Emi inspired running/workout

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Perposterown

Re: Emi inspired running/workout

Post by Perposterown »

Perposterown wrote:I made a mix for week 2 and you can use any youtube to mp3 software to get the mix or I will eventually provide a link to a download for the mix. It's my first mix so I don't expect it to be great but it gets the job done.
also, I will probably start making mixes for it. It's not really my point that they are good and well cut, though I will try, I just want something that will get the job done.
Lilly is master race of cripples.
Lilly: Don't apologize for it. Please don't. Have I ever apologized for my blindness? You can't help the way you were born, Hisao. There's no point in apologizing for who you are. You are a beautiful person, Hisao. Please don't ever apologize for that.
Gandara

Post by Gandara »

Been a long time, folks.

Just wanted to pop on here and say that I didn't die, and I didn't give up. I hit a bit of a rough patch, plateau'd a bit with my diet, and due to going back to school I've got a locked-up schedule now so I'm not swimming with my brother anymore.

However, I picked up a bicycle for myself, and today I biked to school for the first time. 7 miles each way, plus 1.5 miles biking to work (got a ride back from my boss whose helping fix my car), and I put in 15.5 miles today. It's more than I've ever biked in a day in my life. I feel sore all over, my knees are being jerks, and I might die, but I also feel really good.

Haven't weighed myself in quite some time, either. I think I'll postpone the weigh-ins for now, just try to tone my diet in a bit, keep cycling, and see where I end up in a while. Building muscle mass + losing weight typically doesn't show on the scale the way you want it to. :3
Diet / Exercise Tracker:
Original weight (1/1/12): 400 lbs. // Target weight: ??? lbs. // Current (1/28/13): 344 lbs. // Total lost: 56 lbs.
Current exercise: Workout 3-4x a week: jogging, weights
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." - Andy Dufresne, "The Shawshank Redemption"
HurricaneHarvey

Post by HurricaneHarvey »

Perposterown wrote: also, I will probably start making mixes for it. It's not really my point that they are good and well cut, though I will try, I just want something that will get the job done.
Once you have everything together post it and I will add it the the first post list of stuff.
Sorry for my grammar and spelling. I am not very good at those...
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

I just seem to be hanging around in this topic now, rather than the rest of the forum, so I might as well just post this here.

For... possibly years now, I've thought it'd be cool to dye my hair. Being half chinese, I've personally not liked chinese people who dye their hair brown/blonde/red, thinking that it looks weird. This left me with unnatural colours to choose from. After playing KS, I decided that I'd dye my hair either Shizune-blue, or Hanako-purple, just because.

It may've taken the best part of a year, but I finally got around to it!

Enjoy! :D

On a more related front, exercise-wise, I've been horrendously busy of late. My housemates come back this weekend though, so I'm hoping they'll be able to take a load off my plate and let me have time for a) resting again, and b) once that's done, I really want to get back to exercising again.

Edit: nb. I know this isn't Shizune-blue, I was intending to go a little darker. Might re-apply the blue again to make the colour more vibrant and longer-lasting. First time dying hair, so I'm pretty impressed with how it came out tbh.
Last edited by Althamus on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Walrusfella

Post by Walrusfella »

ook wrote:Congrats dude!

You're an inspiration to me. Even though I've lost a truckload of weight (41 kg, 90 lbs, or an entire Emi) sometimes I still have that mindset of "I'm still a fat guy, I can't run 5k in 30 minutes." But seeing that you only weigh a little less than I do now, there's no excuse. 8)

Keep it up with wherever you wanna go next :)
Wow, thanks Ook, that means a lot. That weight loss you've done is one hell of an achievement. Same goes for Dunklefalke and Gandara. I'm tall (6'4") so some of that weight is height, but I'm not exactly all lithe and svelte. Come to think of it I hope never get "lithe and svelte", I feel weird just saying that. :) I suppose I just mean that you don't have to look like a runner to run. I don't.

Groovy hair Althamus, looking good! 8) I wish I could do that, just once. Stupid job. :( Shizune blue is a cool choice; you're right, that weird mustard blonde or brassy red/brown never looks very good.

It's heartening to hear you're still going, Gandara. That cycling is a great idea. I'm pretty sure 15 miles on a pushbike would wreck me. I never was very good at that. Hopefully the scale will give you some good news in a little while. Keep it up!

As for my stuff, I'm in Scotland right now and I'm trying to keep a semblance of my routine going. Actually, I should probably clarify; I'm visiting Scotland for a while, I haven't been summoned here forever. :) Just got back from an improvised run along the Water of Leith, into the teeth of some authentic Scottish weather. It was awesome.
Half Marathon with Emi: Complete!
Bridge to 10k with Emi: Complete!
Couch to 5k with Emi: Complete!
Kadadj

Post by Kadadj »

Althamus wrote:I just seem to be hanging around in this topic now, rather than the rest of the forum, so I might as well just post this here.

For... possibly years now, I've thought it'd be cool to dye my hair. Being half chinese, I've personally not liked chinese people who dye their hair brown/blonde/red, thinking that it looks weird. This left me with unnatural colours to choose from. After playing KS, I decided that I'd dye my hair either Shizune-blue, or Hanako-purple, just because.

