Recommend a VN

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xanatos

Re: Recommend a VN

Post by Xanatos »

Flutterz wrote:This is the story of a medical student whose senses have been warped as a result of brain surgery to save his life, resulting him in seeing and experiencing everything around him as though it were made out of blood, guts and gore.
And you say that one's dark? NO WAY! :lol:
<KeiichiO>: "I wonder what Misha's WAHAHA's sound like with a cock stuffed down her throat..."
<Ascension>: "I laughed, cried, vomited in my mouth a little, and even had time for marshmallows afterwards. Well played, Xanatos. Well played."
<KeiichiO>: "That's a beautiful response to chocolate."
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Xanatos wrote:
Flutterz wrote:This is the story of a medical student whose senses have been warped as a result of brain surgery to save his life, resulting him in seeing and experiencing everything around him as though it were made out of blood, guts and gore.
And you say that one's dark? NO WAY! :lol:
I'm saying it's darker than what you'd expect even from reading that :P
Completed VNs: VNDB
Currently Reading: ef- a fairy tale of the two
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Flutterz wrote: G-Senjou no Maou - Although this one didn't keep me glued to the screen as much as the others, it still has an interesting plot about a Devil appearing in town, and has what is probably the most unexpected twist in the VNs I've read.
Flutterz wrote: a Devil appearing in town
Ehh... That makes it sound like there is some mythical aspect to the story. But no, Maou (meaning devil) is the nickname a criminal takes on, let me say for the sake of people who may look at this and misunderstand. And I don't really get why many people seem to like that twist. Biggest asspull twist of the century. The lamest part being that all the routes before Haru's were written in order to mislead the reader on purpose. Why the hell would Maou decide to give up just because his brother fell in love? (HUGE SPOILER FOR G-SENJOU)
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Flutterz wrote:Cross Channel - The first one I tried after KS, and despite it going slowing at the beginning, due in no small part to the pretty unrelatable protagonist, it really starts to get interesting a few hours in, and I couldn't put it down near the end. Can't say much of the plot because it would all be spoilerrific.
Cross†Channel was the most recent VN I finished (which was just under a month ago), I would highly recommend it to everyone here, and it is perhaps the best VN I have ever played. Most people say it is pretty boring until about week 3, but I enjoyed it thoroughly from start to finish. As well as that it had a fantastic (or perhaps love or hate would be more accurate) protagonist, equally good characters and an incredibly engaging plot. It's considered a masterpiece by many, I certainly wouldn't say they were wrong.
Xanatos wrote:And you say that one's dark? NO WAY! :lol:
Don't be silly Xanatos, that VN is all about pure love.
Mysterious Stranger

Post by Mysterious Stranger »

acewing905 wrote:
Flutterz wrote:a Devil appearing in town
Ehh... That makes it sound like there is some mythical aspect to the story. But no, Maou (meaning devil) is the nickname a criminal takes on, let me say for the sake of people who may look at this and misunderstand. And I don't really get why many people seem to like that twist. Biggest asspull twist of the century. The lamest part being that all the routes before Haru's were written in order to mislead the reader on purpose. Why the hell would Maou decide to give up just because his brother fell in love? (HUGE SPOILER FOR G-SENJOU)
I agree that the order of the arcs and how they were written somewhat contradict the continuity of the true route (Haru's), but with regard to Maou "giving up" - don't you remember how he states that he fell in love, too? In his farewell to that CEO guy whose name I forget (pretty sure it started with an S)? He's all like "This devil has found a new source of nourishment... LOVE" - remember that? Concerning the twist itself, I don't think it's legendary or anything, but I do believe it works well within the story. Even if they do place a dozen and a half red herrings in the preceding arcs.

Let me emphasize that the above spoilers will very probably ruin G-senjou completely and utterly for you if you haven't already read it. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you.
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Out-All Knight

Post by Out-All Knight »

Sengoku Rance. It stars a serial rapist with jerk with a heart of gold platings named Rance with his not-my girlfriend Sili helping Oda Nobunaga and his young sister Kou to conquer Feudal Era Japan.

Get past the rape and black humor and here lies deep and addictive strategy game with crazy amesome characters and loads of humor and even some moments of heartwarming.

Be sure you are of 18 years of age though.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Out-All Knight wrote: Be sure you are of 18 years of age though.
Seems a bit redundant on a KS forum, even more so on a thread about VNs, since they seem to mostly be 18+, at least the good ones :)
Nobody in Particular wrote:
Xanatos wrote:And you say that one's dark? NO WAY! :lol:
Don't be silly Xanatos, that VN is all about pure love.
Oh yes, the purest. Threesomes are pure, right?
acewing905

Post by acewing905 »

Mysterious Stranger wrote: I agree that the order of the arcs and how they were written somewhat contradict the continuity of the true route (Haru's), but with regard to Maou "giving up" - don't you remember how he states that he fell in love, too? In his farewell to that CEO guy whose name I forget (pretty sure it started with an S)? He's all like "This devil has found a new source of nourishment... LOVE" - remember that?
And that is exactly where the problem lies. Who did Maou fall in love with? That whole thing is entirely there just to mislead the reader so that he/she will continue to think that Maou = Kyousuke. In short, it's as if Maou IS actually Kyousuke in the side heroine arcs. But that obviously can't be true as revealed in Haru's route. Which is why that TWEEST is such an asspull.

