Is Hanako mentally unstable?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Renegade Starlight

Is Hanako mentally unstable?

Post by Renegade Starlight »

In your opinion, is Hanako emotionally stable or unstable?
Trivun

Re: Is Hanako mentally unstable?

Post by Trivun »

Well, she sees a therapist every weekend, so I'd say there's a strong chance she has at least some instability. I guess I could explore it more in my POV retelling fanfic, but in general she seems to have good mental health to me. It's just that her experiences have left her a broken shell of who she would have become, and it's only through her therapy and through Lilly and Hisao that she improves again over time - but the seeds of instability are definitely there, to my eyes.

Xbox Live: Trivun117
Steam: Trivun
Dream

Post by Dream »

Not mentally unstable, but she's closer to unstable than the average/normal of people. Rather than unstable i would say she's deeply troubled and woefully unequipped to confront life or move in the world as a balanced human being, particularly but not limited to the emotional aspect of things. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if she was mentally more inmature/underdeveloped than the other girls, if only a bit.

But basically, i don't think she has any mental problems or would qualify as unstable. It's just what abandonment and lack of a encouranging and emotional, intellectual and spiritual support do to a person. Shinji Ikari would be a much more extreme case, for example.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I don't think Hanako is mentally unstable. She's not delusional and her thought processes have logic to them although they're colored by her extremely low self esteem. Emotionally, I would say she is unstable. Seemingly trivial events are capable of triggering strong reactions of anxiety or depression in her. She's definitely damaged, not mentally but social-emotionally.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

That depends on your definition of "menatlly unstable".
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Fiandra

Post by Fiandra »

Nah, I don't think Hanako is mentally unstable. She's more of emotionally unstable. Like Guest Poster said.
@Ygdrasel wrote:All's fair in poop and war.
-Insert favorite KS girls here-
teh twitter
teh steem
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Mirage_GSM wrote:That depends on your definition of "menatlly unstable".
This. I'd place her in the moderate range: she is not dangerous, but her attacks do have severe effects on her life.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I think she's more conflicted than unstable.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

Renegade Starlight wrote:In your opinion, is Hanako emotionally stable or unstable?
yes
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Emotionally, yes (but she gets better). Mentally, no.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Renegade Starlight

Post by Renegade Starlight »

Thank you for the excellent responses, everyone!
Mirage_GSM wrote:That depends on your definition of "menatlly unstable".
My definition of emotionally unstable is more or less what Guest Poster described. ^^ Extreme, disproportionate emotional responses as the result of past traumas and emotional damage. In the 'Would you bully Hanako?' thread, some posters proclaimed that she might murder someone for mistreating her, so she does sound as though both her anger and sorrow can be an incredibly intense force...
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I'd say she was stable.

Severely emotionally troubled, lacking any sense of self worth, and barely functional as a human being, but stable.
Not Dead Yet
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Renegade Starlight wrote: In the 'Would you bully Hanako?' thread, some posters proclaimed that she might murder someone for mistreating her, so she does sound as though both her anger and sorrow can be an incredibly intense force...
Because any nonsense random forumgoers proclaim is totally canon. :roll:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

In the 'Would you bully Hanako?' thread, some posters proclaimed that she might murder someone for mistreating her, so she does sound as though both her anger and sorrow can be an incredibly intense force...
Very unlikely...Hanako's flight-or-fight reflex is firmly stuck on flight. The largest part of the negative feelings she has, she has projected onto herself in the "I probably didn't deserve better treatment"-kind of way.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Magnenntae

Post by Magnenntae »

I wouldn't say she's mentally unstable, you know, it's not as if a something could (metaphorically) knock her off balance and cause her to plummet into insanity or anything. But I definitely think she does have a mental disorder, and I know because I had the same thing, even the locking up in stressful social situations. I could go into more detail but I don't guess anyone really cares.

Anyway I think in reality she would be diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and probably put on some medications to regulate the chemicals in her brain to be more normal. She'd still be shy, of course, just not in the same way.

Emotionally unstable? I think somewhat, I mean, just think about [Hanako route spoilers] her bad end, she goes apeshit pretty much, I think part of the reason she's emotionally unstable is because of the way she's kept everything pent up, she's just waiting for someone, or something to trigger a release. Not to mention trauma from the fire and whatnot.