What arc should i try next?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: Is anyone unwilling to do the bad/neutral endings?

Post by Xanatos »

yummines wrote:I'm unwilling to go through them more due to laziness than it affecting me conciously but yea i don't really feel like getting a bad ending. Especially for Rin. She deserves something man.
You have the energy to post around here and probably do other online things but not to do something that would take as much effort anyway?

I've never understooded the "laziness" excuse for...Well, anything. XD Oft-heard example: "I use "ppl" because I'm too lazy to type 'people'" - Okay, but just using 'people' is faster than that explanation every time, so you just invalidated your excuse.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Denouement

Post by Denouement »

I disagree. Katawa Shoujo takes a considerable amount of times. And in terms of feels it can be too exhausting for someone who is feeling lazy and not wanting to pay that much attention or feel much.
yummines

Post by yummines »

Xanatos wrote:
yummines wrote:I'm unwilling to go through them more due to laziness than it affecting me conciously but yea i don't really feel like getting a bad ending. Especially for Rin. She deserves something man.
You have the energy to post around here and probably do other online things but not to do something that would take as much effort anyway?

I've never understooded the "laziness" excuse for...Well, anything. XD Oft-heard example: "I use "ppl" because I'm too lazy to type 'people'" - Okay, but just using 'people' is faster than that explanation every time, so you just invalidated your excuse.
it's mainly that i already beat the route so the only things that is different is the ending. so its mainly just going to be skipping scenes i've already seen.

i also don't play visual novels very often so this is really the only exception.
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Xanatos wrote:

It's more that reading a (visual) novel is a cognitively demanding task as you need to read each line consciously and make an effort to understand the situation of it all. That, and the fact that you know Katawa Shoujo isn't exactly something that's easy digestible. Browsing the internet, on the other hand, is like zapping through some channels on tv. Much lighter.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

yummines wrote:its mainly just going to be skipping scenes i've already seen.
Wouldn't that only serve to decrease the time and effort (mental and otherwise) needed for it? Seems less like laziness and more like disinterest. But I'm just being pedantic now so feel free to ignore this. :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
XD005

Re: So I've just finished Hanako's story

Post by XD005 »

Well, thanks for the answers everyone.
This helps to bring me a little closer to deciding which story to read next.
Now I just have to fit some time in my schedule to ACTUALLY read it.
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

XD005 wrote:I just finished Hanako's story not too long ago. Although Emi was my first, I have this desire to read over both of them again but the thought
of reading another one other than Hanako's doesn't feel right. But I'm sure you've heard many cases of Hanako Syndrome on this forum so I'll just get to the point.
I'm trying to decide who's arc to start next, I think 'm going to give myself a month to get over the Hanako Syndrome. But I was thinking of doing Lilly next but since Hanako likely shows up a lot, I don't think I will.
I was also thinking about doing Rin's but I've heard that hers is hard to understand and a lot of people dislike the ending. But perhaps I'm reading the wrong pages. And then there is Shizune, I'm not too interested in hers as from what I've seen,
she doesn't seem to have that much of a "feel-invoking" story aside from the whole Misha thing. So yeah, if someone could just give me a slight summary about each girl's arc without spoiling things too bad and recommend one to do next, I'd greatly appreciate it.
If you liked Hanako's, your second favourite (or possibly first favourite; Lilly was my No. 1 and original favourite, only to be replaced by Hanako) will likely be Lilly's, but only you can gauge if you're ready for that.

Shizune's wasn't anything special. I'd reccomend Emi's, but you've already done that. I have no experience with Rin, but most people I talk to are either neutral or in favour.
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
DrNonookee

Post by DrNonookee »

I am completely, totally, absolutely unwilling to do any of the girls' bad ends. Fictional characters are real enough to me that I already dislike it when they get a bad ending (although bittersweet ones are fine). Asking me to be the one to guide them to that bad end? Hell, no. I'd be crying my poor eyes out by the time I got to the end. :cry:

100% will simply have to go without this time. At least there's no trophies/achievements to get. 8)
The very last thing I did in KS was finish Hanako's bad ending. Damn was she scary. I couldn't launch the game again after that. It's like her spirit is going to suddenly pop out of the game and scream at me or something.
Now I want a 'The Ring' remake, starring Hanako.
Now playing: Final Fantasy 14
Charlotte Donnay - Hyperion server. Look me up sometime!
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

