part, since they're minor spoilers for those who haven't read the scene yet.) For the former, I wanted something subtle, suiting not only the scene, but how I see Chess as a noble game, whether played between two high school students, or two kings of olden times. For the latter, the softspoken, gentle sorrow called to me as reflecting Hanako's spirit and struggle. I'd say just about equal thought goes into the music selection as the actual writing gets. Sometimes, instead of finding music to fit a scene, music inspires me to create a scene to accommodate the song. I like that, as I think it helps the music choice feel like a natural fit, and it supplies much inspiration.

One of the things that drove my style of using music in my writing was movies; I love 'em, but there's so many kinda ambient and/or background scores, while I like music tied with a story to really pop. Gives off more of an emotional impact, to me. Like classic Mario tunes...even though the story in most Mario games is utterly barebones, the whimsical music shapes that world. For a more appropriate example, Hanako's theme, Painful History, is a track I probably would have just thought was pretty sad if I listened to it standalone, but with it so tied to her character and aptly named for what it signifies, it can twist a knife into my heart, at times.

A good song can mingle with the emotions presented in a scene, making the song forever remind you of it. I actually took a lot of the music used in KA from an earlier project I worked on, the Conception project. It was a heavily Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne-influenced work, pitting my main character against the combined forces of Hell, with only the ragtag misfits he could gather as his aid. Obviously a very different kind of story, but it dealt with things like isolation, various psychological issues, breakdown, and the will to live, among other things, making some of the songs I didn't get to use repurpose easily into KA's structure, with new scenes written around them. That project has stalled, and I don't know if I'll ever finish it. It was an ambitious project; it was gonna be a whole series.

At any rate, I updated the About the Music document with just a small paragraph at the end. Those statements also hold true for the project we plan to start after KA.
Last edited by Popo on Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every day is a miracle.
YourFavAnon

Post by YourFavAnon »

I haven't commented on this series before, but I have been following it since the beginning. Here's my personal opinion:

I love it. As soon as I got over the odd formatting and kind of transfer of perspectives, I've enjoyed it immensely. I generally dislike OC fictions for KS; particularly because people try to go over the top on the disabilities, making the person a perfect storm just to become a massive mess of issues. You guys have done a good job of keeping the conflicts on point and not straying too far away from them. Keep up the good work.
I write things occasionally.

Dumps of my 35+ fics can be found here and here (including some non-KS stuff).
Dippeggs

Post by Dippeggs »

YourFavAnon wrote:I haven't commented on this series before, but I have been following it since the beginning. Here's my personal opinion:

I love it. As soon as I got over the odd formatting and kind of transfer of perspectives, I've enjoyed it immensely. I generally dislike OC fictions for KS; particularly because people try to go over the top on the disabilities, making the person a perfect storm just to become a massive mess of issues. You guys have done a good job of keeping the conflicts on point and not straying too far away from them. Keep up the good work.
I completely agree with Anon here. You guys are doing a fantastic job.

Also, since the last chapter was all about Junichi I'm guessing the next one will be more about Kano?
Popo

Post by Popo »

YourFavAnon wrote:I haven't commented on this series before, but I have been following it since the beginning. Here's my personal opinion:

We're glad you've enjoyed it. Some stories do various things with switching perspectives, from Animorphs to Shakespeare. We went for our own style, one that worked organically with KA. Switching scenarios and who gets focused helps to keep things fresh, and sometimes, more than one character gets "main" narrative at the same time, which can outline things like misunderstandings and differences in philosophy. it also serves as a contrast; characters who don't get much internal narrative maintain an air of mystery.

Yeah, we put a lot of thought into that. We know full well about a huge pile of things people tend to typically dislike or even hate, that comes up a lot in fanfiction. I've also spent a lot of time on TV Tropes, and have learned which tropes are particularly groan-worthy, haha. Though, of course, any trope can be played with for a twist. Anyhow...since we were going for a realistic feel, much like KS had, we figured Junichi having the same disability as another character was just an element of life, and Miki could bond with him a little, over it. Kind of like how a person might have two friends that are both named John, or Ashley. Case in point, there's two students in class with the last name Hayashi, the other being a background character in the class photo that never gets mentioned again in KS, lol. Back to the point, though, is that two people having the same physical conditions doesn't mean they'll be anything alike, in their minds and even with the issues they deal with.