(Massive G-Sen spoilers)
Mysterious Stranger

acewing905 wrote:
Mysterious Stranger wrote: I agree that the order of the arcs and how they were written somewhat contradict the continuity of the true route (Haru's), but with regard to Maou "giving up" - don't you remember how he states that he fell in love, too? In his farewell to that CEO guy whose name I forget (pretty sure it started with an S)? He's all like "This devil has found a new source of nourishment... LOVE" - remember that?
And that is exactly where the problem lies. Who did Maou fall in love with? That whole thing is entirely there just to mislead the reader so that he/she will continue to think that Maou = Kyousuke. In short, it's as if Maou IS actually Kyousuke in the side heroine arcs. But that obviously can't be true as revealed in Haru's route. Which is why that TWEEST is such an asspull.

(Massive G-Sen spoilers)
Who did he fall in love with? Isn't it obvious? It was Yuki!

(G-senjou spoilers of tremendously colossal magnitude)
| Can you see what I see? | To the end of the Waltz... | First stop, Nagoya! | Oh, come, lovely child! | To the World of Dreams | Pray to become starry sky tomorrow... | Please... forget about me... | No music, no future |
Nobody in Particular

Post by Nobody in Particular »

Mysterious Stranger wrote: Let me emphasize that the above spoilers will very probably ruin G-senjou completely and utterly for you if you haven't already read it. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you.
Well I was thinking of doing G-Senjou after I finish Chaos;Head, but I have already been spoiled. Is it one of those games where there is no point in playing it if the twist has been ruined? From what I hear, the twist was an asspull (as acewing already mentioned) but the epilogue was shining point of the VN.
Flutterz wrote:Seems a bit redundant on a KS forum, even more so on a thread about VNs, since they seem to mostly be 18+, at least the good ones :)
True Remembrance, Symphonic Rain, Chaos;Head and Juniper's Knot would like to say hi. Let's not forget stuff like Steins;Gate, Ever17 and Clannad too, all of which are very highly rated. That being said I understand the point you were trying to make, I was just being a little pedantic.
Flutterz wrote:Oh yes, the purest. Threesomes are pure, right?
I was being serious y'know, despite excluding some major facts. You could say that SnU is a tale about two people that love each other that they would each go to extremes to defend it in very twisted circumstances. Sounds like pure love to me.
BobBobberson

Post by BobBobberson »

Out-All Knight wrote:Sengoku Rance. It stars a serial rapist with jerk with a heart of gold platings named Rance with his not-my girlfriend Sili helping Oda Nobunaga and his young sister Kou to conquer Feudal Era Japan.

Get past the rape and black humor and here lies deep and addictive strategy game with crazy amesome characters and loads of humor and even some moments of heartwarming.

THIS! WHY THE HELL IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT SENGOKU RANCE?
Mysterious Stranger

Mysterious Stranger wrote: Let me emphasize that the above spoilers will very probably ruin G-senjou completely and utterly for you if you haven't already read it. Don't let your curiosity get the best of you.
Well I was thinking of doing G-Senjou after I finish Chaos;Head, but I have already been spoiled. Is it one of those games where there is no point in playing it if the twist has been ruined? From what I hear, the twist was an asspull (as acewing already mentioned) but the epilogue was shining point of the VN.
Well... in my opinion the final "twist" during the last 30-40 seconds of the epilogue is 500% better than the twist that has already been spoiled for you. It's actually not as much a twist as it is a small reveal that you can probably guess beforehand, but I'd say that it's one of the best endings to a VN I've seen thus far - I've only played around 7, not including KS, so take that for what you will. And the other arcs (with the possible exception of Tsubaki's, which is actually pretty fantastic up until its ending, undoubtedly the worst in the game) are definitely worth reading. Most of the bad ends are pretty salient as well, if you're the type to take the time to complete a VN 100%.

So in short I'll actually retract my previous statement. You can still get quite a bit from the game if you already know the twist that takes place during Haru's route. Also, I've said it before, but TLWiki's translation is near-flawless.

Speaking of TLWiki, does anyone know if Grisaia no Kajitsu will be worth the wait?
Mysterious Stranger

BobBobberson wrote:
Out-All Knight wrote:Sengoku Rance. It stars a serial rapist with jerk with a heart of gold platings named Rance with his not-my girlfriend Sili helping Oda Nobunaga and his young sister Kou to conquer Feudal Era Japan.

THIS! WHY THE HELL IS NO ONE TALKING ABOUT SENGOKU RANCE?
Perhaps you should try reading the previous 49 pages of posts (in which Sengoku Rance has been mentioned dozens upon dozens of times) before asking a rhetorical question in all caps like a twit.
Flutterz

Post by Flutterz »

Flutterz wrote:Oh yes, the purest. Threesomes are pure, right?
I was being serious y'know, despite excluding some major facts. You could say that SnU is a tale about two people that love each other that they would each go to extremes to defend it in very twisted circumstances. Sounds like pure love to me.
I was also being serious, except for the part in the spoiler :)
Edit:
Nobody in Particular wrote: Well I was thinking of doing G-Senjou after I finish Chaos;Head, but I have already been spoiled. Is it one of those games where there is no point in playing it if the twist has been ruined? From what I hear, the twist was an asspull (as acewing already mentioned) but the epilogue was shining point of the VN.
Well, I'd still recommend trying it, as it is good in general. If you end up seeing the twist as an asspull, then I guess you won't lose too much from knowing about it, if you end up seeing it as a good twist, then you'll probably lose out on a bit of the VN, but once again, IMO it is still worth giving a shot.
stanman237

Post by stanman237 »

I'm personally waiting for the translation of rewrite to finish.

Oh well, I get to watch Little Busters anime while I wait.

Just gonna drop this here, the main menu music of Rewrite which is probably the better then the one for clannad or the one in tomoyo after