The "thank you 4LS" thread.

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

darklagoon

Re: The "thank you 4LS" thread.

Post by darklagoon »

I've only done Lily's playthrough so far but I was sobbing for that one. Dat feel. I wish I had know the game was complete earlier since I feel like I'm late to the party. Thank you so much for completing this. It makes me happy to see this come through from a game/novel development standpoint due to its unusual origins.
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

darklagoon wrote:I wish I had know the game was complete earlier since I feel like I'm late to the party.
Same. Only I knew the game was complete but I just postponed playing it until now, which I regret.
Makes me think to start doing it for other games too. But then I realize that other games aren't as free as KS. :roll:
Rem Batou

Post by Rem Batou »

Where to start? Well first i'd like to say i don't talk on forums much. lurking is my hobby. being really antisocial most of the time makes it hard to break out of my shell. i watch anime like it is a religion (which might not be healthy :? ). I have never read a VN before a few months back, but then a friend let me read the VN Kanon. i had never heard of "feels" or the like. but man they can suck pretty bad. after kanon i said i would not read another VN. I have enough problems to deal with I don't need extreme depression for a week after a VN. but after a time i felt the good outweighed the bad. i'm a romantic and can't pass up a good love story :wink: . so after a long search and a lot of reading about visual novel's. i could not find even one VN that i could get my hands on (probably because i'm poor and lazy :lol: ). then i found KS. i have had heart problems in the past so i could relate to hisao in a big way. after i finished my first run (Rin's good ending) i had to keep going nonstop. took me a month working around my job and other thing, but i just got 100%. i would have been on here as soon as my first run was finished. but could not bring myself to post. but after the last playthrough (Shizune) i had to get on here and thank all of the dev for this amazing Story. moving is a gross understatement of the five good endings of this VN. they are amazing. hanako and lilly's where the best although i think about Rin's a lot more. anyways Thank you to the Dev team for this one of a kind adventure, and thanks to the fans who stayed interested in KS long enough for it to finish. i have seen too many projects fail because of lack of interest.
sorry for being long winded but i think i'm done.

Thanks again

-RB
Corinlee

Post by Corinlee »

Add another first-time poster to the list.

Just wanted to thank the Dev's for the best game that i have ever played.

It has helped me in a way that i cannot explain. But i can say that it has helped me open my eyes to the world, because there are people out there who are crippled in one way or another, and makes me realize that they are going through something that they will have to live with for the rest of their lives.

I also want to thank them for making this game so realistic, that it literally does bring out the emotions from deep down, and that i have never-ever-EVER seen anything like it. Keep up the good work guys!!!!
the four girls that have touched me most deeply
lvl5popcap

Post by lvl5popcap »

I've played a few VNs in the past, but none has affected me more positively than KS.

I used to run but stopped a few years ago. After Emi's route I started running again. Slowly building volume, but I lost about 10 lbs since I started, so feeling pretty good about that.
I used to play piano but stopped a long time ago when I was a kid. After Lilly's route I bought my first digital piano and started learning Concord.
I used to work on free adventure games with an emphasis on story and characters, kinda like KS, when I was in high school and college, but somehow drifted away from it. I'm a regular enterprise programmer now. So, it's really motivating to see a group of people complete a project like KS after all these years. I downloaded Ren'py and have been re-familiarizing myself with Python. I'd forgotten how much fun this type of development can be :D

So thank you for a job well done and best wishes to each of you on your future endeavors.
Galliano

Post by Galliano »

I found Katawa Shoujo on piratebay of all places, and it intrigued me, having never seen or heard of a VN before. After reading in the PB comments that it was a free download anyway, I headed over here, downloaded it and have never looked back since! Thank you so much 4LS, Katawa Shoujo truly is a work of art, and all my friends are now sick of me talking about it, haha!

I've had more enjoyment from KS than almost all of the PC/console games I've ever played... and ALL of the movies I've ever seen!

Katawa Shoujo will stay with me for the rest of my life and I thank you 4LS; for the wonderful experience you've given me.
Karlant

My View On KS

Post by Karlant »

Well, I'm sure a thousand topics such as this have been created, but let me throw out another...

