Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Edibility: Debatable

Re: Rin's Path discussion *spoilers*

Post by Edibility: Debatable »

Guest wrote:
Edibility: Debatable wrote:
Helbereth wrote: For me, it was a measure of personal experience coloring my perception. Identifying with Rin, and seeing aspects of myself in her, I was thus enthralled. Having had similar experiences (superficially, of course) back when I was nearing the end of high school, I was very interested in seeing it play through. My personal investment made seeing through to the end a priority, and I was not disappointed.

Conversely, I felt almost no attachment to Emi's tale because I had no similar experience with which I could relate to her plight. Figuring out the ending as early as Act 2, I kept reading to see it through more than out of any personal interest. By the end, I felt rather detached from her story; I'd had no real investment in seeing its outcome.
That's one of the things that confused me. I related with Rin a lot in the same way as many people are talking about, but that didn't seem to have any affect on me :/
Plus, her character seemed a bit simplistic to me overall. Maybe it's just my perspective on it giving me this view, but I could very easily list off her character traits off the top of my head in just a few minutes and there would be nothing more to her character. I mean, those traits are really interesting to me, but more on an intellectual level than emotional, because I wasn't able to care for her character.
More on an intellectual level is right. One of the things I liked most about Rin was she is very individualistic, which is more a trait of a Western relationship; Rin and Hisao both act with more autonomy than any of the other couples, and they treat each other as equal parties in love. In that way I find Rin to be in a way, way more sophisticated. And personally, I could relate to a desire for autonomy, true love, and understanding in a relationship above all the others.
Yeah.
I also partially meant the scenes and topics which were considered by many to be emotional, such as the smoking scene, or Rin's entire subject of "destroying herself". Many people found these emotional, whereas I just found them really interesting/intruiging ways to go about it. I was more intellectually interested in the story than I was emotionally, if that makes any sense, but I think the experience is supposed to be more emotional than anything. Maybe if I cared more for Rin then it would become emotional, but I don't know.
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

Edibility: Debatable wrote:[snip] I also partially meant the scenes and topics which were considered by many to be emotional, such as the smoking scene, or Rin's entire subject of "destroying herself". Many people found these emotional, whereas I just found them really interesting/intruiging ways to go about it. I was more intellectually interested in the story than I was emotionally, if that makes any sense, [snip]
Those, I think, definitely registered on an intellectual level. The parts I found to be emotional had to do with her internal struggle trying to figure out what her own art means; where it comes from. People stricken by inspiration on that kind of level often can't pinpoint the source, and trying to explain it is like trying to describe why clouds are pretty, or why flowers don't burst into flames - you simply can't in a realistic way.

Approaches the relationship with Hisao in much the same way, she doesn't know why, but she's attracted to him for whatever reason, and it frightens her on some level. Constantly questioning his continued pursuit, Rin pushes him away whenever he starts getting close; as though she doesn't trust his intent. However, to me, it always seemed like she was retreating in fear. Denying whatever connection she felt forming because it seemed so alien, she seeks refuge away from everyone, and decides she needs to 'destroy herself'; like hitting a reset button.

There's a heavy intellectual note to it, but there also exists a deep emotional undercurrent.
Great Cthulhu

Post by Great Cthulhu »

In light of all that has been discussed in this thread, I'd like to propose that the central theme of Rin's arc is that of Acceptance. Ron struggles with the demands other people such as Nomiya place upon her and her own fear own change. In the good end, she finally comes to the realization that she can be herself and that nobody else's opinion of her should change how she truly is. Rin and Hisao find a common ground of communication in emotion and a basic understanding acceptance of their ultimately imperfect relationship. There is a lot of imperfection in their lives, but they truly love and accept each other despite all their troubles to both become happy with their relationship.

:D
Also, first post :D
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Rin>Hanako>Shizune>Emi>Lilly
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Great Cthulhu wrote:Also, first post :D
Ia Ia Katawa Fhtagn!

But yeah, that's more or less the theme in every route. Rin's in particular is about understanding (or the lack thereof).
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

Great Cthulhu wrote:In light of all that has been discussed in this thread, I'd like to propose that the central theme of Rin's arc is that of Acceptance. Ron struggles with the demands other people such as Nomiya place upon her and her own fear own change. In the good end, she finally comes to the realization that she can be herself and that nobody else's opinion of her should change how she truly is. Rin and Hisao find a common ground of communication in emotion and a basic understanding acceptance of their ultimately imperfect relationship. There is a lot of imperfection in their lives, but they truly love and accept each other despite all their troubles to both become happy with their relationship.

:D
Also, first post :D
One post and I'm already a a fan of you.
Master_Moridin

Post by Master_Moridin »

I finished this path at about 5 this morning, so not everything hit home for me. What did hit though, and continues to hit is the shear despair Rin's path brought up in me. Her path is one of the darkest and saddest things I've ever seen in a game. It's probably because her situation hits so at home. An inability to express oneself, to be understood. Forever trapped in your own head, never able to make others understand why you do the things you do. But there at the end. Even the end filled me with sadness, but as I think about it(and probably when I replay it later), it really hits me how she did manage to break through, to make Hisao understand, even if just a little, and to feel so content just because she was able to do that. It's a beautiful, and highly disturbing path. Am done rambling now.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

My experience with Rin's path in a nutshell...

It gave me a headache about halfway through onwards, simply trying to understand the girl, I tried real hard to feel the love for her, but it ended up being "just get this done for completion" for most of the way through...

