Bacon Tagging

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Oddball

Re: Bacon Tagging

Post by Oddball »

A Chibi Hanako with the word bacon will not offend anyone, its just a shy girl with long hair that for some reasons is linked to bacon, if a katawa shoujo fan sees it he will know it is Hanako, and probably that bacon is her fan nickname.
Ah. So you're taking a character who's life was ruined because of people making fun of her and trying to spread around an insult as her fan nickname.
Now if the viewer does not know about katawa shoujo he will probably just think its a silly graffiti about bacon or something, he will not deduce that bacon is her nickname given to her by some cruel jerks,
So you're admitting to being cruel jerks now.

Okay, so, let me ask a few questions now.

First, what do you tell people if they ask you what that means? I can't see any way of saying "Bacon is just a nickname for a character tat was horribly burned in a fire," without coming across as a huge jerk.

Further, if it's so harmless, why of all the possibly things you could write there, would you WANT to openly identify her with an insulting nickname?
Not Dead Yet
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

Oddball wrote: Ah. So you're taking a character who's life was ruined because of people making fun of her and trying to spread around an insult as her fan nickname.
Its a fictional character, i doubt she will be offended by it, since she's not real, and its just a fan thing. No harm done.
First, what do you tell people if they ask you what that means? I can't see any way of saying "Bacon is just a nickname for a character tat was horribly burned in a fire," without coming across as a huge jerk.

Further, if it's so harmless, why of all the possibly things you could write there, would you WANT to openly identify her with an insulting nickname?
What that means? It means Bacon, and everybody loves bacon! Its a in-joke not a marketing campaign.
Also, Bacon its a lovely nickname, food based nicknames are the best ones.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Wow. Just...wow?

Frankly I have to question your take on common sense.

I mean, I don't understand how butt-hurt you can be. There's two type of attachments: infatuation and over-possessiveness.

You need to remember that these characters are fictional. I do have certain attachments with Shizune and KS characters, but I always remind myself that they are fictional--so fan jokes and what not isn't offending anyone and if anything, it's a show of appreciation towards them. You doodle about them somewhere because you like them, you want to be reminded about them at each passing moment because they left an impression of some sort and--if possible--share them to others who are in the unknown.

So really, even with the fan-nickname 'bacon-chan' the picture of Hanako just pops right into your head at an almost instantaneous moment--to be honest, it even made me smile. Why? BECAUSE IT'S FUCKING CUTE. If the comment is "burned bitch" THEN that's offensive. If you're actually feeling really-really offended--more over because of a fictional character--then that is something you ought to get yourself looked into. I have my attachments with Shizune, but that doesn't mean I won't make fun of the things I like once in awhile.

...which actually got me thinking. What reasonable quotes/nicknames there are for the girls? Might actually start drawing them all

...and of course, here's the little 'tag' I did on the whiteboard of the learning center. Hope it's still there on Wednesday when I'm on duty again :D

...what? It's CUTE!
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I actually remember Oddball saying he used to know someone who was covered in burn scars up to her neck in real life, so I can see how people here casually making fun of burn scars in general ('cause let's face it..."bacon" refers to her injuries in general, not to her character specifically unlike...say...Drill-tan) comes across to him as callous. Yes, yes, I realize it's all in good fun. This is probably what Hanako's schoolmates used to tell themselves too. But yah...it's hardly the most considerate thing in the world.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Sadako Yamamura

Post by Sadako Yamamura »

This is... no. Mr. OP, you are a cruel person :|
Dream

Post by Dream »

Guest Poster wrote:I actually remember Oddball saying he used to know someone who was covered in burn scars up to her neck in real life, so I can see how people here casually making fun of burn scars in general ('cause let's face it..."bacon" refers to her injuries in general, not to her character specifically unlike...say...Drill-tan) comes across to him as callous. Yes, yes, I realize it's all in good fun. This is probably what Hanako's schoolmates used to tell themselves too. But yah...it's hardly the most considerate thing in the world.
Personally i assumed Oddball was irked at the concept of making fun of someone (even if they're not real, the behavior and attitude behind such humor certainly is) But i imagine that bit of backstory certainly would change some things. Personally, i didn't think this was too bad when i saw the OP. But after reading Oddball's and Guest Poster's post i have to question the integrity of such a meme.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
Xybaro