DrNonookee wrote:I am completely, totally, absolutely unwilling to do any of the girls' bad ends. Fictional characters are real enough to me that I already dislike it when they get a bad ending (although bittersweet ones are fine). Asking me to be the one to guide them to that bad end? Hell, no. I'd be crying my poor eyes out by the time I got to the end. :cry:
Heaven forbid you feel bad doing a bad ending...It's almost as if they were designed to evoke that reaction. :P
Hisao&Hanako<3

Post by Hisao&Hanako<3 »

I got 100% in the game a few weeks ago, though I was completely unwilling to read through Misstep, Hanako's bad ending. I quickly grabbed a nearby book and proceeded to cover all the screen except for the little white arrow showing the advancement of text. 20 minutes later, I was back at the main menu thinking, holy hell, I am never watching that. I cry enough going through her good ending 5 times now, I don't need to perform a Fatality on myself reading the bad one. :lol:
By the way, I'm still ready for more replays of her route. I just can't get enough. I am definitely a Hanabro, nearly two months now after first finding the game. I am so happy that I discovered it.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Hisao&Hanako<3 wrote:I quickly grabbed a nearby book and proceeded to cover all the screen except for the little white arrow showing the advancement of text. 20 minutes later, I was back at the main menu thinking, holy hell, I am never watching that.
You're all pussies. :lol:
Carighan

Post by Carighan »

After I saw Shizune's bad ending, I had to do the other 4 good ending first (though on the Emi route I got the alternate path to the good one because I slightly misjudged the way she was written).

Shizune bad one.... ugh. I think part is that I could relate a lot to Misha's situation. :(
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

I had the same problem, especially with Hanako's. But eventually the feels calmed enough that I was able to do it, and I feel like I learned a bit more about the girls as a result.

Not that I'm immune to the feels; quite the opposite. But I can handle it emotionally now. It just took time and reflection.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
mysterycycle

Post by mysterycycle »

I played in this order:

Emi
Hanako
Lilly
Shizune
Rin

I'd recommend the same order, frankly. I'm a big fan of Hanako and Emi, and I really liked Lilly's path but it was the first one where Hisao's personality really began to depart from mine. I got bored with Shizune's path, though it had some gems buried in there, and all the while I kept thinking "Well, I need to finish this one so I'm ready to play Rin's path." Rin's was challenging for me in different ways, but I was never bored.
You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
ImageImage
Couch to 5k with Emi: WD123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123 W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
I'm making a Katawa Shoujo doujinshi!
My deviantArt
LordDarknus

Post by LordDarknus »

Ummm, I've always thought there was an "offical" order to the routes, based on how their organised in the start menu screen;

Emi -> Hanako -> Lilly -> Rin -> Shizune.

And Lilly's seem to be the "Official Canon" route, since hers is always highlighted in the library and is the only one who gets an epilogue. (Though personally I thought Lilly was too good for Hisao) (And also, the titles of her acts; "Past, Present, Future", that felt very encompassing of a person's life, as if it's "The One", all the other ones seem somewhat less important compared to that.)

(and also, in Lilly's route there's that rooftop lunch scene where All the girls got together minus Shizune and Misha, that was as close as the game got in bringing everyone together for a warm "fun fuzzy" scene, with the purpose of emphasising / dramatising the resulting heart flutter from so many cute girls notwithstanding)

But... I think your first route should always be the girl you want / like most.

I had this idea that the routes were better played like this:

Emi -> Rin -> Hanako -> Lilly -> Shizune

(as reflected in my fic)

I reasoned Emi was the "least serious", on account of her childish behaviour,

And Rin was "second least serious", on account of her bizarre character.

And they were all paired together that way! It was perfect! So.. I thought Emi and Rin were kind of like the "silly" routes in Final Fantasy 7, with that crazy ninja girl and the black dude.

(There was also the matter of the time frame; Emi's was seemingly the shortest, Rin second-shortest, Hanako third (or overlaps with Rin), Lilly fourth, and Shizune very very long, all the way past Tanabata and beyond)

But then.. I realised Rin's route is better off right before Shizune's, since all the "deep" Rin stuff would make someone feel really.. somewhat down. (well I didn't feel down, just other players in general) And that makes all the cheery and outlandish things in Shizune's route more fun and vibrant!

And I think Hanako's route Has to be played before Lilly's, since Hanako's story is more-or-less a subset of Lilly's. It doesn't feel right to go through so much of Hanako's story elements, and you end up with Lilly. It would feel like taking the "special first time feeling" out of playing Hanako's route next.

So.. yeah.

I just posted my opinions on the internet.

And now I'll start a potential flame war; Hanako's route was the hottest. </lame_joke>
</in_keeping_with_thread_title>
</bringing_it_full_circle>
</sort_of>