Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Reksho

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Reksho »

Okay, so I repeated the experiment of no stretching before running. It went fairly better than last time. Was able to last for 26 minutes and wasn't as exhausted as the previous time. I do have to say that I focused on steadying my running rhythm a lot and ran slower than usual for the first two laps (maybe half my top speed).

Though it doesn't generate the same results as stretching beforehand (for me), I'm still not convinced by these two little experiments. Will go for a third one to collect more data about this. It just doesn't seem right that my results conflict with seemingly scientifical research.
zanger

Post by zanger »

Reksho wrote:Okay, so I repeated the experiment of no stretching before running. It went fairly better than last time. Was able to last for 26 minutes and wasn't as exhausted as the previous time. I do have to say that I focused on steadying my running rhythm a lot and ran slower than usual for the first two laps (maybe half my top speed).

Though it doesn't generate the same results as stretching beforehand (for me), I'm still not convinced by these two little experiments. Will go for a third one to collect more data about this. It just doesn't seem right that my results conflict with seemingly scientifical research.
Maybe it's all in your head :d

or maybe it's because you drank a soda the night before :/

OR it could have been really warm, thereby causing lower levels of oxygen in the air due to expansion of gas :o

i'll stop being silly :)

Oh, regarding stretching--I basically never stretch before a workout. I only stretch after a workout, if I feel my muscle is tight, to prevent cramping, reassert full range of motion (your muscles tend to want to go to a certain level of 'flex' after intense workout, which can be bad). Stretching to warm up is kind of pointless, full range motion serves that purpose just as easily (like jumping jacks).
the world would be a different place without you or me but who else would realize it?
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

HurricaneHarvey wrote:Could be shin splints. http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/shin-splints
tl;dr version is take asprin or ibuprofen after a workout if its bad and ice your shins for awhile after running. Good luck on your goal Walrusfella but frankly you are practically there already so long as you keep at it.
Thanks for your vote of confidence. :) Shin splints have dogged me throughout this process, and I've always been prone to them (being tall and heavy doesn't help). What's troubling me now is occasional failure (tired acid strain) of the muscle itself, up toward the knee, which is a different feeling entirely from the shin splints further down.
dunkelfalke wrote:maybe cycling? also workouts with this latex resistance band should help.
Thanks, great ideas. I hadn't thought to use those bands. I picked up an ancient racing bicycle a couple of months ago to fix up for next spring. Should be fun. Congrats on your good run! You'll stomp week 4.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

just remember, when you cycle, shift as often as possible so you stay in the optimal (fast) cadence. otherwise you only damage your knees.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
nginx

Post by nginx »

Hi, thank you for this thread, it's really great!
I started running and am currently in the second week of the "couch to 5k" challenge.

Now I have a big request: could you post the track list of the running mixes? Especially for the first week mix. That would be really awesome!
If it's somewhere in this thread already, I'm sorry, I didn't read all of it, and found nothing with a quick search. Just link me to it then.
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

nginx wrote:Now I have a big request: could you post the track list of the running mixes?
It's in the very first post of this thread.
Good luck with running!
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Reksho wrote:
nginx wrote:Now I have a big request: could you post the track list of the running mixes?
It's in the very first post of this thread.
Good luck with running!
He means a track list - what each song title is on the mix.

And yea, it's somewhere in the thread but I've no idea, and when I was looking for it before, I wasn't able to find it either.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

I do not have the actual list of tracks unfortunately and can not find it in this thread if it has been posted. Sorry.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Went an extra half hour today, didn't tire so much. Could've gone longer but I didn't sleep much last night and didn't think it wise to exhaust myself while already sleep-deprived. It remains to be seen if this was a fluke, a general boost in stamina, or the protein drink I had prior to the exercise.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

w3d3 done, added a 8 minute jog afterwards. the pace sucked, though, due to insomnia the last few days.
i think these additional jogs are only possible because i am warm enough from the actual program.
The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Espionage724

Post by Espionage724 »

So, I read a few of the later pages on this thread, and feel as if I should possibly start exercising again. I would wake up around 5:30 AM, stretch a bit, and then do a slight jog around the block, and then jog as far as I could up some steep hill before eventually having to either take a break, or just walk the rest of the way. Afterwards I would then just get something to drink and/or eat, then proceed with my day.

My main objective is to basically improve stamina, and loosing some weight would also be pretty cool :p Plus I feel exercising will probably help out with some gaming-related activities too (osu!, Taiko, DDR, etc.). Any other suggestions as to what else I should/could do?
nginx

Post by nginx »

Althamus wrote:And yea, it's somewhere in the thread but I've no idea, and when I was looking for it before, I wasn't able to find it either.
I will look through the whole thread then. Nothing found up to page 30 yet...
Espionage724 wrote:[...]do a slight jog around the block[...]
On the pavement, I guess? Running on concrete is a bad idea, see for furher information.
I don't want to keep you from exercising, though. Don't you have some green area near you?

Today I finished w3d2, I think this week I might run on 4 days instead of just 3. There are also 4 running mixes for w3, don't know why...
ook

Post by ook »

I don't think running on concrete is a bad idea as long as you have good running form (stepping lightly, landing on your forefoot/midfoot instead of your heel, stand up straight, etc). I mean people run marathons through cities.

Espionage724 wrote:So, I read a few of the later pages on this thread, and feel as if I should possibly start exercising again. I would wake up around 5:30 AM, stretch a bit, and then do a slight jog around the block, and then jog as far as I could up some steep hill before eventually having to either take a break, or just walk the rest of the way. Afterwards I would then just get something to drink and/or eat, then proceed with my day.

My main objective is to basically improve stamina, and loosing some weight would also be pretty cool :p Plus I feel exercising will probably help out with some gaming-related activities too (osu!, Taiko, DDR, etc.). Any other suggestions as to what else I should/could do?
Welcome aboard :D

It's a good idea to start off just doing one thing (like running), then as you get more into it you can start adding other exercises.

I've heard it's better to stretch after you work out rather than before, since your muscles are warm and stretching helps them recover. Stretching cold muscles doesn't do much.

Other than that, sounds cool. I don't know if you've seen the "Couch to 5k with Emi" program ( but it's a great plan to start running, and is what most people in this thread used. Good luck dude

@xanatos, dunkelfalke, & nginx:
Keep it up guys. :) I do like reading your updates.
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

ook wrote:@xanatos, dunkelfalke, & nginx:
Right foot's sore as hell for the third day in a row. Took a break yesterday to see if it got better. It did but not completely. Pushed through it today to keep up the exercise. Walk time increases to two hours starting tomorrow (for 5 days) then increases to three followed by a stamina test which, if successful, will lead into beginning Emi's couch to 5k.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Xanatos wrote:
ook wrote:@xanatos, dunkelfalke, & nginx:
Right foot's sore as hell for the third day in a row. Took a break yesterday to see if it got better. It did but not completely. Pushed through it today to keep up the exercise. Walk time increases to two hours starting tomorrow (for 5 days) then increases to three followed by a stamina test which, if successful, will lead into beginning Emi's couch to 5k.
I hope you succeed. Three hours sounds like a lot. Then again, many people walk that amount when they go shopping without even being aware of it.