Misha?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Nosson

Re: Misha?

Post by Nosson »

I have Asperger's (which is a form of autism, or more accurately ASD or PDD as vermithrx has pointed out.) I think it is quite possible that Misha also has AS.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asperger_syndrome
For those not wanting to read more in-depth here is a basic rundown:
"The mainstay of management is behavioral therapy" (explaining why she is at the school)
"obsessive or repetitive routines" (WHAHAHAHA~!, also her wanting to have her easer head perfectly flat)
"physical clumsiness" (She crashes into the room with all the elegance of a rhino, also problems with throwing things)
"People with AS often display intense interests" (That could be why she learned sign language, it was something that interested her even though she has no need for it)
"oddities in loudness, pitch, intonation, prosody, and rhythm" (Perfect description of Misha's speech patterns)
Last edited by Nosson on Sat May 09, 2009 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khaos

Post by Khaos »

The lack of demonstrated empathy is possibly the most dysfunctional aspect of Asperger syndrome. Individuals with AS experience difficulties in basic elements of social interaction, which may include a failure to develop friendships or to seek shared enjoyments or achievements with others (for example, showing others objects of interest), a lack of social or emotional reciprocity, and impaired nonverbal behaviors in areas such as eye contact, facial expression, posture, and gesture.
Whatever she has, it's NOT autism...geez...
...so that's why I'm trying to figure out if there is something I need to figure out and then figure that out before it's too late and all hope is lost.
~~~~~
Isn't a realist just the word for what the cynic calls himself?
Nosson

Post by Nosson »

Khaos wrote:
The lack of demonstrated empathy is possibly the most dysfunctional aspect of Asperger syndrome. Individuals with AS experience difficulties in basic elements of social interaction, which may include a failure to develop friendships or to seek shared enjoyments or achievements with others (for example, showing others objects of interest), a lack of social or emotional reciprocity, and impaired nonverbal behaviors in areas such as eye contact, facial expression, posture, and gesture.
People can still suffer from a disorder and not display all the sypmtoms. Also AS gets progessivly better, Misha is in highschool, she has had plently of time to learn to better interact with people, same thing happened with me. I used to display those dysfunctions, but as I grew older and learned, they went away, by the time I reached highschool it was no longer a problem. Also we are talking about Asperger's, not austism, I was just refering to it as that for sake of the general publics understanding, as vermithrx has said. But no longer! People should know the differences, so if anyone refers to AS as autism again on this thread, I will track you down and gut you like a fish. :lol: (thats an evil laugh btw)
RyuuseiDate

Post by RyuuseiDate »

Nosson wrote:
Khaos wrote:
People can still suffer from a disorder and not display all the sypmtoms. Also AS gets progessivly better, Misha is in highschool, she has had plently of time to learn to better interact with people, same thing happened with me. I used to display those dysfunctions, but as I grew older and learned, they went away, by the time I reached highschool it was no longer a problem. Also we are talking about Asperger's, not austism, I was just refering to it as that for sake of the general publics understanding, as vermithrx has said. But no longer! People should know the differences, so if anyone refers to AS as autism again on this thread, I will track you down and gut you like a fish. :lol: (thats an evil laugh btw)
First of all, AS is an autistic spectrum disorder. A form of high functioning autism. Thats why people call it that. :p
Secondly, take my word from it as someone who has it running in the family. Misha isn't anywhere on the autistic spectrum, high or low. She's far, far too outgoing for that. MAYBE OCD, but the evidence is much too thin to call it that for sure IMO.
PCJedi

Post by PCJedi »

RyuuseiDate wrote: First of all, AS is an autistic spectrum disorder. A form of high functioning autism. Thats why people call it that. :p
Secondly, take my word from it as someone who has it running in the family. Misha isn't anywhere on the autistic spectrum, high or low. She's far, far too outgoing for that. MAYBE OCD, but the evidence is much too thin to call it that for sure IMO.
Seconded. As someone with Asperger's myself, if she's as outgoing as she is, Misha does not have Aspergers. She's just too socially-high-functioning, if you will. I'm a total social disaster myself, and would find it REALLY hard to act like Misha does.
Love is Blind. God is Love. Lilly is Blind.

Then, is Lilly God?
tyren

Post by tyren »

Viherkogen wrote:I was under the impression that she was partially deaf or had failing hearing. It seemed that way since she had trouble with volume control. She was scolded once by the teacher when she was asking for plywood. She also disturbed Hisao when she thought she was whispering to him in class, the teacher noticed, but payed it no heed. It gives a reason as to why she knew sign language. Although, I could just be missing the signs of tourettes or OCD.
I kind of doubt this one, since on another occasion the teacher admonishes her for being too loud (I think what he said was "We've talked about volume control before..."). I think he'd be more patient with her if her general tendency to speak in an "outdoor voice" all the time was related to her disability rather than just an overhyper personality.
Nosson

Post by Nosson »

PCJedi wrote:
RyuuseiDate wrote: First of all, AS is an autistic spectrum disorder. A form of high functioning autism. Thats why people call it that. :p
Seconded. As someone with Asperger's myself, if she's as outgoing as she is, Misha does not have Aspergers. She's just too socially-high-functioning, if you will. I'm a total social disaster myself, and would find it REALLY hard to act like Misha does.
To RyuuseiDate:
In my first comment, I said AS is an ASD, but it is not the same as full blown autism, so I think it is best to distinguish between the two, instead of using the catch all term of 'autism' so has not to confuse those who do not have first hand experience with the condition.

To RyuuseiDate and PCJedi:
As I said in my previous comment aswell, I too have Asperger's. You must remember that just becuase someone suffers from a type of disorder, that does not mean they are all clones of eachother. We all deal with things differently, I too have feelings of social awkwardness, but I do not let those feelings rule me. Secondly, we must look at the situation Misha is in, she is in a school that she has been going to for years, it is also a school designied for students with many problems, and the overall 'mood' of the school is one of acceptance and caring. When I am in an evironment which I feel comfertable in, I act very much like Misha, loud, outgoing, and very friendly.
Last edited by Nosson on Sat May 09, 2009 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PCJedi

Post by PCJedi »

Fair enough. I do recognize that people labeled with the same disorder can still show varying effects from it, but I guess all I knew from my personal experience was that I have Aspergers, and am shy in general on top of it, so I don't like to talk very much in public. It's possible that Misha has it, though I still think OCD is a better fit with what we know about her.
Love is Blind. God is Love. Lilly is Blind.

Then, is Lilly God?
Nosson

Post by Nosson »

PCJedi wrote:Fair enough. I do recognize that people labeled with the same disorder can still show varying effects from it, but I guess all I knew from my personal experience was that I have Aspergers, and am shy in general on top of it, so I don't like to talk very much in public. It's possible that Misha has it, though I still think OCD is a better fit with what we know about her.
And I accept your differing opinion. Personally I would enjoy it if it turns out Misha to have AS, becuase there are so few in fiction (actually I cant think of any), while OCD on the other hand has quite a few. Its about time we are repreasented, and I think Misha does this so well, displaying the problems we face, yet still over comeing them and makeing her voice heard, heard for two people in fact while so many of us have problems with just letting ourselves be known.
Xevo

Post by Xevo »

BcDed wrote:There's also rumors going around that she's a lesbian
Let's go with bi-sexual then. Would still allow a threesome. :3
"Anal." - Emi
"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive." - Lilly
"The problem is in your pants." - Rin
"I'll tutor you." - Misha
"...?" - Shizune

I approve.
Metsuki Minamoru

Post by Metsuki Minamoru »

My best friend has Aspergers, as well as my older brother. My best friend played a lead role in theater club, has many friends, and is weird like Misha is. But, he used to be really shy. Same with my brother. Now, he's married with a kid on the way. So, I've seen first-hand that the condition can lessen in it's severity. And yet, leave those people with obvious outward "quirks." So, I have to agree with Nosson.
Khaos

Post by Khaos »

Hm...if I would make a fictional character that is supposed to have aspergers, I would make the symptoms distinct enough that there wouldn't be a need to argue about wether it is aspergers or not.
...so that's why I'm trying to figure out if there is something I need to figure out and then figure that out before it's too late and all hope is lost.
~~~~~
Isn't a realist just the word for what the cynic calls himself?
The Chemist