Post by Xybaro »

While it is rather crass and tasteless, making fun of someone with burns, regardless whether they're real or not.. at least it's not "I'mma rub cum in yo burn scars"

:wink:
Hanako Lover
Shadix-CF

Post by Shadix-CF »

Oddball wrote:
Call me a terrible person if you must, because by all means I adore Hanako really.
Satire as fuck.
Really? Is this what passes for satire these days?
Yeah, satire was not the best word to use now that I look at it.....
Oddball wrote:
So you want Katawa Shoujo to be known for being the place where an unfunny reference that insults one of it's main characters comes from?
And I really just made this as a minor joke for my close friends who read KS. Just felt like sharing it for some reason.
I've seen some shit.
Shadix-CF

Post by Shadix-CF »

Megumeru wrote:
...and of course, here's the little 'tag' I did on the whiteboard of the learning center. Hope it's still there on Wednesday when I'm on duty again :D

...what? It's CUTE!
Wow, You put a lot more detail into yours.
Mine is REALLY simplistic, but it helps make it discreet and unnoticeable unless you pay attention to the board.
I've seen some shit.
Brogurt

Post by Brogurt »

this topic has gotten several times more attention that it deserves and you should all feel bad and cease this at once
Myshina

Post by Myshina »

Tomate wrote: Food based nicknames are the best ones.
I get a feeling you are flattering yourself here, you Brazilian Tomato~! Wahahaha~!
Xanatos wrote: Whips, of course. :P I don't do that submissive shit!
Mader Levap

Post by Mader Levap »

Just something completely, totally unrelated - distinguishing reality from fantasy is useful skill.
Sorry for blatant offtopic.
Image Proud member of Polish Route - group that translated Katawa Shoujo to Polish. Full translation released!
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Mader Levap wrote:Just something completely, totally unrelated - distinguishing reality from fantasy is useful skill.
Someone who is a douchebag "when it is only pretend" is usually still a douchebag when it is for real. Exceptions are specific roleplaying for a desired setting, and actors delving into a special characters.

But calling an imaginary black person "nigger" or an imaginary burn victim "bacon" or an imaginary woman "cunt" is not that different from doing it to someone real. The attitude behind the slur is the same, and real people see the connection between you, your slur, and your imaginary punching bag. On the internet, WYSIWYG, and at the end of the day it is not that much different from RL.

People need to accept personal responsibility for their attitudes and actions regardless of the setting. It is a useful skill that is sadly getting lost in each new generation.

Sorry for the blatant offtopic.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

ravenlord wrote:
Mader Levap wrote:Just something completely, totally unrelated - distinguishing reality from fantasy is useful skill.
Someone who is a douchebag "when it is only pretend" is usually still a douchebag when it is for real.

But calling an imaginary black person "nigger" or an imaginary burn victim "bacon" or an imaginary woman "cunt" is not that different from doing it to someone real.
Someone who is a douchebag "when it is only pretend" would, by their very nature, not be one "for real". Otherwise "when it is only pretend" would not be applicable in the first place.

And it's actually quite different from doing it to someone real because one is real and the other is a fictional character. If you go call a real burn victim 'bacon', you're an asshole. If you call Hanako 'bacon', nobody cares because it's not affecting anything whatsoever.

@Myshina: Change that signature! :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Tomate

Post by Tomate »

ravenlord wrote:
Someone who is a douchebag "when it is only pretend" is usually still a douchebag when it is for real. Exceptions are specific roleplaying for a desired setting, and actors delving into a special characters.

But calling an imaginary black person "nigger" or an imaginary burn victim "bacon" or an imaginary woman "cunt" is not that different from doing it to someone real. The attitude behind the slur is the same, and real people see the connection between you, your slur, and your imaginary punching bag. On the internet, WYSIWYG, and at the end of the day it is not that much different from RL.

People need to accept personal responsibility for their attitudes and actions regardless of the setting. It is a useful skill that is sadly getting lost in each new generation.

Sorry for the blatant offtopic.
For Torm's sake, thats just unreasonably over sensitive.

Bacon is not at pair with nigger or cunt, its a friendly nickname (its food based after all) not a taboo word.
Don't just eat that hamburger, eat the HELL out of it!