Former Sisterhood thread

WORDS WORDS WORDS

Guest Poster

Re: Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue) (Completed)

Post by Guest Poster »

No comments on Drunk Hanako? We need more drunk Hanako. One of the major things about being drunk is the lowering of inhibitions, and I think we get an interesting peek there when she's drunk of a side you'd never see of Hanako. Genuinly relaxed Hanako.
If I'd ever write a sequel to this story, it might have a scene with drunk Hanako. (or rather, tipsy Hanako) Her birthday party was a pretty funny part.

HOWEVER, for the rest of your post...the quote below is found in several lists containing myths about alcohol and alcoholism:
Myth: When the alcoholic is drinking, he reveals his true personality.

Reality: Alcohol’s effect on the brain causes severe psychological and emotional distortions of the normal personality. Sobriety reveals the alcoholic’s true personality.
Hisao himself states while trying to get drunk Hanako to let go of him that he's not gonna read too much into her behavior, because while alcohol generally lowers inhibitions, different people react differently while drunk.

Is Hanako genuinely relaxed while drunk? Yeah, she is. The same would be true if someone stuffed her full of morphine. That says nothing about her true personality. Alcohol isn't called a mind altering drug for nothing.

I think what you see of Hanako during her route IS her true personality. She may have been a lot less skittish and a lot less cynical in the past, but her accident and what happened to her afterwards changed her personality. And with time, therapy and support, it may change again, this time for the better.

Sure, Hanako has a soft and sweet side under her jumpy and negative appearance. Both are part of her personality.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Negativedarke

Post by Negativedarke »

Well Hanako did get drunk with probably the only three people she even remotely feels comfortable enough to let her guard down around. I think that getting drunk lowered some of her barriers a bit. Honestly I don't know if she'd have gotten more drunk or less drunk around others than those three, due to being more nervous. But I suspect that her behavior would be different. Although it's one of the first indications we have that she's attracted to Hisao.
"Misha, I don't think Chocoholism is a real disability."
"But the School's Entrance Board does Hi-Chan. Wahaha~"
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Hanako may have felt relatively comfortable around Lilly, Hisao and Akira and she may have genuinely enjoyed the attention that night, but it later turns out she wasn't completely sure how real their affection for her was. (that's her whole beef with the birthday thing...just because people are nice to her on that day doesn't really say anything about whether they truly care for her or not...it's a trust issue she has) I think part of the reason she took more than one glass of wine was in order to silence that nagging voice that suggested this wasn't real and give her friends the benefit of the doubt. (which isn't her strong suit)
Although it's one of the first indications we have that she's attracted to Hisao.
It happened to be, but Hisao was still smart not to jump to conclusions about it. Quite a few people who engage in one night stands sometimes wake up, look at the one sharing a bed with them and wonder: "What on earth made me hit THAT last night?" :wink:
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Hanako may have felt relatively comfortable around Lilly, Hisao and Akira and she may have genuinely enjoyed the attention that night, but it later turns out she wasn't completely sure how real their affection for her was. (that's her whole beef with the birthday thing...just because people are nice to her on that day doesn't really say anything about whether they truly care for her or not...it's a trust issue she has) I think part of the reason she took more than one glass of wine was in order to silence that nagging voice that suggested this wasn't real and give her friends the benefit of the doubt. (which isn't her strong suit)
Hanako has spent more or less the last ten years of her life not believing things like "true friendship" were real and thinking that she was useless to everybody.

Hanako says something at the end of her route about wanting to still think that way, but not being able to anymore. I believe that she's in a bit of a flux state during most of the story. She's trying to accept that maybe, just maybe, she was wrong about friendship not being a real thing.

With Lilly, she at least can justify it by saying to herself that Lilly is blind and they wouldn't hang out together if Lilly could actually see her. Akira's just their because of Lilly, but Hisao... Hisao is the one I don't think she quite knows what to think about.

There's no reason he has to hang out with her. He can see how horrible she looks and doesn't seem to make an issue out of it. Hanako doesn't quite know how to react to that.
Not Dead Yet
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

Wow, this is an awesome story. Few words can describe it. Even at 100%, I'm definitely going to go back and finish a few more runs of Hanako's route. I would have done that even without reading this story though, but this is icing on the cake. Fills me with more creative energy than I know what to do with, even in a few months' time. I guess all I can come up with to say is, thanks. This was awesome.
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Great story. I finished it a couple of months ago, but forgot to thank you for it. ^^
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Mjack_15980

Post by Mjack_15980 »

Amazing, just amazing. Easily the best story i have read on here so far. Btw love how uused the line from her original route at the very end. Very clever :D
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Thanks for the kind words, guys. :)

The original line-thing is something that's happened a few times throughout the story...like Lilly's speech to Hanako (though the part that might have made a slight difference ends up being omitted) and the "I've messed up everything."-line though it's Lilly rather than Hanako who delivers it.

The final part of the final scene was initially intended to take place just after Lilly's and Hanako's night on the town...sort of like Hanako's ultimate outreach to Lilly. In the end, I decided that part's emotional impact was much better suited to take place at the very end, rather than in a chapter where there were already several other things making it clear to Lilly that Hanako was making a serious effort at letting other people in.
Mjack_15980

Post by Mjack_15980 »

Yes true :D

Very well planned out i see. The planning paid in the end :D
Wookie

Post by Wookie »

This was the first fanfic i ever read on here. I only decided to try it because it was heavily recommended to me by a friend. You know what? Im glad i did read this.It is byfar my favourite fanfic. It just felt... right.