Post by The Chemist »

tyren wrote: I kind of doubt this one, since on another occasion the teacher admonishes her for being too loud (I think what he said was "We've talked about volume control before..."). I think he'd be more patient with her if her general tendency to speak in an "outdoor voice" all the time was related to her disability rather than just an overhyper personality.
I dunno about you, but I remember being told multiple times in School to quiet down and "Watch the volume". And I have nothing accept ADHD, so... AS isn't very likely. OCD... maybe. I'm on the "internal physical" problems.

BTW: Who said brain tumor? I disagree. My boss had a brain tumor, and his attitude, personality never changed. Nor did my friend Ben. Most they had were incredible headaches and random, inexplainable vertigo (on flat ground).
ZystraL wrote:It was an awesome scenario. Sitting on green grass staring at the clouds...with a laptop slowly burning your junk and giving you testicular cancer.
Spoon

Post by Spoon »

spankypants wrote:
Nosson wrote:Misha is there because she is a top ranking feminist officer, I mean SOMEONE has to plan the overthrow of all mankind.
I just had a very distinct mental image of a vast army of Mishas, laughing incessantly as march on the last remaining male stronghold.
OOOOOOOOOH
nightmares nightmares nightmares nightmares nightmares.
"Sometimes I sit for hours weighing the fine distinctions between spunk, pluck, balls, nerve, chutzpah, gall, and moxie."
U.T. Raptor

Post by U.T. Raptor »

I just had a very distinct mental image of a vast army of Mishas, laughing incessantly as march on the last remaining male stronghold.
ONCE THE MISHA IS MASS PRODUCED-