Hanako and Life of Pi?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Shadowyeclipse

Hanako and Life of Pi?

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Now, this is my first post here, and the entire reason I made an account.

Hanako was always my favorite character is KS for a while, and I could hardly play through the other paths every time I see her, but less on the waifu business...

But I remember when listening to an interview with Cpl_Crud, the original writer for Hanako's path, that he somehow based her personality, or some aspect of her story off of the book Life of Pi. I've picked it up, and starting to read it, so if there is, I'd appreciate no spoilers.

I'm just wondering what others think about this. I know he didn't actually write the path for the finished game, but Hanako's basic personality is still based upon what he originally wrote, right? I also wondered this when you initially see her in the library, and learn that she is reading a book about "A boy and a tiger" which is essentially Life of Pi, and that could have been a shout out for what some aspect of her story was based upon...

And I'm rambling.
Emibro, [Hanabro],[Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer

Currently: None.
To do list: Clannad, Chaos;Head, Steins;Gate
Finished: Toradora, Katawa Shoujo, Analogue: A hate story, Narcissu.
Xanatos

Re: Hanako and Life of Pi?

Post by Xanatos »

That scene specifically mentions the book she's reading IS Life of Pi...
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

I know, and I was asking if the book had anything to do with her story, as Cpl_Crud stated it had some sort of impact on how he wrote her route (initially.)

Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:I know, and I was asking if the book had anything to do with her story, as Cpl_Crud stated it had some sort of impact on how he wrote her route (initially.)
You'd probably have to ask the people who wrote it for any legit answer. There's a thread for that.
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
ravenlord

Post by ravenlord »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:Now, this is my first post here, and the entire reason I made an account.

Hanako was always my favorite character is KS for a while, and I could hardly play through the other paths every time I see her, but less on the waifu business...

But I remember when listening to an interview with Cpl_Crud, the original writer for Hanako's path, that he somehow based her personality, or some aspect of her story off of the book Life of Pi. I've picked it up, and starting to read it, so if there is, I'd appreciate no spoilers.

I'm just wondering what others think about this. I know he didn't actually write the path for the finished game, but Hanako's basic personality is still based upon what he originally wrote, right? I also wondered this when you initially see her in the library, and learn that she is reading a book about "A boy and a tiger" which is essentially Life of Pi, and that could have been a shout out for what some aspect of her story was based upon...

And I'm rambling.
Hi, and welcome to the forums! Just ignore the trolls, and you will have fun here :)

Two books that Hanako reads are identified and "Life of Pi" and "Dance, Dance, Dance". I ended up reading "Life of Pi" (and intent to see the movie when it is released, and I read "Dance" (and then everything else by Haruki Murakami :P )

He life is not based on any of those books per se, but they are many similarities between her personality and the themes of the books (particularly Haruki Murakami's books). The common themes are isolation, loneliness, altered perception of reality, pain, perserverence, etc. Rather than one source cloning another, what you get is a really rich woven tapestry where you can see the influences of all of those blending together.

So if you are for a a direct prequel or sequel, you won't find it. But if you enjoyed her arc, then you will enjoy the books that she enjoyed too :)
Hanako>Shizune>Lilly>Emi>Rin {100% complete}
"痘痕も靨" (If there is love, then smallpox scars are as pretty as dimples) ~ Japanese proverb
OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Hi and welcome to the forums! Just ignore ravenlord and you will have a marvelous time here. :D
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Xanatos

Post by Xanatos »

OtakuNinja wrote:Hi and welcome to the forums! Just ignore ravenlord and you will have a marvelous time here. :D

Had to do it.
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Thanks for the kind introductions.

I'll have to look into it more.

OtakuNinja

Post by OtakuNinja »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:Thanks for the kind introductions.

I take it you're a Hanabro? :)
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

OtakuNinja wrote:
Shadowyeclipse wrote:Thanks for the kind introductions.

I take it you're a Hanabro? :)

Of course.

Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Shadowyeclipse wrote:I've picked it up, and starting to read it, so if there is, I'd appreciate no spoilers.
How far are you right now? I've picked it up as well and read a bit over 100 pages. Though it's an interesting book, it's extremely descriptive of pretty much everything it tries to convey. Yes, even for a book. Dialogue is rare.
Heartless Wanderer

Post by Heartless Wanderer »

Reksho wrote:
Shadowyeclipse wrote:I've picked it up, and starting to read it, so if there is, I'd appreciate no spoilers.
How far are you right now? I've picked it up as well and read a bit over 100 pages. Though it's an interesting book, it's extremely descriptive of pretty much everything it tries to convey. Yes, even for a book. Dialogue is rare.
Urgh, that kind of writing style irritates me--it always seems too slow-paced. Is the writing style at least interesting? There are a lot of good books that I just can't get into because the writing "voice" is just horribly bland. The Lord of the Rings, for instance. The Hobbit was a lot of fun to read, but Tolkien's other works tended to... drag.
[Emibro], [Hanabro], [Lilly Lover], [Rin Kin], Feminist, Two-timer

In other words, [Manly Picnic]
demonix

Post by demonix »

All this is reminding me that I should really start reading it (I got it as a free ebook in the apple 12 days of christmas almost two years ago).
Shadowyeclipse

Post by Shadowyeclipse »

Heartless Wanderer wrote:
Reksho wrote:
Urgh, that kind of writing style irritates me--it always seems too slow-paced. Is the writing style at least interesting? There are a lot of good books that I just can't get into because the writing "voice" is just horribly bland. The Lord of the Rings, for instance. The Hobbit was a lot of fun to read, but Tolkien's other works tended to... drag.

It's actually quite a good book. I had plenty of time to finish it today, went through the whole thing in one go.

Several complaints: The beginning is very confusing, and so is when the ship sinks, you have no clue about what is going on.
Also, you are left confused about to who the hell "Richard Parker" is, until you learn it is the tiger about a few more pages into the book, because of a naming incident.

Other than that, the book is actually really interesting, and the end is a mental brick-wall, it stops you in your tracks and makes you analyze the entire book by the simple few pages.

DO NOT spoil yourself the ending, it's really, really great, especially for the philosophically-inclined.

For anyone that HAS read it: Possible Spoilers
I'm still trying to make a connection between the overall theme of the book and Hanako's plot. Most of the behaviors Pi attributes to himself in the story he tells has more to do with the stress of surviving with a 450 pound metaphorical monster aboard his boat, and not really about isolation in a sense. I just finished it, and I'm going to skim later to see if I can find any sort of theme that might tie in.
I have a feeling the carnivorous island, and the general 'taming' of R.P has something to do with the theme or message behind Pi's journey, but by now, I'm rambling and have no clue as to what I am saying.
As Rin says, I reserve the right to change my opinion at a moment's notice.

SPOILERS END

Dawnstorm

Post by Dawnstorm »

Heartless Wanderer wrote:There are a lot of good books that I just can't get into because the writing "voice" is just horribly bland. The Lord of the Rings, for instance. The Hobbit was a lot of fun to read, but Tolkien's other works tended to... drag.
I felt the same way about both Hobbit and LotR. Life of Pi is a great book. If you ever read the book, don't skip the author's note. It's actually part of the story, in a loose sense.

(*Looks at Shadowyeclipse's avatar.* Hanako escaped from the Child Broiler? Makes sense.)