Misha's disabillity?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

abscess

Re: Misha's disabillity?

Post by abscess »

*after reading a bit of wikipedia*
So, in short (and as I understand), it's the overproduction of gastric acid. Well, now that's problematic. But I don't know if it would be considered as a physical disability. As far as I know (which isn¡t much), it could be as problematic as diabetes or leukimia, and people with diabetes (or leukimia) are still able to go to normal schools in some cases, unles it's a really bad leukimia (maybe diabetes too).

Anyway, I'm hungry, sleepy and still a bit tipsy. I'm off for the night (morning now....). Laters.
Siiiiigh....
kslover

Post by kslover »

shit your right im so close yet so far
all of which makes me anxious, at times unbearably so
wir sind wir
REJECT FALSE ICONS!
if you're losing your soul and know it then you still have a soul to lose.
its better to light a candle than complain about the dark.
vaen

Post by vaen »

none of you paid enough attention to the subtle signs strewn about the game (not just shizunes path).

she's clearly actually a zombie.
that sucks blood.
Onisake

Post by Onisake »

Progressive hearing loss makes the most sense to me. But at the same time there are a few holes in that being the best explanation. Her being loud would mean she is only using the frequency in the air. the inner ear can also pick up vibrations through bone. The skull is pretty rigid, so the noise she would make would basically resonate in her own skull, so she could hear herself just fine, no matter her volume. As an example, you should be able to use earplugs and talk, and be able to hear yourself speak, without being able to hear anyone else.

Speaking from personal experience, because I have nerve degeneration in my auditory nerve, causing me some difficulties in hearing, one ear is going faster than the other which gives me difficulties in telling what direction sounds come from. The bad thing about it being nerve degeneration is that hearing aids or cochlear implants won't work. It's sensory death on a difference scale. I often speak too softly. because the noise i hear from myself is quite loud, so i think it can be heard. Generally because i've built in that if i can hear something, everyone else can hear something. problem is i'm hearing it through the vibrations in my skull, not through the air and then my ear.

Personality disorders sound ok in theory, but would it really be necessary to attend such a special school because of a personality disorder? It would have to be pretty sever, and far more obvious i think. Also i remember Misha mentioning that she just happened to know sign, and was seated next to shizune because of that. I kind of rushed through the Misha/Shizune path, so i don't remember all the details. However I do remember never being able to see Misha's ears. her hair is always covering her ears. Which makes me a little suspicious. This would cover any hearing aids or implants she might have. It could also be a wig, going back to the cancer theory.

But in all honesty, i have no clue what her disability might be. It involves getting into the dev's heads, figuring out what they know about certain disabilities and disorders, and how they might portray that subtly. But common knowledge differs from more expert knowledge, or personal knowledge of certain disorders and diseases. For this reason i've ruled out the progressive hearing loss, because it contrasts from what I know it to be like. Nurses and doctors who work with hearing loss patients only have second hand knowledge, not first hand, things get lost in translation. The person suffering doesn't have the same knowledge as the expert, and thus lacks the ability to explain it properly. Even with proper knowledge it can be difficult to explain. But that's really just me ranting. This is a work of fiction afterall, not everything is going to be perfect. But that's part of what makes it enjoyable.
abscess

Post by abscess »

@Oni
That's very interesting. But I still think that progressive hearing loss is the most likely explanation, mostly because writers probably didn't know that much. People using earplugs or earphones or something like that tend to yell because they think they aren't being heard because htey don't hear themselves through the ear. So yeah, I'm betting on the devs not knowing :) No offense, devs, it has happened to me quite often too, so please don't take it badly (don't ban me!! please!!!).

The cancer theory doesn't seem likely, not with the wig theory at least. I remember that in Shizune's route they rushed to Hisao's room to wake him up to... work or go out, I can't remember. Anyway, the point is that Hisao made the remark that her... twisty hair stuff on each side of Misha's head (I can't remember the proper word for them in english, sorry) seemed wet and not fully done, she smelled of shampoo too IIRC. Unless she washes a wig with shampoo and combs it and makes the twisty things to it, I find it unlikely. It could be the case, but I find it weird and unlikely. Also, she seems capable of doing most physical activity just fine, for cancer to be physically deterring, doesn't it have to be worse? It is debatable how bad would it have to be to be considered physicaly deterring to that degree, but I think that, if that was the case, she would be pretty screwed to the point where she just can't do most stuff, not even study in a classroom.
Siiiiigh....
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

The devs have already said in the dev blog that Yamaku is not for mental disorders. Let's put that one to bed until the devs say otherwise.
I'm currently living with progressive nerve deafness. People do think you're being loud.
She has indicated in-game that she has balance issues.