Im now just quietly hoping you'll do another fanfic someday. :P
My recommended fanfic material:
- A pseudo-pseudo Suzu route/Ascent: An Emilogue/Akira Pseudo-Route/Sisterhood (Hanako Epilogue)/One Wish (Hanako, post neutral)/"Can You Open Your Heart?" - a Rika pseudo-route/Closure/Kagami Pseudo-Route/ Tomorrow's Doom - Aiko Kurai (OC)... Damn it people, stop writing awesome fanfic, i'm running out of room in this sig!
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Thanks. I'm really glad you enjoyed it. :)

I do have a story outline in the back of my head for a continuation of this fanfic. However, since its scope would be roughly the same size as this story, whether I'll ever end up writing the whole thing out is still anyone's guess. This one already took a lot of time to write up.
Ranger296

Post by Ranger296 »

Like another poster previously stated, I came here with the recommendation from TvTropes that, "This is literally the single greatest piece of Katawa Shoujo fanfic this troper has ever read. I can't describe it properly. Really, I can't. Just read it."
I can safely say that I was not disappointed in the least, and that I really enjoyed reading this fanfic. Thanks for the experience. :D
Negativedarke

Post by Negativedarke »

A continuation? Well I certainly enjoyed this fic a lot. I don't know exactly where you'd go from here though. Well if you want to do it I'd love to see it. If you decide not to, that's fine.
"Misha, I don't think Chocoholism is a real disability."
"But the School's Entrance Board does Hi-Chan. Wahaha~"
GentleGiant

Post by GentleGiant »

I just created an account here for the sole purpose of praising this. When I first started KS just a couple of weeks ago Hanako immediately caught my attention. Having myself grown up with low self-esteem, leading to shyness, leading to loneliness I could pretty much spot the issue from start and could very much relate with her even though I suffered nowhere as much as her. I've faced my own demons... kicked them in the nuts and told them to stay down even, so I was eager to see Hanako do the same and followed the Hanako arc with great expectations. And while the ending was very sweet, it felt a bit abrupt and left me wanting... something more. Turns out this was it.

As I tested the other paths that KS had to offer I realised what was missing - the other story arcs in various details has Hisao starting some sort of relationship with the girl in question, reaching some sort of crisis and finding a way around that leaving the relationship on more solid ground. With Hanako the story ends just when her and Hisao starts their relationship so we never get to see them cement their relationship which is a shame. This story filled that gaping hole very nicely, and felt very much a continuation of the story. I felt the characters held true to what I seen of them in the game and enjoyed the elements from the other story arcs take their place here. I also enjoyed the use of the language, my favourite being the clever turnaround of the old "eyes up here"-line. It also got a couple of tears from me here and there... they were very manly tears though... really...

So, abundant thanks for this story, my only complaint is that it wasn't included in KS, but that's hardly your fault. :wink: Are the devs reading this? They should!
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Ranger296 wrote:Like another poster previously stated, I came here with the recommendation from TvTropes that, "This is literally the single greatest piece of Katawa Shoujo fanfic this troper has ever read. I can't describe it properly. Really, I can't. Just read it."
I can safely say that I was not disappointed in the least, and that I really enjoyed reading this fanfic. Thanks for the experience. :D
GentleGiant wrote:I just created an account here for the sole purpose of praising this. When I first started KS just a couple of weeks ago Hanako immediately caught my attention. Having myself grown up with low self-esteem, leading to shyness, leading to loneliness I could pretty much spot the issue from start and could very much relate with her even though I suffered nowhere as much as her. I've faced my own demons... kicked them in the nuts and told them to stay down even, so I was eager to see Hanako do the same and followed the Hanako arc with great expectations. And while the ending was very sweet, it felt a bit abrupt and left me wanting... something more. Turns out this was it.

As I tested the other paths that KS had to offer I realised what was missing - the other story arcs in various details has Hisao starting some sort of relationship with the girl in question, reaching some sort of crisis and finding a way around that leaving the relationship on more solid ground. With Hanako the story ends just when her and Hisao starts their relationship so we never get to see them cement their relationship which is a shame. This story filled that gaping hole very nicely, and felt very much a continuation of the story. I felt the characters held true to what I seen of them in the game and enjoyed the elements from the other story arcs take their place here. I also enjoyed the use of the language, my favourite being the clever turnaround of the old "eyes up here"-line. It also got a couple of tears from me here and there... they were very manly tears though... really...

So, abundant thanks for this story, my only complaint is that it wasn't included in KS, but that's hardly your fault. :wink: Are the devs reading this? They should!
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Glad you enjoyed the experience.
Negativedarke wrote:I don't know exactly where you'd go from here though.
Well, the fic did end with some suggestions about what the immediate future'd hold. A first aid training followed by a vacation abroad. (a first for Hanako) There's also graduation looming on the horizon. All in all, it's not the lack of material suitable for exploration that'd be a problem...it'd be mostly the monumental task of writing that kind of thing out. I have less time these days than I had half a year ago.