As for Kano...we examined things as a sliding scale of ability. For instance, Lilly could technically be "more disabled" than Hanako, yet in practice, Lilly's confidence, social prowess, grace under pressure, and other positive attributes make her easily more able to handle everyday life than Hanako can, whose abilities are not physically impaired. Heck, even comparing Shizune to Misha, one with no disabilities whatsoever, Shizune could arguably come out on top for being so very sharp, intelligent, cunning, and fiercely determined. A person with drastic shortcomings would either wallow in pity or try to thrive, and the cast of KS/KA have made their choice; they all, whether they know it or not, possess something(s) that they do better than the average non-disabled person, even if that's only in the department of kindness and understanding.

Balancing Kano can be pretty tough, of course. He could arguably have the worst disability out of the group we see, but a person's abilities will always trump their disabilities. His natural resiliency, extreme pain tolerance, and luck at the genetic lottery to have received a somewhat bright mind and some slight insight into the minds of others leaves him about on par with Hanako, in aspects like days spent confined to their rooms, and even surpassing her and Shizune at social skills, though thanks to the people that helped grant him a little confidence. However bad his situation is from his own perspective, he's grown pretty used to it, though he hasn't reached Lilly, Rin, and Shizune's states of never apologizing for, or lamenting over their conditions. Like anyone, sometimes pain can thoroughly muddy a person's mind, especially if it's unceasing.

Every member of the cast has to deal with multiple issues, for obvious reasons; so, too, does Kano, and we haven't seen all of them yet, but know that I will try to keep him balanced as a character. He'll find himself in joyous situations, as well as tragic ones; a balance of peaks and valleys. Whatever he goes through, his ultimate role in the story is not to be pitiable nor impressive, but to show that just about any lowly person can find various changes in their life through sheer perseverance and endurance, and also that terrible things can happen to anyone; to reflect the inherent potential and flaws of mankind, and the mind.
Dippeggs wrote:

I completely agree with Anon here. You guys are doing a fantastic job.

Also, since the last chapter was all about Junichi I'm guessing the next one will be more about Kano?
Thank you for your kind words.

I'm not terribly surprised someone guessed it, but yes. Of course, we'll see who may or may not show up, in addition.
Every day is a miracle.
DietKane

Post by DietKane »

Dippeggs wrote:
YourFavAnon wrote:Also, since the last chapter was all about Junichi I'm guessing the next one will be more about Kano?
Sorry, next episode is a Kate episode.
L O S T
I co-write a KS rewrite with my friend Demifiend/Popo. It's called Katawa Aniki
lilly a slut and worst girl
Popo

Post by Popo »

Act 2, Part 17 is now available. The Holidays are a busy time in general, but Katawa Aniki is a part of my process of the giving of thanks, so we hope you enjoy it.
Every day is a miracle.
DietKane

Re: Katawa Aniki (KS Rewrite) (18+ Occasionally) [Updated 12

Post by DietKane »

Hey, we got a new part out! Act 2 Part 18 is now live. (and for realz this time)

This chapter's got a lil' bit of everything in it. Miki even makes a nice appearance! Be sure to let us know what you think of the story so far, or what your thoughts are on the latest chapter.
Popo

Post by Popo »

We now present to you the end of Act 2. Act 2, Part 19 is now available.

It took a little while, chiefly because I've been dealing with acute wisdom teeth pain, along with my forehead having been burning up for over a week. Updates may come a little less frequently as I recover, but I'll try to do what I can without pushing myself too hard. I put off any possible oral surgery and avoided the heavier painkillers until I finished helping Kane complete Act 2; I have a pretty high pain tolerance. This story is my life, and Kane's passion for it is immense, too. This is our holiday present to you guys, and we hope it helps to warm this snowy season.
Last edited by Popo on Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Every day is a miracle.
DietKane

Post by DietKane »

We've reached a whopping 3,000 thread views!

Thanks for sticking around with us. We'll work on getting more parts out soon.
Dippeggs

Post by Dippeggs »

It's always nice to read your stuff. Keep up the good work!
DietKane

Post by DietKane »

Dippeggs wrote:It's always nice to read your stuff. Keep up the good work!
Thanks, always great to see that people are excited for a new chapter. What are your thoughts on the newest release?
Popo

Post by Popo »

Ho, ho, ho! Merry Christmas! We jolly writers present to you, from our workshop, Act 3, Part 1, for your reading pleasure. May it reach you all in rich merriment.
Every day is a miracle.
Disonomous

Post by Disonomous »

I'd say this is a pretty good present.
DietKane

Post by DietKane »

We got crackin' on some more! Enjoy the new years with a new chapter.
Act 3 part 2 is now live.

Hope you enjoy it.