Hanako and Life of Pi?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Shadowyeclipse

Re: Hanako and Life of Pi?

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Dawnstorm wrote:
Heartless Wanderer wrote:There are a lot of good books that I just can't get into because the writing "voice" is just horribly bland. The Lord of the Rings, for instance. The Hobbit was a lot of fun to read, but Tolkien's other works tended to... drag.
I felt the same way about both Hobbit and LotR. Life of Pi is a great book. If you ever read the book, don't skip the author's note. It's actually part of the story, in a loose sense.

(*Looks at Shadowyeclipse's avatar.* Hanako escaped from the Child Broiler? Makes sense.)
Wait what...?

There's Hanako and a Penguin...
*not getting joke*
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:Wait what...?

*not getting joke*
Sorry about that. It's a penguin from Mawaru Penguin Drum. It's too complicated to explain, especially since there's no direct link (probably) between the penguins and the child broiler, but... Well, the child broiler is a place where children that nobody needs anymore get recycled (or something). It's a pretty strange show.
soleil-yuukai

Post by soleil-yuukai »

I had to read Life of Pi for school, and I enjoyed it. The central themes of the book are survival, religion, storytelling (dry, yeast-less factuality vs. the better story), and hope. I'm not sure about religion since I'm not on Hanako's path, but I guess the others relate to her and her life story in a way. On a side note, it was ironic that I played that scene with Hanako and her Life of Pi book on the day I had to finish a project on it for school. :lol:
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

soleil-yuukai wrote:I had to read Life of Pi for school, and I enjoyed it. The central themes of the book are survival, religion, storytelling (dry, yeast-less factuality vs. the better story), and hope. I'm not sure about religion since I'm not on Hanako's path, but I guess the others relate to her and her life story in a way. On a side note, it was ironic that I played that scene with Hanako and her Life of Pi book on the day I had to finish a project on it for school. :lol:
That does make sense. Actually, makes a lot more sense than I thought it does at first.

Dawnstorm wrote:
Shadowyeclipse wrote:Wait what...?

*not getting joke*
Sorry about that. It's a penguin from Mawaru Penguin Drum. It's too complicated to explain, especially since there's no direct link (probably) between the penguins and the child broiler, but... Well, the child broiler is a place where children that nobody needs anymore get recycled (or something). It's a pretty strange show.
Ah, seems odd.
Have to love Japan, though.

ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Dawnstorm wrote:Sorry about that. It's a penguin from Mawaru Penguin Drum. It's too complicated to explain, especially since there's no direct link (probably) between the penguins and the child broiler, but... Well, the child broiler is a place where children that nobody needs anymore get recycled (or something). It's a pretty strange show.
Another link between Mawaru Penguindrum and KS is the author Haruki Murakami (Hanako reading "Dance"; and MP episode 9 specifically with "Superfrog saves Tokyo"). I'm always impressed with certain animes that share themes with KS too, like Mawaru Penguindrum and Denpa Onna (Erio is like Hanako but with internal scars).
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Heartless Wanderer wrote:
Reksho wrote:
Shadowyeclipse wrote:I've picked it up, and starting to read it, so if there is, I'd appreciate no spoilers.
How far are you right now? I've picked it up as well and read a bit over 100 pages. Though it's an interesting book, it's extremely descriptive of pretty much everything it tries to convey. Yes, even for a book. Dialogue is rare.
Urgh, that kind of writing style irritates me--it always seems too slow-paced. Is the writing style at least interesting? There are a lot of good books that I just can't get into because the writing "voice" is just horribly bland. The Lord of the Rings, for instance. The Hobbit was a lot of fun to read, but Tolkien's other works tended to... drag.
A little update on my last post. Have read around 150 pages now, which is considered the beginning of the second part of the book. Now that I look back, the first 100 pages or so feel like a huge introduction to the story. The second part of the book - as it is where I am now in the story - could be an entire story on its own.

As for the writing voice of the book: it's interesting. It doesn't just blandly describe the events of the story so you can digest it easily. It tries to connect with you on a philosophical level mixed with some religious parts here and there but always rooted with rationality. It's a smart voice.
Zilveri

Post by Zilveri »

We had to go to the library and in there, I remembered this topic. I found the last Finnish translation copy of Life of Pi.

I have now read over 200 pages and I have almost forgot everything about act 1. But act 2 is very interesting, I'm starting to like this book :)
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

I haven't read Life of Pi, but I have heard several interviews with Yann Martel and I found him to be a bit distasteful. Very "up himself" in a CBC/CanLit sort of way.

I might give the book a shot though, given the Hanako connexion and what you guys have said about it. I guess you don't necessarily have to like the author to like a good book.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Walrusfella wrote:I haven't read Life of Pi, but I have heard several interviews with Yann Martel and I found him to be a bit distasteful. Very "up himself" in a CBC/CanLit sort of way.

I might give the book a shot though, given the Hanako connexion and what you guys have said about it. I guess you don't necessarily have to like the author to like a good book.

I'd suppose.

At least he isn't George R. R. Martin.

It really is a good book, and well worth my read. The ending might or might not surprise you, but it's pretty great.

Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:It really is a good book, and well worth my read. The ending might or might not surprise you, but it's pretty great.
Right on, I'll give it a go - maybe he just came across wrong. The Ceeb might just draw out the dickhead in people. :) I think there might actually be a copy kicking around my house...
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
ACSephiroth

Post by ACSephiroth »

I wonder how Hanako would feel about the new Life of Pi movie coming out this month.
Last edited by ACSephiroth on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

ACSephiroth wrote:I wonder how Hanako would feel about the new Life of Pi moving coming out this month.

She would totally drag Hisao to go see it, and then spill the popcorn everywhere whenever the tiger roars.

Speaking of Life of Pi, I was reading it a couple days ago, and someone asked me what I was reading as they pointed towards my kindle.

I never felt so triumphant in my life as I took a deep breath, looked them in the eyes, and said:
"Boy-and-a-tiger-on-a-boat."

It was the best feeling ever.

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:
ACSephiroth wrote:I wonder how Hanako would feel about the new Life of Pi moving coming out this month.

She would totally drag Hisao to go see it, and then spill the popcorn everywhere whenever the tiger roars.

Speaking of Life of Pi, I was reading it a couple days ago, and someone asked me what I was reading as they pointed towards my kindle.

I never felt so triumphant in my life as I took a deep breath, looked them in the eyes, and said:
"Boy-and-a-tiger-on-a-boat."

It was the best feeling ever.
...Welp. Everyone go home. This guy just won the thread.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

ACSephiroth wrote:I wonder how Hanako would feel about the new Life of Pi movie coming out this month.
I'm not even sure she watches movies.
Not Dead Yet
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Xanatos wrote: ...Welp. Everyone go home. This guy just won the thread.
Sweet, I WON SOMETHING!
Oddball wrote:
ACSephiroth wrote:I wonder how Hanako would feel about the new Life of Pi movie coming out this month.
I'm not even sure she watches movies.

Maybe if it's Life of Pi.

I could see her watching a movie though.