Is Rin Cliche at all?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

1st_genie

Is Rin Cliche at all?

Post by 1st_genie »

Hello,

I'm just going through Rin's route and I started wondering where the idea for her personality comes from? Such as if she's a stock character, or if there is another character like her from some other material. Just wondering.
Last edited by 1st_genie on Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ravenlord

Re: Is Rin Cliche at all?

Post by ravenlord »

Well you can compare her tropes and see if she is like other characters that you know http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/C ... tawaShoujo . But she is not a stand-in for anyone else.
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Nope.
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Having a character in a series just be "the weirdo" is kind of cliche, as is having the "eccentric artist" type, but Rin turns it on it's head by saying that she really doesn't want to be like that. She wants to make sense and have people understand her, which isn't really common for those types of characters.

It's also pretty rare for characters not to have any arms.
Not Dead Yet
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

I guess she's sort of like what TVTropes would call a Cloudcuckoolander, but I don't know if I'd call her cliched.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Oddball wrote:Having a character in a series just be "the weirdo" is kind of cliche, as is having the "eccentric artist" type, but Rin turns it on it's head by saying that she really doesn't want to be like that. She wants to make sense and have people understand her, which isn't really common for those types of characters.

It's also pretty rare for characters not to have any arms.

Let's say Rin WAS a typical "Weirdo" character.

The fact she has no arms wouldn't excuse an otherwise boring and over-used personality.

That's like telling me I should feel bad for a guy in a wheel chair for whatever reason, and treat a guy not in a wheelchair normally, despite the fact they both are assholes.
Theoretically.

2cents.
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Rin, like many in KS, is somewhat a subversion of the cliche (like Oddball pointed out).
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

In my opinion, she's the least cliche character in the game.
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Rin's the "weird, spacy artist" type of character. What's relatively unique is that unlike in many other pieces of fiction, this type of weirdness has consequences and actively makes her life difficult. (and not in a funny kind of way)
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Rin's cuckoocloudlander is...present in other characters in different fictions.

There's bound to be someone else that share something like that--difference is, her train of thoughts translates into her wanting to be understood, not because she do it for the likes of it.

...actually, there are other characters that is similar to Rin and her wacky thinking who just wants to be understood, so I'm not sure what can be determined to be 'cliche' in Rin...there's something that actually sticks out like a sore thumb that bothers me. For now I'm assuming that her weirdness brought a certain risk and consequences upon herself and the others, unlike those of the generic which are mostly there as comic relief.

If you want a cliche character, there's that one blind blonde I can name--now that's cliche. :lol:
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Megumeru wrote:
If you want a cliche character, there's that one blind blonde I can name--now that's cliche. :lol:
:roll: You just cant help yourself, can you?
Not Dead Yet
ShadeHaven

Post by ShadeHaven »

I don't think Rin is that cliche, but her self-absorbed teacher exudes it like an erupting geyser.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Oddball wrote:
Megumeru wrote:
:roll: You just cant help yourself, can you?
Nope~
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

ShadeHaven wrote:I don't think Rin is that cliche, but her self-absorbed teacher exudes it like an erupting geyser.
Raving megalomaniacs who are so focused on the prize they don't notice an elephant in the room even though his ass has been bitten hard in the past? Actually that makes Nomiya one of the most realistic characters in the group. Which is why he is one of the worst characters out of the lot.
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Megumeru wrote:If you want a cliche character, there's that one blind blonde I can name--now that's cliche. :lol:
Yes, we get it. You hate Lilly and like to criticize the character. Try not talking about it every five minutes. You know what we call it when someone blatantly draws attention to an obvious point every five minutes in film? Shitty writing. Quit being shitty writing. It's just sad. Also sad is the lie that she's cliche but that's another matter :P

@Pyramid Head: Exactly right. Nomiya's the most realistic and it sucks because people like him really exist. :lol: I'd call Jigoro a cliche though if he wasn't such a caricature.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."