...until near the end. When Rin breaks down, when she's pressing herself into Hisao crying, that's when I felt the love for her. It's always a terrible sight to see a girl cry, and Rin gets the most close in-your-face crying scene out of all the girls. That's the part where you want to hug her, comfort her, and all that.

Although backtracking a little bit, I can sympathize a bit with Hisao coming to her during her breaking down, although the resulting "intimacy" between them felt a little weird. I think my head was still hurting at that point, so I just kind of moved through it.

Personally though, I'd be busy trying to make Hanako smile. So it's up to all you Rinbros to comfort Rin in my place.

Does anyone else think that Rin didn't get the greatest Act 1 introduction? To me, she came off as "that weird girl that's so confusing and almost feels like talking to Kenji." I can almost hear Out of the Loop, lol
Dullfinn

Post by Dullfinn »

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:Does anyone else think that Rin didn't get the greatest Act 1 introduction? To me, she came off as "that weird girl that's so confusing and almost feels like talking to Kenji." I can almost hear Out of the Loop, lol
For me, that was a major bummer - for years (after the demo, before the game came out) I was hoping she really WAS like that! But no... the fun and mysterious Rin only exists there, in Act 1, and also a little bit on Emi's route. (I wonder what was the reason for the "change"? I haven't read the kilometers long ASK! thread, heh.)
Favourite girls: Misha > Emi > Yuuko > Akira > Rin > Shizune > Hanako > Lilly
Favourite boys: Kenji > Nurse > Mutou > Nomiya > Hisao > Hideaki > Jigoro
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I never thought Rin really changed at all. It's just that you're seeing her in a more stressful situation than she was in in Act 1.
Not Dead Yet
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

Same here, she's close to cracking up half the time, so it didn't seem out of character.
The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

For me, that was a major bummer - for years (after the demo, before the game came out) I was hoping she really WAS like that! But no... the fun and mysterious Rin only exists there, in Act 1, and also a little bit on Emi's route. (I wonder what was the reason for the "change"? I haven't read the kilometers long ASK! thread, heh.)
I'm with Oddball. Rin didn't change. That's, in fact, what threw most people off. People expected her to. I've seen a lot of people anticipating Rin being a "Bro". A friend you can hang out with and share things with that most girls wouldn't be interested in talking about and every now and then Rin would make some off-hand (*ahem*) remark (like the problem in your pants line, or the girlish figure line) that makes you laugh. She was Katawa Shoujo's Osaka...an oddball, but a lovable one. And once you'd start dating her, she'd randomly throw out a "I'm bored, let's fuck." and players would experience their ~EPIC~ footjob. I'm not sure if she was number 1 in that "Who'd put out easiest"-poll, but I'm pretty sure she scored above Emi and Lilly. What people expected was that "funny" Rin from Act1 would be able to stop being "funny" once it became inconvenient...that her oddness was a switch she could turn off once things got serious and back on when the plot called for some comic relief. What Rin's route did was deconstruct Rin's off-beat personality and show just how horrifying it can be when a character turns out to be stuck in cloudcuckooland. It did that remarkably well.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

Two interesting things about Rin, one is that I actually do relate to her personality and situation, at least seemingly to other people. I'm probably that "weird dude stuck in cuckoo land" to most other people too. I have trouble getting others to understand me. Yet I didn't feel very much attached to Rin at all.

The second is... Rin probably wouldn't like it if Hisao acted more like me. I'm much too emotional "lovey dovey" for her, she might run in fright lol. Didn't she say "I think I was only afraid of your kindness"? Yeah, people like that confuse me. I guess I'm just too "cliche" and clean cut. I do not fear kindness, I seek it out, I cling to it. I relate to the girl I would feel the most attraction and desire for. That's why I'm a Hanabro. :lol: When Rin smiles, I kinda just laugh to myself a bit. When Hanako smiles, I feel like I've suddenly done one of the greatest things of my life. It's obvious to see whose smile I cherish most.
Dullfinn

Post by Dullfinn »

Guest Poster wrote:I've seen a lot of people anticipating Rin being a "Bro". A friend you can hang out with and share things with that most girls wouldn't be interested in talking about and every now and then Rin would make some off-hand (*ahem*) remark (like the problem in your pants line, or the girlish figure line) that makes you laugh.
I'm disagreeing with you, but that's okay. However I'm curious about that "bro" -thing. I never wanted or expected Rin to be "a bro". Some say that the bro-est female character in the game is Miki (and perhaps Akira to some extent too?). I can sorta understand why she'd be called "a bro", altho I don't find that too appealing in a girl. That's why I always find it a little funny when bro-ishness is mentioned. Did the game lack a "bro-girl"? I dunno. But I really would've preferred Rin to be a little more fun and cheerfull.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:Does anyone else think that Rin didn't get the greatest Act 1 introduction? To me, she came off as "that weird girl that's so confusing and almost feels like talking to Kenji." I can almost hear Out of the Loop, lol
How is that not a great introduction? That's exactly how one would see her if they didn't know any better and Hisao doesn't know any better.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

The lack of a "bro" girl, and I've made this point elsewhere, is partially why I wish Miki was one of the girls with a path (the other part is because she is smokin' (in the good way :wink: )). Never really saw Rin that way nor can I.

As for her fear of kindness, it isn't so much that it bothers her (it does not seem like much bothers her), but rather she felt that the affection made her want to make her something she isn't, according to her (something I can extremely relate to). The acts all said and done though, after the good ending, to me I feel like being "lovey dovey" with her is acceptable. Yet is she a gushy mushy person? No, but for some that isn't desirable or needed (to me it is simply unnecessary).

Wow that's quite a few parenthesis. Random.