When I first heard of this game (on /b/, of all places), I was not overly interested. However, the opinions expressed within the thread drove me to at least give it a chance. A major reason that I did not intend to download the VN in the first place was, I have to admit, due to the 'disablities' of the main characters. Like the average American, I have enough tact to pretend that a person with disabilities doesn't disturb me; in reality, this isn't the case. I've admitted to myself that even the idea of socializing with someone who had a disability such as deafness, lack of limbs, etc., was somewhat disturbing. But I digress...

I found the first parts of the story to be rather dull. I just didn't seem to be able to associate with the character. I intended to try and go down the Lilly path, since I considered her disability to be the least striking of the girls I had read about in the character section on the website, although things ended up not going as I had orginally planned. You see, after I had made some choices in what I tried to make as close to what I would do as possible, the character seemed to be strikingly similar to me. I found myself thinking that nearly everything he said or thought would be things that I would say or think in those situations (not only that, but just his base personality was akin to mine -- few friends, plans to go into science, so on), and as a result, I got sucked into the story as many others seemed to have been.

This leads me to the girl's path I ended up on: Emi's. Since the main character seemed to have been doing nearly the same things I would do, this does not surprise me. I believe that warrents some explanation: I've loved the same girl for nearly three years now. Unfortunately, she has never felt the same way about me. We do flirt often, though, and when we do it sounds the exact same as what transpires between the main character and Emi. Furthermore, Emi had the same personality of this girl. So, it's logical that if the main character (you'll notice I forgot his name already and keep trying to BS my way through it) acts as I do, he'd go for the same sort of girl that I, in real life, find myself drawn to.

That path jerked my emotions around like very few movies or books ever have. It felt like it would have if I'd have been lucky enough to not be involved in an unrequited love. The flirting scenes caused me to sweat a little; when the main character blushed, I couldn't help but feel my face heat a tad; when he became depressed over whatever events that occured, I could feel the old scars of denial that I'd manage to hide rise to the surface. By the end, things turned out well for the poor guy, and his relationship with Emi seemed secured. I can't begin to express the feeling of contentment that the ending of that gave me.

Katawa Shoujo has given me two things through this first playthrough: firstly, it has given me a whole new outlook at disabled persons. I can't yet say that I would not be a little disturbed were an amputee to come up and talk to me, but now I feel as if I can look at them more as a person, and less an armless or legless body. Secondly, the VN has given me a hope that maybe, someday, I'll be able to experience the pleasure of a successful relationship with the person I've been after for so long. True, it may be a foolish hope, but it's there, and it'll help me sleep easier.

In conclusion, while I figure that none of the developers will ever read this, thank you for your production. I really appreciated it. Also, I apologize for the length of the post (I just needed to get a good rant out), and to any disabled persons that may have been offended by my views. That was not my intent.
gorgo

Post by gorgo »

This is my first post and i feel that i have to thank the 4LS for Katawa Shoujo.
I'm an italian guy (forgive my bad english) and in April of the last year a friend of mine suggested me to play KS, he posted on my facebook wall the download link, that day i download absent-mindendly.
I ever had the curiosity about the Visual Novel and i decided to try the game while i traveled on the train toward my university for occupy the time,i admit my perplexity about the theme of the novel, the disability is a difficult topic and a visual novel can turn into a disrespectful and morbid attitude.
In few days i played KS on the train and in every moment of my leisure time, and my doubt fell down rapidly. It was a game that affected me very deeply. I appreciated the route's story intesity and the perfect charaterization of the girl. The beautiful OST that fit perfectly with the game's atmosphere
You have deal with the theme of disabiliy with a courageous and right approach, also the choice of include sex scene is a perfect example of this. Oscar Pistorius in an interview said that the most beautiful day in his life was when his collegemate play a bad joke on him, Pistorius said that was beautiful because he was considered "normal".
Katawa Shoujo caught this normality very well.
When i readed that this game was made by a volunteers team come from all the world i love this game much more than before.
You have to be proud of yours work.

Honestly grateful.
Emi=Hanako=Lilly=Rin=Shizune
Harlequin13

Post by Harlequin13 »

Hello.