If she had growing deafness plus Ménière's this could conceivably land her at Yamaku. I have a friend with Ménière's and she gets vomitously dizzy having to turn her head left-right-left in a meeting.
Onisake

Post by Onisake »

Ah! that's right. i remember something about her hair being wet or damp or something too. forgot about that.

I never liked the cancer theory anyway. that'd be a totally lame. and the futa theory is equally lame. i mean really? Misha's a dude/futanari? lolwut. Then again, her laughter wouldn't be the only thing that's piercing about her, and she could drill Hisao with something other than her hair.

completely unrelated, but cowgirl with her hunched over slightly while riding you, and those drills hitting you in the chest would be hot.

The Meniere's theory is interesting, but she's already turned her head frantically alot, while signing between Shiz and anyone else. Nerve degeneration could also screw with your balance though. as the nerves die it could signal wrong things to the brain. i've had that happen a couple of times. experiencing mild vertigo while attending a lecture on fluid dynamics isn't fun >.<
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

Onisake wrote:Ah! that's right. i remember something about her hair being wet or damp or something too. forgot about that.

I never liked the cancer theory anyway. that'd be a totally lame. and the futa theory is equally lame. i mean really? Misha's a dude/futanari? lolwut. Then again, her laughter wouldn't be the only thing that's piercing about her, and she could drill Hisao with something other than her hair.

completely unrelated, but cowgirl with her hunched over slightly while riding you, and those drills hitting you in the chest would be hot.

The Meniere's theory is interesting, but she's already turned her head frantically alot, while signing between Shiz and anyone else. Nerve degeneration could also screw with your balance though. as the nerves die it could signal wrong things to the brain. i've had that happen a couple of times. experiencing mild vertigo while attending a lecture on fluid dynamics isn't fun >.<
I was joking about the futa thing...or did someone else actually suggest that?
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
abscess

Post by abscess »

Hmmm... I find both Mr. Moody's and Oni's theory rather convincing. Though I don't know exactly what it would be.
So, listing the two most possible causes I've found suggested:
- Ménière's disease (Moody)
- Nerve degeneration (Oni)
On a side note, I think remembering that Misha mentioned knowing a little of sign language but she got into it after knowing Shizune, am I right or wrong on that?
Siiiiigh....
Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne »

Onisake wrote:Progressive hearing loss makes the most sense to me. But at the same time there are a few holes in that being the best explanation. Her being loud would mean she is only using the frequency in the air. the inner ear can also pick up vibrations through bone. The skull is pretty rigid, so the noise she would make would basically resonate in her own skull, so she could hear herself just fine, no matter her volume. As an example, you should be able to use earplugs and talk, and be able to hear yourself speak, without being able to hear anyone else.

Speaking from personal experience, because I have nerve degeneration in my auditory nerve, causing me some difficulties in hearing, one ear is going faster than the other which gives me difficulties in telling what direction sounds come from. The bad thing about it being nerve degeneration is that hearing aids or cochlear implants won't work. It's sensory death on a difference scale. I often speak too softly. because the noise i hear from myself is quite loud, so i think it can be heard. Generally because i've built in that if i can hear something, everyone else can hear something. problem is i'm hearing it through the vibrations in my skull, not through the air and then my ear.

Personality disorders sound ok in theory, but would it really be necessary to attend such a special school because of a personality disorder? It would have to be pretty sever, and far more obvious i think. Also i remember Misha mentioning that she just happened to know sign, and was seated next to shizune because of that. I kind of rushed through the Misha/Shizune path, so i don't remember all the details. However I do remember never being able to see Misha's ears. her hair is always covering her ears. Which makes me a little suspicious. This would cover any hearing aids or implants she might have. It could also be a wig, going back to the cancer theory.

