Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nobody in Particular

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Shadowyeclipse wrote: I hate Archer even more. I hate him, and I hate Caster for fucking Saber up.
Why do you hate all the best characters?
Shadowyeclipse wrote: But I would be lying if I said that segment between Illya and Berserker wasn't something to jerk a few tears. I used to hate her, but I'm starting to find all the characters I end up hating are the ones I end up loving or appreciating, while the ones I used to appreciate, I end up hating.[/spoiler]
That's why the other routes are so good. While it is the same basic story, they are told in a completely different way which make it a lot more unpredictable. Hence why Caster has been a lot more important in UBW then she was in Fate.
Shadowyeclipse wrote: I've heard that UBW was supposed to be the best route, and as of now, I don't have a counter to that, despite the fact I apparently cannot clear Rin's route on the first go, according to the Tiger Dojos, which I am trying to collect for the secret ending... but I'll see how that turns out.
UBW has two endings, the True End (the one you'll get the first time) and the Good End (the one you'll get the second time), so yeah you can clear it on the first go but there is an additional ending to be gained. Heaven's Feel also has two endings.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

Ironic how I didn't even bother to try to get the good end of UBW and Heaven's Feel, yet I played through Little Busters common route multiple times to try to win the baseball game, defeat Mask the Saito, and defeat the Unidentified Creature.

Then again, I hated the H-scenes and how some scenes got dragged out too long in F/SN
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

stanman237 wrote:Ironic how I didn't even bother to try to get the good end of UBW and Heaven's Feel, yet I played through Little Busters common route multiple times to try to win the baseball game, defeat Mask the Saito, and defeat the Unidentified Creature.

Then again, I hated the H-scenes and how some scenes got dragged out too long in F/SN

H-Scenes only annoy me when there is no option to hide them. I don't think they are BAD, persay, but I don't want someone to go looking on my computer at this game, or over my shoulder and see that.

*Shrug*

I just finished F/SN FOR REAL this time, all routes done, Heavens Feel, Blade Works, Fate, all Tiger Dojo's collected, all endings obtained.

There is one slight problem though. I don't have that "Secret" ending that is supposed to come when you get all 5 endings/full Dojo completion. Anyone else have a problem with this, as I have heard it's PS2 exclusive...
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

stanman237 wrote:Ironic how I didn't even bother to try to get the good end of UBW and Heaven's Feel, yet I played through Little Busters common route multiple times to try to win the baseball game, defeat Mask the Saito, and defeat the Unidentified Creature.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that isn't irony... >.>

I generally don't have the patience to do 100% games, especially if it has to do with minigames that take some sort of effort. I am mostly content with getting all of the endings in a game and even then I think I missed a UBW ending, not to mention dozens of Tiger Dojos.
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Flutterz wrote:

I generally don't have the patience to do 100% games, especially if it has to do with minigames that take some sort of effort. I am mostly content with getting all of the endings in a game and even then I think I missed a UBW ending, not to mention dozens of Tiger Dojos.

The only reason I finished F/SN to complete 100 percent completion is because I heard that There is a Fate ending in which Saber survives, and she and Shirou get to spend the rest of their lives together, blah blah.

I'm going to be PISSED if I was up all night yesterday and today just to find that there is no secret ending.

Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:
Flutterz wrote:

The only reason I finished F/SN to complete 100 percent completion is because I heard that There is a Fate ending in which Saber survives, and she and Shirou get to spend the rest of their lives together, blah blah.

I'm going to be PISSED if I was up all night yesterday and today just to find that there is no secret ending.
I do remember hearing something about an ending that you get from unlocking all the dojos, but I also remember not giving much of a crap. At that point I had been reading F/SN for nearly a month, mostly because I was only reading it on the bus to/from uni, so despite liking it, I just wanted to move on to something else.
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Flutterz wrote:
Shadowyeclipse wrote:

I do remember hearing something about an ending that you get from unlocking all the dojos, but I also remember not giving much of a crap. At that point I had been reading F/SN for nearly a month, mostly because I was only reading it on the bus to/from uni, so despite liking it, I just wanted to move on to something else.
Hum.

Well, there IS a secret ending, you have to download a patch for it. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but the patch adds some cool new stuff, some additional music, CG's, etc.
A little miffed that I played through the entire game without it, it's pretty great.

Well, now I'm looking for a new VN to play over the rest of break.

Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:
Flutterz wrote:
Shadowyeclipse wrote:

Hum.

Well, there IS a secret ending, you have to download a patch for it. It wasn't as good as I thought it would be, but the patch adds some cool new stuff, some additional music, CG's, etc.
A little miffed that I played through the entire game without it, it's pretty great.

Well, now I'm looking for a new VN to play over the rest of break.
Pretty much anything by Key is good. They're usually pretty long and engaging. Kanon in particular has a very wintery theme, which should be fitting with the New Year being nigh, although Clannad is still my favourite. Ever17 is pretty much a classic at this point, and for good reason. If you want something a bit heavier, Sharin no Kuni, G-Senjou no Maou or maybe even Cross Channel would be a good pick.
Nobody in Particular

The Normal end of HF is as simple as making a different choice at the end of the route. UBW one is a bit more long and boring.
stanman237 wrote: Then again, I hated the H-scenes and how some scenes got dragged out too long in F/SN
The H-scenes in F/SN were hilarious. You can always skip them anyway, that's what I do in most VNs.
Shadowyeclipse wrote: Well, now I'm looking for a new VN to play over the rest of break.
If you liked F/SN I would highly recommend the Muv-Luv trilogy. It isn't as long as F/SN but (in my opinion) is pretty much better in every aspect.

Obligatory Cross†Channel recommendation. It's fantastic.
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Nobody in Particular wrote:
The Normal end of HF is as simple as making a different choice at the end of the route. UBW one is a bit more long and boring.
stanman237 wrote: Then again, I hated the H-scenes and how some scenes got dragged out too long in F/SN
The H-scenes in F/SN were hilarious. You can always skip them anyway, that's what I do in most VNs.
Shadowyeclipse wrote: Well, now I'm looking for a new VN to play over the rest of break.
If you liked F/SN I would highly recommend the Muv-Luv trilogy. It isn't as long as F/SN but (in my opinion) is pretty much better in every aspect.

Obligatory Cross†Channel recommendation. It's fantastic.

Alright, I'll check out Muv-Luv next, because why the hell not?

Although I really did enjoy the F/SN series, I doubt Muv Luv will be able to beat it right now.

stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

I would recommend ever17 except for the fact that every single character treats you like an idiot, even the supposed amnesic kid.

There's always the stuff that Key makes which are:
Kanon
Air(translation in progress)
Clannad
Planetarian
Tomoyo After
Little Busters/Little Busters EX(EX is in translation)
Kud Wafter(translation in progress)
Rewrite(character partial translation out)
Rewrite Harvest Festa(not translated but planned)

On a side note about Rewrite, Kotori got the short end of the stick imo
SemisoftCheese

Post by SemisoftCheese »

Sixty pages is a lot to search through, but has anyone mentioned a Midsummer Day's Resonance?

Short, non-eroge, but thought provoking. A story about "true" love. It's translated by the magicians over at insani, and it's well worth a look.

http://www.insani.org/resonance.html
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

stanman237 wrote:On a side note about Rewrite, Kotori got the short end of the stick imo
For once I've had better things to do than read VN's, but based on the 2.5 routes of Rewrite I've done, she does seem to get somewhat screwed over :/ Shame, really.
lvrr325

Post by lvrr325 »

OtakuNinja wrote:I strongly recommend Otoboku and its sequel Futari no Elder. Although I haven't played the games yet, I've watched the animes and watched some Japanese LP's on YouTube. :)
Without spoiling too much, I can tell you that the setting is pretty much unique; being a disguised male attending an all-girls school. I especially like the more complex characters you meet in Futari no Elder.

I don't think there have been a complete English patch for the game(s) yet, but it's fully enjoyable in Japanese too. ;)
FWIW, Mangagamer will sell you a full English (text) copy of the Windows 7 version of Otoboku for around $50 give or take. Looks like the full original "adult" version at that.
Nobody in Particular

Shadowyeclipse wrote: Alright, I'll check out Muv-Luv next, because why the hell not?

Although I really did enjoy the F/SN series, I doubt Muv Luv will be able to beat it right now.
Prepare to be pleasently surprised then. There is a reason Alternative ranks first on VNDB and both first and second on EroGameScape.

Be sure to do it in the order of Extra > Unlimited > Alternative. You just have to do the Sumika and Meiya routes in Extra to unlock Unlimited and any route in Unlimited to understand Alternative.