Yes, hello, been a while. Well, you probably don't remember me or anything... It's not like I posted a whole lot or anything back when this game was really new. Either way though, it's nice to see these forums again.

You know, I remember it very clearly what it was like reading Katawa Shoujo back then. It was just a completely different experience from anything else I had done at that point. Sounds familiar? I bet it does for many here. Yes, I bet that Katawa Shoujo was the first VN for many. And that is one reason why I'm here now again.

I want to thank Katawa Shoujo for introducing me to the world of visual novels. Look at my signature. See those titles? Back when I posted a bit on this forum, in January/February, I was only up to one or two VNs completed. Now look how many great titles I've gotten the chance to read! All because of KS. It would not have happened if it was not for this VN. So, thank you so much, KS, for letting me know about visual novels. You showed me what this medium can do. And ever since then, I've been on some great reading adventures, you could say. Ever17? Oh my, so many great mysteries, and of course the biggest twist of them all is in there. Muv-Luv series? It might very well be the most epic experience I've ever had on my PC (yes, it's that good). Forest? A bizarre venture, that is just out of this world - a one of a kind VN. And so on...

Thank you so much, KS. You're the best.

Take care now, everyone. Have fun with your reading. I know I will.

Oh, one more thing, if anyone here happens to frequent EG (ErogeGames), I'm Harlequin on there. See you there perhaps? I'm always up for talking about VNs.
Norm

Thank You!

Post by Norm »

Thank you for releasing a free game like this of such magnitude. I absolutely loved it and upon completing it I could not allow myself to not at least attempt to thank the people that worked on it. The story, the characters, everything seems so finely crafted. The complex social binds and cultural Marxism that links us all together, I loved it! Those feelings that have deep inside us that rarely get out! It made me....happy playing it. Upon completing it Im almost sad that it must end, but it was amazing while it lasted. It made me feel things I could not imagine feeling especially so over a game with non existent characters.

At first I though I would end up with Hanako, her shyness and mystery really drew me in, but I eventually got with Emi and never went back and seeing such depth out of a digital character made me feel as though I was there and as though the game was real life.

Its amazing to see how well all the characters compliment each other and how your decisions negligently of what your intentions are effect the people around you.

I have to say, god damn. That was more fun then I have had in a game in a long time and Im not just saying that because of the sex scenes. Hell Im not even that much into Anime or most sappy stuff but in all I really enjoyed this. Thank you for having such a great thing come of light.

I did accidentally post this in Public Discussion so I just deleted that and posted it in feedback where I think it belongs.
doowee

A LETTER OF THANKS

Post by doowee »

Dear 4LS,

I’m not a kind of person who used to comment in forums. But this time I have to say something (It’s kind of late now :( ).

I will tell you guys a little bit about me. I’m 20 years old boy, a college student and currently majoring in Design. I am interested in art, music and design but not really into it that much. I think I chose design just because I don’t want to follow mainstream: choose finance and economics like most of my friends. I’m only an average, and I have problems: I feel bored, lazy and sometimes don’t want to do anything. And when I feel like that I just spend hours of messing around on the internet. I really don’t want to continue that kind of living but don’t know how to. I think I need inspirations.

One day, I saw an article on the internet talking about visual novels, telling they are “bad things for teenagers” and “fap materials”… bla bla…Feel curious and want to do something to pass the time, I researched and found Katawa Shoujo. At first I just want to know is that article right or not, but after hours of playing, it turns to be completely wrong.

I saw a Hisao who may die at anytime due to his arrythimia, I saw a Hanako whose life has been burdened with her painful past. I saw a Lilly who has to deal with her blind and lives independently when she was young. And Emi, Rin, Shizune… all of them have their own disabilities. But one way or another, they try to overcome those things to become a better person. My ideal character is Lilly. ”Lilly act 4 spoilers: The scenes I remember the most are the scene that Hisao and Lilly together in the wheat field at sunset, and the epilogue when they are heading to their future”. Combines with the music, to me it’s really emotional, nearly burst me into tears.

The moment I finish Lilly route, is the moment I realize I have to do something with my own life. I’m more into Design now thanks for the beautiful arts you guys brought me. I have my own dream, and since it has been shattered by my own issues, now I can seriously work towards it again. I will do my best to become a better person. Hisao, Lilly, Hanako… they will always have a place in my heart!