It may've taken the best part of a year, but I finally got around to it!

http://imageshack.us/a/img838/116/imag0036cm.jpg

Enjoy! :D

On a more related front, exercise-wise, I've been horrendously busy of late. My housemates come back this weekend though, so I'm hoping they'll be able to take a load off my plate and let me have time for a) resting again, and b) once that's done, I really want to get back to exercising again.

Edit: nb. I know this isn't Shizune-blue, I was intending to go a little darker. Might re-apply the blue again to make the colour more vibrant and longer-lasting. First time dying hair, so I'm pretty impressed with how it came out tbh.
Haha, I love that you did the eyebrows too!
Last edited by Silentcook on Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't quote images just posted, people... especially big ones.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Walrusfella wrote:It's heartening to hear you're still going, Gandara. That cycling is a great idea. I'm pretty sure 15 miles on a pushbike would wreck me. I never was very good at that.
Don't fear the bicycle. It is actually very easy to rise the mileage once you've trained for a few months. I started with maybe 2 km a day this year, now I am doing 150-200km every week. And I am still very heavy (98 kg) for my size (170 cm). Admitted, I have lost some of my stamina in the last 6 weeks, but it is probably because I am not fully recovered after the fall and have received some vaccinations, too. And if I can do that, you can do it way easier, provided you can lay your fingers on a decent bike.

I think this picture explains more than words:

The labyrinth of memories that is killing me
Althamus

Post by Althamus »

Kadadj wrote:Haha, I love that you did the eyebrows too!
Gotta make it look natural.
Routes played: Emi (10/10), Shizune (6/10), Lilly (9/10), Hanako (9/10), Rin (7.5/10)
Emi > Hanako = Lilly > Rin > Shizune
"As long as you're still alive, you can keep going." ~ Emi

100 pushup challenge
MADE HER PROUD - Final exhaustion test: 101
Enemy |

Post by Enemy | »

I tried biking at the gym but didn't really like it, so I stuck with running :P

Bad thing is I got an ingrown toenail again so it hurts to walk. While I'm running the pain stops though.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

"Biking" at the gym and biking outside are two different things altogether. When I was in Qatar I really missed my bike, so I went to the hotel gym and tried the stationary bike out. It sucked so much that after two minutes I went working out with the barbell instead.
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

I also found that exercising in a gym never gives me that adrenaline rush, or ''runner's high'' as they call it. Big enough of a reason for me to go running on the streets only.
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

So, been two weeks since I've started running. I think I'm addicted. Maybe even too much.

I have found that running in the morning gives me a huge jolt of energy throughout the day. It also makes me feel good altogether and gives me a feeling of happiness. Consequently, on days where I don't go for a morning exercise, I feel down all day without energy and a general feeling of gloom.

This puts me in a bit of a dilemma. Prior to this exercise routine, I had a general mood that was something like a middle ground between the two described above. Now, it seems that my mood is particularly determined whether or not I run in the mornings. Being a university student with a part-time job, it's almost physically impossible for me to get up every morning and go running without breaking down.

You know, I always thought that negative and depressive thoughts were something mental. Something that could be combated by psychological means, like having internal discussions in your head or talking to a friend. But now, I realize that a large part of your psychological well-being is physically based, influenced by physical exercise. And you get to have a big portion of that influence in your control.

Neat.
dunkelfalke

Post by dunkelfalke »

Same thing here, actually, except I used to be miserable all the time, and now when I cannot work out, I feel even more miserable than previously.
I found something that helps somewhat, though: taking L-Tryptophan on empty stomach before training - and the workout must be longer than an hour. That way I stay in the relatively calm mood even on weekends.
Kadadj

Post by Kadadj »

Reksho wrote: You know, I always thought that negative and depressive thoughts were something mental. Something that could be combated by psychological means, like having internal discussions in your head or talking to a friend. But now, I realize that a large part of your psychological well-being is physically based, influenced by physical exercise. And you get to have a big portion of that influence in your control.
Neat.
It's true that physical and mental health are deeply connected, but I believe your exercise-withdrawal is something that you've created mentally. You've attached a lot of weight on the running, you've felt the positive effects, and when you don't get to run, you get that withdrawal. As a person who has struggled with depression for years (now in remission, for good I hope) I've spent many, many hours researching, reading studies on the correlation between the body and mind, and both separately, and what I've written above is what my knowledge tells me.
Reksho

Post by Reksho »

Kadadj wrote:You've attached a lot of weight on the running
You hit the nail right on the head. Even though it's pretty simple, I think that's an accurate description of my situation right now. Though I do think there is a significant physical component of exercising that makes me feel good regardless of the weight I assigned to running, it's still less than I have mentally attributed. Funny thing is, just like you, I have read many studies about this subject because I study psychology myself. I actually KNOW this. But understanding and experiencing it is a completely different matter altogether. I hope you recover from your depression completely, if anything, your advice helped me see things a little clearer.

@dunkelfalke

I've read about that. It seems to increase physical performance and can even alter your mood. I'm not too sure about isolating this from my diet for the sole purpose of improving my workout, but I'll look into it.