But in all honesty, i have no clue what her disability might be. It involves getting into the dev's heads, figuring out what they know about certain disabilities and disorders, and how they might portray that subtly. But common knowledge differs from more expert knowledge, or personal knowledge of certain disorders and diseases. For this reason i've ruled out the progressive hearing loss, because it contrasts from what I know it to be like. Nurses and doctors who work with hearing loss patients only have second hand knowledge, not first hand, things get lost in translation. The person suffering doesn't have the same knowledge as the expert, and thus lacks the ability to explain it properly. Even with proper knowledge it can be difficult to explain. But that's really just me ranting. This is a work of fiction afterall, not everything is going to be perfect. But that's part of what makes it enjoyable.
Something along the line of an ear problem was my initial thought, as well. My biggest question was trying to find a disease that combined the main symptoms I noticed: Her lack of volume control, dizziness at the top of the stairs, and already knowing some sign language before coming to Yamaku. doing some bouncing around on the Internet caused me to come up with this page:

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/diso ... /aied.html

As stated earlier, normal hearing deficiency doesn't necessarily cause the volume control issues Misha has. However, tinnitus (pretty much permanent ringing of the ears) may have this effect - in her mind, she's having to speak over the white noise, despite nobody being able to hear it. AIED also causes some sporadic dizzy spells.

Maybe I'm just looking into it too much. Maybe she just can't hear through the sound of the wind blowing through those jet engines mounted to her head :p
Onisake

Post by Onisake »

Falkentyne wrote: Something along the line of an ear problem was my initial thought, as well. My biggest question was trying to find a disease that combined the main symptoms I noticed: Her lack of volume control, dizziness at the top of the stairs, and already knowing some sign language before coming to Yamaku. doing some bouncing around on the Internet caused me to come up with this page:

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/diso ... /aied.html

As stated earlier, normal hearing deficiency doesn't necessarily cause the volume control issues Misha has. However, tinnitus (pretty much permanent ringing of the ears) may have this effect - in her mind, she's having to speak over the white noise, despite nobody being able to hear it. AIED also causes some sporadic dizzy spells.

Maybe I'm just looking into it too much. Maybe she just can't hear through the sound of the wind blowing through those jet engines mounted to her head :p
Nerve degeneration has the same symptons. Think of it as watching TV with a poor quality cable or antennae. you get a lot of static, because not all of the signal can get through. The difference with AIED, is that it depends on the extent of the damage being done, and where. If the nerve itself is not being damage, you could replace the Cochlea and that would fix the ringing. she would still get dizzy, however. as you can't replace the fluid tubes very well. or maybe you could, i've never heard of it being done though. I have no idea how that part of the ear works exactly. I am familiar with Cochlea though, as well as the nerve damage.

going back to nerve damage a bit, because the signal is weak, it wouldn't matter how loud she was, only a certain portion of the signal will get through, even with an implant/aid. I mentioned vibrations in the skull, because it is a stronger signal, and can stimulate the inner ear in a more direct way than the cochlea can. If it is nerve degeneration, there is absolutely nothing that could be done. simply because you can't replace the nerve. Then again, we are in japan, so if it were AIED they likely couldn't do anything about that either. I imagine Cochlear implants in japan are not a common thing, probably just giver her a hearing aid and blast more noise into her ear, causing further damage. oh well. this also supports the fact we have not seen Misha's ears. could just be coincidence, but I'm suspicious still >=)

I like your theory. I hadn't thought of that. =O. and lol at the jet engine comment. I wouldn't mind her losing those drills, but they are hot <3
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

/a/ had a moment during a "what's her disability?" thread where someone translated a comment from 2ch as "I want to use Misha's tummy as my pillow" and /a/'s response was "I AM AS ONE WITH MY NIPPONESE BROTHERS"
Roxius

Post by Roxius »

What the - I don't even...
You just KNOW there's gonna be a Nurse X Akira X Hanako threesome witnessed by Yuuko at SOME point during the Emi path...in Lilly's room.
Onisake

Post by Onisake »

DuaneMoody wrote:/a/ had a moment during a "what's her disability?" thread where someone translated a comment from 2ch as "I want to use Misha's tummy as my pillow" and /a/'s response was "I AM AS ONE WITH MY NIPPONESE BROTHERS"
HNNNGH! amidoinright!?

that. sounds. amazing.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

It's like this game is building intercultural bridges of inalienable truths.