Thank Aura, Suriko, cpl_crud, TheHivemind and everyone in 4LS who have contributed to create, for me, a MASTERPIECE. Katawa Shoujo did give me more energy and INSPIRATIONS, guys!

A special thanks to NicolArmafi and other composers, for creating such amazing soundtracks!

Finally, sorry for my bad writing and English :(

Sincerely,

DooWee from Vietnam
Dylan

This has helped.. thank you developers

Post by Dylan »

Hi everyone, first off id like to apologize for any random ramblings in this post as it dosnt really have a specific topic.

A little background is needed i suppose. Recently i went through a rather difficult break up with a girl a cared about very much, she had a difficult past and i helped her recover from everything and severely helped her depression, anyways after about 2 years she broke things off which was a surprise to me as we were both very happy with each other, regardless it happened. She moved on quickly, very quickly. And i...haven't. its been a good while and yet still i'm often up until 8am just because i cant get over this whole situation. The other night i found this and decided to give it a go. its been the first outlet ive had in months. Somehow this game has severely improved my mood.

At first I wasnt so sure about, since i have never really done anything sim related, but it was nice having something to read and distract myself with but after the first hour i found myself absorbed with it all. i think i screwed up with Emi because she ended up hating me and surprisingly the break up scene cheered me up because it was exactly like how my relationship ended. exactly. Im not sure why it helped, it should have made me sad really but it did. just seeing things from a different perspective, now that i think about thats what i love so much about this, the perspectives im getting. I just finished lillys story and took a break for the night and i can barely comprehend how pleased i am. Honestly i haven't been able to open up for a long time and i feel comfortable here, reading other posts and seeing how much of an effect this game has had. I look forward to finishing up the game, Emi gave me perspective, Hanako made gave me satisfaction and Lilly just straight out made me happy. I can't thank the developers enough for the amount they have helped in the small amount of time ive been introduced to this. Also to the community, for making this place just so...comfortable. This all just gives me a warm feeling that ive been missing for so long, and although im still up at absurd hours every night this has given me something to work on and distract mysef with. It really is an amazing job and has such an immediate effect. So thank you to the developers for creating something that so many people can connect with. It really is a shame it has to come to an end though. But oh well, maybe ill see you all on the forums after i finish the story.
fans

Post by fans »

THANK YOU 4LS !! You're the best.

Katawa Shoujo has helped me in a way that i cannot explain and change me to be a better person. I've played a few VNs in the past, but none has affected me more positively than Katawa Shoujo. KS does bring out the emotions from deep down, it has helped me open my eyes to the world.
I have never-ever-EVER seen anything like it.
The complex social binds and cultural Marxism that links us all together, I loved it! Those feelings that have deep inside us that rarely get out! It made me....happy playing it. Upon completing it Im almost sad that it must end, but it was amazing while it lasted. It made me feel things I could not imagine feeling especially so over a game with non existent characters. _ Norm
I'm absolutely agree with you !

Thanks guys !!
Thanks for beautiful, touching and heartwarming story !!
Thanks for Amazing arts !!
Thanks for Beautiful soundtracks !!
and
A special thanks to 4LS for creating KATAWA SHOUJO !

Katawa Shoujo is a Masterpiece !

Sorry for my bad english...

Sincerely,
fans _ Somewhere in Asia

You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you and everyone has damage. Be the better person.
Fanuilos

Post by Fanuilos »

So I'm sitting getting ready to replay the game, and I realized that I haven't thanked you guys for making this game. It's a wonderful experience, and the fandom that follows it is amazing. Thanks for making a great piece of art!
Koi

Post by Koi »

Having only recently been introduced to this wonderful work, I really had to be dodging spoilers when I first lurked around this forum. :lol:
The art and the soundtrack are both beautiful, but even without them the story would be engaging.
I have yet to finish the routes for Hanako and Lilly, but having played (in order from first to last) Emi's, Shizune's and Rin's, I believe I can say the game is absolutely fantastic.
Thank you, 4LS. You have done something amazing, and changed the way I look at people with disabilities. I'm even planning to take classes on sign language...