Voice Actors?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Albert Wesker

Voice Actors?

Post by Albert Wesker »

Can you imagine if all the characters in Ks actually had voices in the game?
i think the game is better like it is now, but i was always curious how bad/good would it be that every time you see Misha you hear something like this.
Though would really need an awesome voice actress for Shizune.
3988588+_21fefcf53f01015e51e8606d19158eab.png
3988588+_21fefcf53f01015e51e8606d19158eab.png (67.11 KiB) Viewed 4726 times
"Blue moon, you saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart... without a love of my own"
Gamer, bad comedian and Wahahaha~!
Heartless Wanderer

Re: Voice Actors?

Post by Heartless Wanderer »

Misha would be the most annoying thing on two legs. And WAHAHA~! I see what you did there, you rapscallion you.

Voice actors can do great things for visual-novel style storytelling (a good example is actually in the story modes for Persona 4 Arena. I don't think Chie Satonaka's "I DID NOT DISCARD MY WOMANHOOD!" rant would have been half as funny if she weren't actually ranting at you while it happened), but it's a serious "your mileage may vary" issue. Some people prefer to let their imaginations do the talking, some prefer voices. To that end, in the unlikely (by which I mean it will never happen) event that Katawa Shoujo is ever voiced, there must be an option to turn voices on and off to accommodate both preferences. Also, it's not worth it if there's no real talent involved.

That having been said:

A Katawa Shoujo audiobook version for blind people. This idea just popped into my head now. Or at least a printed braille version. Or something. Has it been done? If not, someone should totally get on that because it needs to happen. I am deadly serious about this. I bet it's been brought up as a topic already... I must use my Search-bar powers to track it down and register my support for the idea.
[Emibro], [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], [Rin Kin], Feminist, Two-timer

In other words, [Manly Picnic]
Albert Wesker

Post by Albert Wesker »

Heartless Wanderer wrote:Misha would be the most annoying thing on two legs. And WAHAHA~! I see what you did there, you rapscallion you.

Voice actors can do great things for visual-novel style storytelling (a good example is actually in the story modes for Persona 4 Arena. I don't think Chie Satonaka's "I DID NOT DISCARD MY WOMANHOOD!" rant would have been half as funny if she weren't actually ranting at you while it happened), but it's a serious "your mileage may vary" issue. Some people prefer to let their imaginations do the talking, some prefer voices. To that end, in the unlikely (by which I mean it will never happen) event that Katawa Shoujo is ever voiced, there must be an option to turn voices on and off to accommodate both preferences. Also, it's not worth it if there's no real talent involved.

That having been said:

A Katawa Shoujo audiobook version for blind people. This idea just popped into my head now. Or at least a printed braille version. Or something. Has it been done? If not, someone should totally get on that because it needs to happen. I am deadly serious about this. I bet it's been brought up as a topic already... I must use my Search-bar powers to track it down and register my support for the idea.
I think i prefer my imagination do the talking. But like you said, if there isn't talent and passion doing the voices, there is no real point on doing them.
Also, i know is going to probably never happen, but after seeing this. i think it would be awesome.
Also, and audiobook for blind people sounds somehow crazy, but at the same time interesting, same with the braille version.
"Blue moon, you saw me standing alone, without a dream in my heart... without a love of my own"
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

Albert Wesker wrote:i think the game is better like it is now, but i was always curious how bad/good would it be that every time you see Misha you hear something like this.
Though would really need an awesome voice actress for Shizune.
3988588+_21fefcf53f01015e51e8606d19158eab.png
I managed to cringe at her presence and literally dread that laugh. And that was without actually being able to hear it.
As for the Shizune thing, that just wasn't funny. And she'd probably need some sort of acting - I mean, she's mute, that's not to say she doesn't make sounds - but probably not a dedicated actress.
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
Kyvos

Post by Kyvos »

Yeah, the whole voice acting thing would probably never happen...

*cough* http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6950 *cough*
Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin
100% get!
Albert Wesker

Post by Albert Wesker »

Kyvos wrote:Yeah, the whole voice acting thing would probably never happen...

*cough* http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6950 *cough*
Oh god, this
IS. FREAKING. AMAZING.
Your Mutou is awesome.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Heartless Wanderer wrote:A Katawa Shoujo audiobook
KS would be awful without the visual element.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
FoxtrotZero

Post by FoxtrotZero »

Xanatos wrote:
Heartless Wanderer wrote:A Katawa Shoujo audiobook
KS would be awful without the visual element.
I don't think that's true. It is a visual novel, hence the visuals are supposedly a big deal. While not having them would detract from the experience, most of the visuals are just backgrounds and sprites with a few really well-drawn pictures. To really enjoy it, I think it takes a fair bit of visual imagination. The story is well written enough that it would be good in a non-visual format, it's just that every little gesture would have to become textual, and therein lies a difficulty.

Nonetheless, Lillys arc in Braille or Audio would be pretty nice.
Reccomended Fanfic: Sisterhood by Guest Poster - Braving the Storm by Doomish - Akira Pseudo-Route (WIP) by Thanatos02
Kyvos

Post by Kyvos »

Albert Wesker wrote: Oh god, this
IS. FREAKING. AMAZING.
Your Mutou is awesome.
Thanks! I don't think I'll end up voicing him, though.

On the topic of an audiobook, I don't think the lack of visuals would really be that much of an issue. The main problem would be the fact that there are choices.
Lilly > Emi > Hanako > Shizune > Rin
100% get!
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Kyvos wrote:I don't think the lack of visuals would really be that much of an issue.
I'm not sure about that. The sentences were written with the images in mind which would mean that some sentences would be lacking in meaning as there isn't anything to complement them. Besides that, if words are all you're relying on, you'd need much more descriptions about the context of the situation. This means changes in the script.

But I'm guessing voice-acting could partly capture the context as well. More difficult though.
Trivun

Post by Trivun »

I would be interested in something like this myself, but I know it won't happen and I can do fine without it. Katawa Shoujo is awesome enough anyway. That bein said, I would be fully on board with the whole audiobook or printed Braille idea. At the end of the day, it's a story about disabled people, and more to the point about them having overcome their disabilities and living regular lives - that's one of the overriding themes of the entire project. Thus, why not accommodate for those who are disabled IRL in a way that stops (or complicates) them from otherwise being able to enjoy this masterwork of storytelling?

Xbox Live: Trivun117
Steam: Trivun